Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,904,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Probably need a license to carry.
How do you figure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,259,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How do you figure?
You could put someone's eye out.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,904,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You could put someone's eye out.
You can do the same with a laser pointer. /shrug

Though I am interested how you figure you could put someones eye out with one of these. Do you mean pressing it to their eye ball? Or are you saying catching a direct hit of 4100 lumens to the eye will blind you permanently?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,759,373 times
If these $50 bulbs are used outside, they're gonna be stolen.
Burglars will leave the TVs and take your light bulbs.

Kidding aside, when they become affordable, I'll make the switch.
However, I will not allow those crappy curly-cue bulbs in the house.
Have you read the three page instructions on what to do if you break one?
http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.pdf

Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM

23,453 posts, read 23,797,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Right wing extraordinaire Bush enacted the regulation
...the implication being that it's a "Bush" policy/action/law/responsibility.

Great! Now we can finally see some of you guys admitting that the two largest tax increases in U.S. history are an Obama policy/action/law/responsibility!

It's about f'ing time.

BTW, Bush was not a conservative. Not by a long shot.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM

25,270 posts, read 18,419,650 times
It's too bad that this issue has become so political. For the record, I despise any government mandate on such matters. Ordinarily, as I will do with the Health Care Slavery Act (tm), I'd engage in civil disobedience and non-conformity. But as unfortunate as this light bulb mandate is, I won't buck it in this case. After switching quite some time ago to the curly-cues and a few LED bulbs, I saw my power bill go down drastically. That's really the only convincing I need. I don't use the new bulbs to conform to tyranny. If I really wanted to "rebel," I'd just use my Aladdin kerosene/oil-burning lamps exclusively (yes, I have several). But that would cost me more money and not be worth it just to buck the tyranny.

It's ironic that most people would have switched to CFLs or LEDs on their own eventually, just based on the huge savings on the power bill. But, because of the "mandate," there will be a backlash from those who don't like to be pushed around (and that's really okay with me, but in this case it's more a case of logic), just as their will with the health care thing. If you want the benefits of something to be shunned, just have the government mandate it. Totally counterproductive--that's what the left doesn't understand.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-17-2011 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM

76,857 posts, read 47,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
News flash, buying the cheaper ones are going to be illegal in a few months
You can stock up now, and use them in the future. I believe they won't be off the shelves until 2012, so you have plenty of time to stock up.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If these $50 bulbs are used outside, they're gonna be stolen.
Burglars will leave the TVs and take your light bulbs.

Kidding aside, when they become affordable, I'll make the switch.

Actually if they were to cost $50 a piece you wouldn't be kidding.

Quote:
However, I will not allow those crappy curly-cue bulbs in the house.
Have you read the three page instructions on what to do if you break one?
http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.pdf
Mercury evaporates, ventilate the room and clean it up with some tape. Put the tape in sealed bag. Not so sure I like the vacuum cleaner suggestion.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,850,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can stock up now, and use them in the future. I believe they won't be off the shelves until 2012, so you have plenty of time to stock up.
And if I didnt have the money to just "stock up"? Well i guess that would be sucks to me poor right? You seem to be avoiding the point on purpose..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's ironic that most people would have switched to CFLs or LEDs on their own eventually, just based on the huge savings on the power bill.
I've been using CFL's for years for that reason however I don't use them for outdoor lights. By the time it heats up enough I'm usually turning the damn thing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies