Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times

Advertisements

NYC Political Strategist Says Southwest Airlines Told Her And Mother They Must Buy 4 Seats « CBS New York

Again Southwest Airlines is in the middle of a controversy because of their "too fat to fly" policy.
It's funny and sad at the same time.
I agree that if a person takes up more than one seat they need to pay for how ever many seats they occupy, but I disagree with them publically humiliating her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Southwest has the best business model of any airline, and it shows with their no BS non-PC attitude. I will help make up for anyone boycotting them.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Southwest has the best business model of any airline, and it shows with their no BS non-PC attitude. I will help make up for anyone boycotting them.
I have flown SW for many years and I have NEVER encountered anyone rude, and that is why people love them. I bet the 2 ladies were probably mad because they didnt serve free donuts instead of peanuts.
I will continue to fly SW, of course I'm not bigger than a barn either.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
"It was rude. It was in front of lots of people,” said Tiggeman
Tiggerman was so distraught that she had to go on CBS and tell lots more people.

Southwest is always my first choice when flying.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I disagree with the Airline. I believe the airlines are selling transport, not seats. If a given individual requires more than one seat to be transported then they should be provided with more than one seat. Only the airline accountants see the airlines as selling seats for the convenience of calculating costs.

This is no different than a bus company having to be able to transport a wheel chair bound passenger even if the accommodation costs more than a regular seat. Bus companies are also selling transportation and not just seats.

I pay a bus company to take me to Boston and back every day in a seat. I would not be paying the fare if the seat and I stayed in Londonderry.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Again Southwest Airlines is in the middle of a controversy because of their "too fat to fly" policy.

If you ever have to sit next to someone that is obese, you will appreciate them being required to buy two seats.

This is a no brainer. Airlines should have a passenger sizer like they do for baggage. If you can't fit in this space, you must buy two seats......

Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I disagree with the Airline. I believe the airlines are selling transport, not seats. If a given individual requires more than one seat to be transported then they should be provided with more than one seat. Only the airline accountants see the airlines as selling seats for the convenience of calculating costs.

This is no different than a bus company having to be able to transport a wheel chair bound passenger even if the accommodation costs more than a regular seat. Bus companies are also selling transportation and not just seats.

I pay a bus company to take me to Boston and back every day in a seat. I would not be paying the fare if the seat and I stayed in Londonderry.
Right as usual.
Airlines should forgo any profits and take a bailout whenever possible.
Better yet, they should be subsidized to the point of nationalization, because we know how fair and timely the government runs things.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:49 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
I'm flying Southwest on Saturday (and back again next week). I'm a fatass, and I'm prepared to buy a second ticket if they make me. All I ask is to be treated respectfully if they decide I need to.

My wife and I are flying with our 8 year old son (who has his own ticket, obviously) and we sit in a 3 seat row with him between us, not intruding on any strangers, there is PLENTY of room for all 3 of us, so I'm hoping it's not an issue. I do require a seat belt extender but I fit fine with the armrests down.

I've never had to buy a second ticket before, and I've only once flown when I was noticeably lighter then I am now. (we fly very rarely) But it seems this "issue" is more important to Southwest now then it was the last time I flew a few years back.

I guess we'll see. {shrug}

Old 05-19-2011, 05:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
The only issue I have with SW over this is their apology. Why apologize?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Airlines are only doing this for wheel chair bound passengers due to federal law and PC bs. Southwest is taking a risk by doing this, but I think it will pay off. Airlines are also bleeding red. They cannot afford to fly fatties at the same price. Southwest lucked out with cheaper oil futures years ago but their profits are getting razor thin and they're the only airline that's eeking a profit. I personally welcome an airline that discounts based on healthier individuals who elect to be weighed at check-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies