Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
To each his own the bottom line is that Common is an award winning and popular artist with many young people around the world.
That's great. Maybe someday he will decide to start recording music and singing!
I can see why so many (and it is many) young people would rather listen to oldies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
And OJ Simpson was a great running back and funny actor and was popular with young Americans during his time. Big deal.

I guess if any celebrity were to commit a crime, it wouldn't matter to you. Hitler wrote a book you know.

And what crime did Common commit??

When it comes down to it sometimes guilty people are found Innocent, sometimes Innocent people are found guilty. Sometimes someone thinks a person is guilty when they are innocent, sometimes someone thinks a person is innocent when they are indeed guilty.

That is what this whole thing is really about. Disagree with Common on thinking she is innocent or didn't receive a fair trial?? Fine, but don't start making suggestions he supports or celebrates cop killers because he thinks someone found guilty was innocent.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
And what crime did Common commit??

When it comes down to it sometimes guilty people are found Innocent, sometimes Innocent people are found guilty. Sometimes someone thinks a person is guilty when they are innocent, sometimes someone thinks a person is innocent when they are indeed guilty.

That is what this whole thing is really about. Disagree with Common on thinking she is innocent or didn't receive a fair trial?? Fine, but don't start making suggestions he supports or celebrates cop killers because he thinks someone found guilty was innocent.
My point was about the Troopers Union and their legitimate gripe about Common being invited and I'm sorry, but Common clearly supports this particular cop killer.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM

50 posts, read 48,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
My point was about the Troopers Union and their legitimate gripe about Common being invited and I'm sorry, but Common clearly supports this particular cop killer.
He believes she was innocent. Its not like there aren't similar cases. Look it up. You're acting as if Common is saying killing cops is a good thing to do.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Common is not a Murderer. Common believes (correctly or incorrectly) that Assata Shakur is not a Murderer. Her conviction for murder did not require evidence that she actually murdered anyone. Her mere presence at the scene was all that was required. In fact, the evidence presented at the trial would indicate that she did not murder anyone or even fire a weapon.

So in this case no one is supporting a murderer or cop killer.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The police Unions around here are VERY Republican, and no I don't think they have a legit beef.

Police, or sheriff?

Sheriffs are elected by the people, a police chief is hired & appointed by the city council, who statistically in metropolitan urban areas, are a big majority, Democrat Progressives.

Small rural towns and communities that are actually big enough to have a Police force, can go 50/50 one way or the other.

They are all on big power trips. The bullies in school, ALL, yes ALL, became cops.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Common is not a Murderer. Common believes (correctly or incorrectly) that Assata Shakur is not a Murderer. Her conviction for murder did not require evidence that she actually murdered anyone. Her mere presence at the scene was all that was required. In fact, the evidence presented at the trial would indicate that she did not murder anyone or even fire a weapon.

So in this case no one is supporting a murderer or cop killer.
Please, since you have all the evidence, do tell.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
I think Stewart won that debate. One thing I love about Stewart is that he will go on any show to have these debates and discussions. He comes ready, shows how intelligent his argument is and is not afraid of losing. People like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and any other extreme Republican would never have the guts to go on the Daily Show. In fact, I would love for Stewart to moderate a Presidential debate so all the candidates are forced to answer to Stewart.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM

180 posts, read 188,535 times
A Song For Assata is a great song.

YouTube - Common - A Song For Assata

And yes, if you're a uptight, crusty old conservative..it will probably offend you.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I think Stewart won that debate. One thing I love about Stewart is that he will go on any show to have these debates and discussions. He comes ready, shows how intelligent his argument is and is not afraid of losing. People like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and any other extreme Republican would never have the guts to go on the Daily Show. In fact, I would love for Stewart to moderate a Presidential debate so all the candidates are forced to answer to Stewart.
Really want this to happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies