Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
$11.9 trillion of that is Bush debt.

Just wanted to point that out in the interest of accuracy.

Wingnuts like to focus on the most recent $2.9 trillion while ignoring the big chunk. Deflect and spin. Anger and spittle.

How can $11.9 trillion of that be "Bush debt" when the debt was $8.7 trillion when he left office? Liberal math?

Keep in mind that the debt and spending only got out of control with Bush when the democratic congress gained control. Also keep in mind that CONGRESS CONTROLS SPENDING.

So much for "accuracy". It is difficult to liberals to actually face the facts that the Obama presidency has been a disaster for the nation. However, everyone else, recognizing this, will get a chance to express thier opinion of Obama again in 2012. It will not be pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In the near future people will be eating out of dumpsters and eating weeds, so he may get his wish.

Just those in the inner-cities.

A country boy can survive.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
With all the crap going on in this country, and a new war, but someone in the 0bama admin, or immediate family, does not like the potato, and it needs to be eliminated in our life time. Our very live may depend upon it!!!!

We have liberal busy bodies who want, to use the outsized power of federal government, to force their own personal decisions onto the entire nation

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is proposing to eliminate the "white potato"—defined as any variety but the sweet potato—from federally subsidized school breakfasts and to limit them sharply at lunch.

At a March Senate hearing on the USDA budget, Sen. Susan Collins (R., Maine) hoisted a standard-fare brown-skinned spud in one hand and, in the other, a head of iceberg lettuce, which hasn't come under explicit federal scrutiny. One medium white potato contains nearly twice the vitamin C "as this entire head," she said, asking: "So my question, Mr. Secretary, is what does the department have against potatoes?"

Proposal to Cut Back on Potatoes in Schools Causes a Food Fight - WSJ.com

“Kids are not eating enough vegetables and when they do eat vegetables they are eating potatoes way too often,” says Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest, which pushed for the standards. “Too much of anything, even a good food, isn’t healthy because people need to eat a variety of foods.”

Lawmakers defend french fries as government limits potatoes in school lunches - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/lawmakers-defend-french-fries-as-government-limits-potatoes-in-school-lunches/2011/05/18/AFuBmK6G_story.html - broken link)

These are the same people who use government to ban, restrict and criminalize manufactured products, foods, and activities, simply because they personally don't like them.
Whats wrong with changing the types of food kids eat on public money?

Last I checked, if you want your kid to eat tater tots, hohos, and Devils Squares for lunch, with chocolate syrup to drink, you can do that. Just send it with them to school. And they aren't talking about eliminating it, just lowering the number of days its on the menu with healthier options.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Uhm, it's the USDA's job to regulate that. You honestly think Obama's given more than a couple minutes of his time to the matter?
I dunno Obama kinda has the look of a potatoe if you ask me.

The Govt is probably getting ready to tell us we will have cake.

At first that might sound pretty good, but if it does, you don't know what cake really is.

Anyway I don't care. I got taters in the ground right now and 40 pounds harvest in storage still from last year. So I KNOW I will be eatting all the taters I like. That doesn't even count what has been processed and frozen.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
If they're federally subsidized then shouldn't the feds have some say in what they're paying for?
Not really since it isn't the fed money really, that supposed money is ours...

Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
So the USDA is indirectly discriminating against the Irish ?
OMG...we have to fight this....

No potato left behind !

FWIW the potato is filling but not fattening and has almost every vitamin/mineral we need for our health. It's not the potato that is bad but how we prepare it and what we put on it.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
It only applies to white potatoes, eh? I guess the red, purple and blue fleshed potatoes are okay then.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
No but I guarantee its his wife meddling in our kids school lunch. I truly despise that sasquatch.

wow? quite a misogynist.

Who cares what the kids eat, its a free market.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It only applies to white potatoes, eh? I guess the red, purple and blue fleshed potatoes are okay then.
Yeah too many of those white potatoes in America. Time to mash them out of existance.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow? quite a misogynist.

Who cares what the kids eat, its a free market.
Yeah I learned that lesson caring about what kids eat.

The odd part was I was in a hardware store and the kid was trying to drink red lamp oil. His mother sure told me what was what.

So next time I see any kid trying to drink lamp oil I should just let that happen right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies