Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 PM

18,423 posts, read 9,048,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Well said! I live in "flor-i-DUH". Just bought a new place. Every frickin bulb in the place is an incandescent heat source. In my current old place I went with CFLs everywhere I could. But they are so inferior to LEDs!
Don't you just love paying for electricity to heat your home with incandescent light bulbs, and then paying for more electricity to remove said heat with AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 PM

809 posts, read 739,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Don't you just love paying for electricity to heat your home with incandescent light bulbs, and then paying for more electricity to remove said heat with AC?
Yup, so lovin how that lifestyle contributes to crapin out our planet. But hey, let's de-reg-u-late everythin. More bid-ness, less future for our world.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,639,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Vinyl records and incandescent bulbs for the sensory win.
They do have their steampunk appeal. Meanwhile technology marches forward.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:23 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,880,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
LED lightbulbs are one of the best inventions of my lifetime. Use one sixth of the energy of an incandescent, and cool to the touch. Kudos to all of the scientists and engineers who made it happen.
LEDs are up there with the rubber chicken.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:11 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,892,008 times
I have a house full of new LED's. They are an improvement. I'm all for them. I drive a plug in hybrid. I'm all for going forward with technology.

Banning regular bulbs would have been like banning the steam powered engine. Not needed. Technological improvements take care of themselves.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 PM

10,306 posts, read 3,905,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you are saying because Bush signed the bill into law, that its not liberal policies to save the environment, its the GOP's?
Yeah, that happens sometimes. Richard Nixon was the one who signed the EPA act.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Yup, so lovin how that lifestyle contributes to crapin out our planet. But hey, let's de-reg-u-late everythin. More bid-ness, less future for our world.
Yep, CFL's are oh so environmentally friendly!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have a house full of new LED's. They are an improvement. I'm all for them. I drive a plug in hybrid. I'm all for going forward with technology.

Banning regular bulbs would have been like banning the steam powered engine. Not needed. Technological improvements take care of themselves.
Are they really? <bold> I think people have been hoodwinked.

As for electric cars, exactly how much energy and hazmat is required to build that "green" car? What kind of hazmat wake does it leave when you need to replace those packs of doom called batteries? Let's also look into where the power you need to charge that car comes from..... Do you pedal a bicycle generator or get your power from a utility that generates power from burning something?

LED's have their own manufacturing issues and let's not even go into CFL's and the hazmat disaster they are...

New research shows CFLs and LED light bulbs have higher toxicity and resource depletion than incandescent bulbs

Quote:
Both compact fluorescents and LED lightbulbs qualify as hazardous waste under California and EPA protocols

New research from scientists in California and South Korea, published yesterday in Environmental Science and Technology, shows that while compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) and LEDs have better energy efficiency than incandescent bulbs, they compare unfavorably when you look at their potential toxicity (at the end-of-life phase) and resource depletion.

First, let’s be clear that the study focused on the kinds of CFL and LED light bulbs you can screw into a lamp used for ambient lighting, not the LEDs used to light flat screen TVs or monitors (more on that later). Also, the study did not consider toxicity in the extraction or manufacturing phase – but just on the end-of-life phase, assuming they were trashed, not recycled (since sadly, most people do put used bulbs in the trash).
Because the bulbs have very different expected lifetimes, they “normalized” their data on resource depletion and toxicity potential by using data for fifty incandescents, five CFLs, and one LED bulb. Even after normalizing their calculations, the team found that CFLs have from three to 26 times higher resource depletion and toxicity potential than incandescents and LED bulbs have two to three times higher potential.

Toxicity
The study evaluated the hazard based toxicity potential (on a per bulb basis), using two different methodologies. Both showed the CFLs and LEDs have higher hazard potential than incandescents because of copper, aluminum and zinc. CFLs and LEDs also had higher scores for human and eco-toxicity potentials. “The CFLs exhibit at least 2.5 and 1.3 times higher human- and eco-toxicity potentials than the LEDs, respectively, and the CFLs and LEDs exhibit at least 2 orders of magnitude higher potentials than the incandescent bulb,” according to the report.
http://www.electronicstakeback.com/2...-incandescent/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bulb-concerns/

Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,802,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Well known liberal George Bush signed this into law.

Guess that means no more decorative lights in our bathrooms!

Old 05-31-2017, 06:25 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,892,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Are they really?
Yes.

Quote:
As for electric cars,
This has been debunked so many times. The batteries are completely recyclable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies