Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times

Advertisements

I'm all for ensuring there are translators but not at taxpayers expense. I'm sure there are plenty of legal entities that would offer this assistance for free, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm all for ensuring there are translators but not at taxpayers expense. I'm sure there are plenty of legal entities that would offer this assistance for free, no?
Yeah right.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I have to disagree with the whole original premise, that immigrants don't want to learn English. I work in a medium size urban library, and our ESL classes (English as a second language), are consistently oversubscribed and always filled to the max. Plus, they pay for it. These people are as motivated to learn English as they were to come to America.

On the other hand, we have no demand for classes from people seeking to learn Spanish, which is too bad, a simple "Hola" goes a long way.
I've no reason to learn Spanish. They've a reason to learn English.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
obviously these people woke up one sunny morning in Mexico and thought, "Damn, I'd like to go to the united states and pick a fight with the legal system"
No, they are too busy collecting handouts paid for by US taxpayers to worry about "picking fights with the legal system".

Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
So people who voluntarily move to another country without any sort of fluency in the country's dominant language and continue to live in that country without knowledge of the country's dominant language are not to be condemned. Indeed they are they to be provided with interpreters at public expense.

But Americans who dare voice the slightest bit of indignation that someone would move here ignorant of our country's language and then demand that Americans provide them with publically paid interpreters -- those are Americans are nothing more than bigots, xenophobes and racists?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
No, they are too busy collecting handouts paid for by US taxpayers to worry about "picking fights with the legal system".
[Citation needed]

AFAIK illegals can't collect welfare, unless they either have false documents (which is a serious crime but also says something about how awful we are at verifying the legitimacy of documents) or have US-born children in which case I believe they can receive WIC and/or SNAP.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,993,794 times
Default The Good Folks In The States Really Need To Wake Up & Demand This Matter Be Addressed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Live here...learn the language.

End of story.
Fox Terrier !!! ... Three Thumbs Up For You !

Precisely ... We are a nation of laws and bloody good ones too! ( If only the twits in so called charge would actively enforce them)!

Don't want to learn bloomin English and comply with legal immigration laws ... Don't come here ! Like Fox Terrier Says : End of story

Jolly Good Post Fox Terrier !!!

Ta / Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies