Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Our insurance went up for the first time in 12 years. Yes I blame Obadma's healthcare bill along with a couple of other not so wonderful things that he has done with our country. Before he took office, we were able to pay our bills every month with no problem. We even had a little bit left over to put away. Since he has taken office, the money we put away is almost gone, prices are up and we are just squeaking by.
You really expect anyone with half a brain to believe that your insurance premiums have stayed EXACTLY THE SAME for 12 years until Obamacare passed? 12 years? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
BTW, for those bashing Obama on this, this HC law is essentially what the Republicans drafted in the 1990s.
Something else they have seemed to forgot. They wouldn't have a problem with it if a republican passed it tho.

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Liberals must not comprehend math very well

if the 85% is paying taxes, to then get a subsidy, did their cost go down? NO!!
My taxes went down, but then again I am not a liberal. Do you mean taxes went up only for liberals?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
Unfortunately, our health care system is horrendously complicated. This means that people are happier blaming politicians than actually understanding it.

There have been several excellent points here. That rates should go up because extending coverage to 26 year olds makes sense: expanding the risk pool means insurance companies need to collect more. Also, more comprehensive plans will be more expensive, as mentioned.

Another very important point is that most of the health care law hasn't gone into effect yet, especially the parts that effect want insurance companies can and cannot deny, and how much they can charge you. This is important for two reasons.
1. Insurance companies are raising prices while they still can. Sucks for you, but from the business standpoint, makes sense.
2.Insurance companies want you to dislike health care reform. Let us be realistic about how the business world, especially the insurance world, works. Having less power to deny expensive customers means less profit. Furthermore, what if people like the new reforms? That could mean further reforms in the future. If people liked these "radical" new reforms (actually, they aren't that radical), what next? Convert to a system where all our insurance carriers are non-profits? Actually promote competition? (Previously we had a system that moved toward consolidation.) The large companies don't want that, but they sound like big jerks if they come out and say it. Much easier to hike your prices while they can: more money for them, plus now "the people" are angry about the "outcome" of health care reform, despite the fact that most of the bill hasn't even been implemented.

Really, the problem is that the health care bill didn't do enough. Going at reforming our system kind of half way means that people have better protections, but doesn't do much to address why our system is horrendously expensive. It is widely acknowledged that our system doesn't work, but it is hard to do something about because both parties are mired in partisan fear mongering, and the head of insurance companies like being millionaires. Personally, I don't see us fixing our system anytime soon.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My taxes went down, but then again I am not a liberal. Do you mean taxes went up only for liberals?
More verification of the comprehension issue I previously discussed.. I said liberals had a comprehension issue, not tax issue.

ooh and that tax rate that went down, I guess you are one of the special ones not affected by the $670B in new taxes from the obamacare plan
Quote:
Tax increases signed by Obama into law
$17B new taxes for those who do not purchase health insurance
$52B new taxes for those who fail to comply with government insurance mandates
$32B in a new 40% exercise tax on high cost health plans
$5B cost of new ban on over the counter drugs using money from FSAs, HSAs, HRA's.
$210.2B Increased medicare taxes on wages and self employed income by .9% and imposes a 3.8% surtax on other investment income.
$15.2B cost due to an increase from 7.5% to 10% of income in threahold after which individuals can deduct out of pocket medical expenses
$13B due to a $2,500 annual cap on FSA contributions
$60.1B in new taxes on health insurances
$27B annual tax on brand name pharmaceuticals
$20B tax from a 2.3% excise tax on medical devices
$2.7B tax from a 10% tax on tanning services
$2.6B tax on insured and self insured health plans
$1.4B penalty tax on non qualified HSA distributions
$4.5B tax due to the elimination of a deduction for expenses allocatable to Medicare Part D subsidy
$600M tax due to limited deductions for compensation to officers, employers and directors of health insurance providers
$17.1B to require information reporting on payments to corporations.
$400M to impose additional requirements for section 501(c)(3) for hospitals
$23.6B tax credit removed a "black liquor" needed for cellulosic biofuel producer.
$4.5B Codify economic substance doctrine and impose penalties for underpayments.
$65.5B tax hikes in the SCHIP bill
$6.97B tax hike in the stimulus bill to repeal guidance allowing taxpayers to claim losses from acquired corporations
$2.578B tax hike in unemployment benefits law creating a surcharge tax extension through 6/11
$20.123B cost to delay the rules to reduce the double taxation of american employers until 2018.
The fact that many of the taxes are "hidden", doesnt mean you arent paying them.. More liberals lacking comprehension.

How the heck do you think Obamacare became a "tax" issue, and reduced the deficit if it didnt generate tax revenue? You guys keep getting funnier and funnier with every posting..

Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I've read on this thread at least two people that say their health care premiums have not gone up at all for years. Is that with the same coverage? No rate increases at all?

Inquiring minds would love to know who this carrier is.

Name
Address
Who do we make the check payable to ?
LOL....That's what i'd like to know. My premiums have went up every year by at least 5 to 6 % every year for the last 10 years if not longer.

And like i said before, by Dental Insurance took a mean spike these last 2 years, and Obamacare doesn't even cover dental.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I find you arguing with people that costs will go down because of subsidies in 1 breath, and then in the next justifying the need to pay for subsidies rather comical...
You don't like subsidies to help small businesses, only oil giants. Got it.

Quote:
Here, lets do the math again,
If you are paying a $100 decrease in healthcare, and a $200 increase in taxes to compensate for the subsidy, what is the net cost change?

If you are paying a $2100 increase in healthcare cost (per the CBO report) and then now paying for subsidies as well, is this an increase, or decrease in cost of healthcare? I know you can do math, now will you admit the results or try to spin it again?
According to your source, health care reform nets savings to the government. Your source's math disagrees with your understanding of it. Anyway, did you not see your source mention decrease in premium costs as well? Or, are you simply leaving that aspect to avoid looking bad? Don't worry, you don't have to try.

And you would rather not touch how costs have increased BEFORE the health care reform, right? You only want to bicker about potential increase for a small fraction of the policy holders (and most of them, because a better coverage is assumed by the holders).

Quote:
BZZ failed again as usual.. Yes I picked out the lines that said the cost would go up, thats actuall what the thread is about..
And it would also go down. But you wouldn't dare talk anything good about the health care reform, it simply wouldn't bode well for your partisan hackery.

Quote:
And while you conveniently pointed out that a few of the decreases are due to subsidies, again, WHO IS PAYING FOR THOSE SUBSIDIES? You cant ignore the fact that the TAXPAYERS ARE..
Like I recommended, if you've got issues with paying taxes, move to the utopia you dream about.

Quote:
I read it, I quoted it, you ignored it because you didnt like the fact that the CBO confirmed what I said is true.. Its clearly YOU who dont comprehend who is paying the subsidies, which makes your screen name quite comical
Pathetic. Did you even bother to read the four points I started our discussion with?

Quote:
The CBO said the cost would go up LESS if you did NOTHING..
I think you've parroted this with greater frequency than a staunch Muslim has prayed today. But hey, if you understood the points CBO made, you'd be ashamed at making it your only point in this thread. Oh yes, CBO estimates that the costs will go up for a small number of policy holders, most of whom will see higher costs because they will select wider coverage. But for most people, costs will be lower.

Why don't you tell me what was average premium for an individual nongroup policy holder was in 2009? Because CBO mentions the costs at $5800 in 2016. That will be a start.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
More verification of the comprehension issue I previously discussed.. I said liberals had a comprehension issue, not tax issue.

ooh and that tax rate that went down, I guess you are one of the special ones not affected by the $670B in new taxes from the obamacare plan

The fact that many of the taxes are "hidden", doesnt mean you arent paying them.. More liberals lacking comprehension.

How the heck do you think Obamacare became a "tax" issue, and reduced the deficit if it didnt generate tax revenue? You guys keep getting funnier and funnier with every posting..
Yes, you do need a kleenex, and probably more than one. Also, you should invite your mother over for thanksgiving this year, because you have forgotten everything she taught you about manners and respect.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
I am a government worker,, not only did my pay freeze for the next 2 years or more.. but my insurance rates went up 25%

Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,260 times
I just looked at the premiums paid by the business. They actually went down. Not a huge amount, but down. Obama has Saved us from Health care increases! I had no idea he was that good ')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies