Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...the guy has ONE hit single, and you're making him out to be Jay Z.

Again, nobody knows anything about this guy. Besides, what does that have to do with violence? Do you know why he was killed?
Who said anything about Jay-Z? You kinda brought him up out of nowhere!

How can he be both be a best-selling rap artist and yet "nobody knows anything about this guy"? That's a contradiction.

I guess its only a shame if a rapper has several platinum records before he is murdered, huh?

By the way, I'd say getting shot has quite a bit to do with violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Who said anything about Jay-Z? You kinda brought him up out of nowhere!

How can he be both be a best-selling rap artist and yet "nobody knows anything about this guy"? That's a contradiction.

I guess its only a shame if a rapper has several platinum records before he is murdered, huh?

By the way, I'd say getting shot has quite a bit to do with violence.
But what does that have to do with rap? Were the shooters rapping when they shot him?

And just like i said before, dude is a nobody in the pantheon of hip hop. The guy has one hit....and that was probably more regional than anything else. I know his record got NO LOVE here in Arizona where i live.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,027,807 times
As an "older" white guy, I don't get the attraction to rap (or tattoes either, for that matter). But back many years ago I was listening to the Rolling Stones on our living room stereo console. My father walked into the room, stopped, listened for about five seconds, and then said, "I don't know how anyone can listen to that crap."

My opinions will at times cross cultural and generational boundaries, but it is done with great hesitation. That hesitation is thanks to my father and his unsolicited, long-ago thoughts on the Stones.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
But what does that have to do with rap? Were the shooters rapping when they shot him?

And just like i said before, dude is a nobody in the pantheon of hip hop. The guy has one hit....and that was probably more regional than anything else. I know his record got NO LOVE here in Arizona where i live.
It would take all night to list the rap lyrics celebrating violent, murderous scenarios from just the last several years. You could fill a storage unit with CDs of violent rap music going back to the days of NWA.

Even though his lyrics were more "party-oriented" he was a foot soldier in an industry that surrounds itself with negative imagery. I doubt he was killed by a group of classical music enthusiasts.

And again, what does it matter how many records he sold? He was a notable young rapper/dancer with lots of young impressionable fans.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Jason Mizell?

Yeah, he wasn't exactly a hardcore guy either. But the associates of his associates? Well his affiliations caught up with him too, sadly.

Then there is Christopher Wallace...

Aw, heck. I could go on and on but its depressing to think about how these young artists were cut down when their influence could have changed rap for the better.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Homey, he runs with the idea of hip-hop, which isn't music (its a sub-culture), and as far as I'm concerned, he isn't any better than the 5 percenters.
First of all, that assumes that the 5% Nation is a bad thing. And they aren't. They've never done a damn thing to me, and i doubt they've ever done anything to you either.

Secondly, KRS can believe anything he wants. But he specifically said that he doesn't believe the black man is God. So anyone saying that he does is lying.

Thirdly, Hip hop is music. Is it an inferior brand of music? Yes. All music NOT NAMED traditional Jazz or blues (in popular music) is inferior as far as i'm concerned.

In other words, Coltrane, Bird, Miles, and Diz are the epitome. Everything else is inferior. At least IMO.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
It would take all night to list the rap lyrics celebrating violent, murderous scenarios from just the last several years. You could fill a storage unit with CDs of violent rap music going back to the days of NWA.

Even though his lyrics were more "party-oriented" he was a foot soldier in an industry that surrounds itself with negative imagery. I doubt he was killed by a group of classical music enthusiasts.

And again, what does it matter how many records he sold? He was a notable young rapper/dancer with lots of young impressionable fans.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Jason Mizell?

Yeah, he wasn't exactly a hardcore guy either. But the associates of his associates? Well his affiliations caught up with him too, sadly.

Then there is Christopher Wallace...

Aw, heck. I could go on and on but its depressing to think about how these young artists were cut down when their influence could have changed rap for the better.
Dude...seriously? The Capone gang was doing drive-by shootings with Tommy Guns in broad daylight in full view of the watchful eye of the public in the 1920's. Hell, they'd stop the car, get out, and pepper an establishment with thousands of bullets, then drive away slowly....not even in a hurry.

Again, hip hop has nothing to do with the death of this guy.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
Yeah, I don't think hip-hop in and of itself had anything to do with it. Maybe the shooters were part of a subculture that listens to hip-hop, but that's simply a correlation.

As a listener of another genre that was heavily hounded in the 80s (metal), I think it's bull****. Yeah there are some bands with ****ed up messages, but anyone who actually takes them to heart and acts on them was probably bound to snap at some point anyway. Same with video games for that matter.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Dude...seriously? The Capone gang was doing drive-by shootings with Tommy Guns in broad daylight in full view of the watchful eye of the public in the 1920's. Hell, they'd stop the car, get out, and pepper an establishment with thousands of bullets, then drive away slowly....not even in a hurry.

Again, hip hop has nothing to do with the death of this guy.
I suppose your point is that violence has been around before rap which is true, of course.

But if you think that the warm embrace of a deep sub-culture of violence has no influence on the actions of its participants then you are naive.

Neither you or I can say for sure what the cause of his death was but I would literally be shocked if he was killed by people who didn't involve themselves in a violent sub-culture that was not, in part, influenced by violent rap music.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
Why? He's doing a lot better than you.

I mean really...what talent do you have?
You've already admitted you know nothing about me yet you continue to make wild and ignorant assumptions about me every chance you get... I don't follow the hip hop industry very closely but I know KRS One personally through a business relationship and I don't see him as a great role model for kids. I've spoken to him many times, I've worked with him directly for about 7 years now so chances are I have more first hand knowledge on this than you do. He's probably the only hip hop artist I've ever come close to knowing personally other than ending up on a plane with Paul Wall about 10 times over the last couple years but he's no role model either.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You've already admitted you know nothing about me yet you continue to make wild and ignorant assumptions about me every chance you get... I don't follow the hip hop industry very closely but I know KRS One personally through a business relationship and I don't see him as a great role model for kids. I've spoken to him many times, I've worked with him directly for about 7 years now so chances are I have more first hand knowledge on this than you do. He's probably the only hip hop artist I've ever come close to knowing personally other than ending up on a plane with Paul Wall about 10 times over the last couple years but he's no role model either.
LMAO...i'm impressed, believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies