Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Someone send this guy golfing...Syria now ?
Don't we have our hands full with Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya ?
Really ?

Oh and BTW..we're going to give MORE money away to ME countries
And Egypt..forget that $1billion you owe and and here's a guarantee for another $1 billion.

Obama to pressure Assad, offer aid to reformers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110519/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_mideast - broken link)
"President Barack Obama will use a sweeping Middle East speech on Thursday to sharply defend new sanctions on Syrian President Bashar Assad as the U.S. government toughened its message for the repressive leader: Embrace democracy or get out. In a primary thrust of his address, Obama will also announce aid to countries that embrace reforms, hoping to steer a region roiling in violence toward democratic change that lasts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
The most dangerous president ever is going to start WWIII before we can yank him out in 2012.
Thank you Obama for making Americans less safe at home and abroad.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
The planners are planning again. This is kinda surprising to me. Either Obama is a hawk or he believes he doesn't know enough about foreign policy to questions the people he's surrounded himself with.

You would think he would have learned, though, with Libya. If you tell a leader of a country he's got to go you need to be prepared to lose big and be severely undermined if he doesn't.

Is the power changing him? I remember reading an article in the Harvard Law Review that had Obama as clearly a dove and very naive on what the Reagan administration was trying to accomplish with the SU.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Yeah, right, if he were to keep quiet, nutjobs will accuse him of inaction and inefficiency.

Frankly, I'm kind of bored with the 1-0 binary bouches

Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Someone send this guy golfing...Syria now ?
Don't we have our hands full with Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya ?
Really ?

Oh and BTW..we're going to give MORE money away to ME countries
And Egypt..forget that $1billion you owe and and here's a guarantee for another $1 billion.

Obama to pressure Assad, offer aid to reformers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110519/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_mideast - broken link)
"President Barack Obama will use a sweeping Middle East speech on Thursday to sharply defend new sanctions on Syrian President Bashar Assad as the U.S. government toughened its message for the repressive leader: Embrace democracy or get out. In a primary thrust of his address, Obama will also announce aid to countries that embrace reforms, hoping to steer a region roiling in violence toward democratic change that lasts."
GWB wasn't right very often, but I gotta give W credit for anticipating the democracy movement in the ME. Many of the so-called experts thought Bush was out of his mind, but events have proved him right.

So, he was off by a decade! And mistaken that we could export democracy at bayonet-point.

It is Obama's fate to be president when W's ME Democracy baby is being born. It is a messy time ( just like a real child birth). Obama is a pragmatist (unlike W, who was an idealist), and he is taking the pragmatic approach, tayloring our response to each country (what works in Egypt won't work in Libya, and neither strategy will work in Syria, for example)

Obama and his DS/DD team deserve a lot of credit, up to this point, for knowing when to use force, and when to play wait 'n see. So far, so good, but it is a very dynamic situation, to say the least.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Yeah, right, if he were to keep quiet, nutjobs will accuse him of inaction and inefficiency.

Frankly, I'm kind of bored with the 1-0 binary bouches
Wait..are we going backwards now ?

Didn't Obama get into office on his promise to get OUT of the ME ?
Didn't he win a Nobel Peace Prize ?

How many simultaneous wars can the US manage ?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wait..are we going backwards now ?

Didn't Obama get into office on his promise to get OUT of the ME ?
Didn't he win a Nobel Peace Prize ?

How many simultaneous wars can the US manage ?
I don't see any invasion force landing in Libya or Syria, did you see any

Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So only "boots on the ground" counts ?
What happens on Day 61 in Congress regarding Libya ?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
And your crystal ball tells you beyond a shadow of a doubt none will be forthcoming?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Do you understand the implications of a U.S. president calling for the removal of another leader of another sovereign country? It's not like Obama can say "just kidding" if the guy doesn't leave. He backed himself into a corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies