Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 05:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Energy is going to be the key.
Energy is one of the keys that the Left is using to impose ever increasing government control over all aspects of our lives. Cap and trade, the phony global warming nonsense, no new nuclear power plants, no new offshore oil drilling, deliberate weakening of the dollar, the real reason for high oil prices, deliberate monetary policies sure to sharply increase inflation, thus rising food prices, etc., ever increasing government control over what we may or may not do or use, such as the topic under discussion here; all of these things add to the power of government to impose its will on the citizenry. If you think that the real subject of this topic is just lightbulbs, you have not been thinking or reading the posts carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,297 times
I've made it through about half of the posts on this thread before I gave up... but, what I think is being lost here is that those opposed aren't necessarily opposed to the technology, but rather to the government taking away your freedom to choose for yourself which one works best for you. If LED light bulbs are truly better (and I believe that they are for many applications) people will choose them over incandescent light bulbs. Better technology doesn't happen because the government says so. We're better off when individuals (users of the technology), rather governments, pick the winners. That's how markets work.

I pointed out the oven light at the beginning of this thread because it's a situation in which incandescent light bulbs clearly cannot be replaced with LED bulbs or CFL bulbs. There are plenty of other scenarios in which incandescent bulbs are superior. For example, stage lighting for productions (incandescent bulbs tend to give off richer light) prefers incandescent bulbs.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I love LED bulbs...100 Watt is a BREAKTHROUGH... the only thing is it is expensive BUT $50 is actually really CHEAP considering 60 Watt LED bulbs are about the same price... the only issue is that I heard LED bulbs are toxic trash... they need to be disposed of in a special manner but I can't remember why or how... Also another problem with LED bulbs is their light, they tend to be spotlights rather than illumination-type lights... but the tech is getting better and I am excited to see what they are like next year...

Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeAmericanGuy View Post
Next you thing you know the libs will be tellin' us what type of toilet paper I can use to wipe my a**.

We all knew what *******s use as a toilet paper however, copies of the Ameican flag and Bill of Rights.
Ummm...actually this came from Bush admin.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep, GE's been in bed with the federal government a very long time. Most of what is going on now in regard to government interference and control in our daily lives has been in the works for several decades.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like he said, it came from the libs.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I've made it through about half of the posts on this thread before I gave up... but, what I think is being lost here is that those opposed aren't necessarily opposed to the technology, but rather to the government taking away your freedom to choose for yourself which one works best for you. If LED light bulbs are truly better (and I believe that they are for many applications) people will choose them over incandescent light bulbs. Better technology doesn't happen because the government says so. We're better off when individuals (users of the technology), rather governments, pick the winners. That's how markets work.
Are you trying to use common sense on this thread? What I see are quite a number of folks who "hate" these cost-saving bulbs due to government meddling. That's unfortunate. There are two sides of this coin and lot's of folks throw the baby out with the bathwater by focusing on only one side. I think the mandate is a sad mistake that is becoming the norm for lots of things in this country (unfortunately). But that doesn't change the fact that these bulbs use a fraction of the power--that saves me money. Totally different issues. No, I don't like the government telling me how to run my life. I decide... and I decided based not on the government, but on my wallet. Simple numbers.

There are plenty of truly frightening government mandates in our time to fight against (Health Slavery Law, for instance). But this one is at the bottom of my list. As I said earlier, the mandate aspect was a stupid mistake. The evolution would have taken place on it's own.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Are you trying to use common sense on this thread? What I see are quite a number of folks who "hate" these cost-saving bulbs due to government meddling. That's unfortunate. They are two issues and lot's of folks throw the baby out with the bathwater by focusing on only one aspect. I think the mandate is a sad mistake that is becoming the norm for lots of things in this country (unfortunately). But that doesn't change the fact that these bulbs use a fraction of the power--that saves me money. Totally different issues. No, I don't like the government telling me how to run my life. I decide... and I decided based not on the government, but on my wallet. Simple numbers.

There are plenty of truly frightening government mandates in our time to fight against (Health Slavery Law, for instance). But this one is at the bottom of my list. As I said earlier, the mandate aspect was a stupid mistake. The evolution would have taken place on it's own.
Did the auto companies offer padded dashboards, seat belts, safety glass, etc. -- in-spite of consumers desiring them, or did the federal government have to mandate them?

Did the insecticide companies voluntarily remove DDT from the marketplace or did the federal government have to mandate it?
Quote:
What I see are quite a number of folks who "hate" these cost-saving bulbs due to government meddling.
They can buy the 95 watt incandescent bulbs.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Energy is one of the keys that the Left is using to impose ever increasing government control over all aspects of our lives.
It could be that only the left recognizes the fact, while the right has its collective head in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I love LED bulbs...100 Watt is a BREAKTHROUGH... the only thing is it is expensive BUT $50 is actually really CHEAP considering 60 Watt LED bulbs are about the same price... the only issue is that I heard LED bulbs are toxic trash... they need to be disposed of in a special manner but I can't remember why or how... Also another problem with LED bulbs is their light, they tend to be spotlights rather than illumination-type lights... but the tech is getting better and I am excited to see what they are like next year...
Toxicity is not an issue with LEDs, but to some extent with CFLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I pointed out the oven light at the beginning of this thread because it's a situation in which incandescent light bulbs clearly cannot be replaced with LED bulbs or CFL bulbs. There are plenty of other scenarios in which incandescent bulbs are superior. For example, stage lighting for productions (incandescent bulbs tend to give off richer light) prefers incandescent bulbs.
I would say that LEDs would provide for greatest flexibility to lighting conditions, anywhere. As far as CFLs are concerned, the color, as with any other source, depends on the temperature. They are available with a wide variety of color temperatures. While office buildings (virtually everywhere) use bright whites, you could easily find something that is between 2700K to 3000K.

BTW, as I get it, the ban doesn't apply to all incandescents. In fact, it isn't about incandascents at all, but about efficiency. The idea is to maximize lumens per unit of energy used. If incandescent technology can deliver that, why not?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It could be that only the left recognizes the fact, while the right has its collective head in the sand.

Toxicity is not an issue with LEDs, but to some extent with CFLs.
Toxicity is not an issue with LEDs at the point of use like it is with CFLs. However, toxicity is an issue at the point of production, thus a significant proportion of these bulbs (CFL & LED) are being manufactured in China where environmental regulations are much looser. NIMBY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies