Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So after we give tax breaks to the rich and give subsidies to billion-dollar corporations, what do they do?

Companies are hoarding money and the rich are investing overseas

Even worse is I bet when their investments in BRICS nations(Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) come crashing to earth---these same rich people are going to beg for some sort of bailout and companies will demand increased subsidies.

And what will happen then? Their lap dogs Obama and Boehner will deem them 'too big to fail'.

And the cycle of govt welfare for the rich and powerful will continue.

How lucky we are.
Huh? do have any clue as to what you are talking about? Apparently not. OK, Family's are not industry and have never asked for bailouts and are not likely to ask for or receive such.

What is wrong with investing money overseas? If they can earn more on thier money investing there what's the problem. You can too, there is nothing unpatriotic about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
So are the poor.

Obama just pledged $800 Million to Jordon and $1 Billion in debt relief to Egypt.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
How lucky we are.
You didn't give the rich anything, they earned their money, then government wanted through taxation to be the majority partner financially in their life.
I don't blame the people who leave the USA for Switerland to avoid the death tax, the bad business climate and the government employee elite and the massive welfare state.

Why should the government expect people to want to work 8 months of their life to pay the government?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:19 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
So after we give tax breaks to the rich and give subsidies to billion-dollar corporations, what do they do?

Companies are hoarding money and the rich are investing overseas

Even worse is I bet when their investments in BRICS nations(Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) come crashing to earth---these same rich people are going to beg for some sort of bailout and companies will demand increased subsidies.

And what will happen then? Their lap dogs Obama and Boehner will deem them 'too big to fail'.

And the cycle of govt welfare for the rich and powerful will continue.

How lucky we are.
I have money invested overseas in various stock and bond mutual funds. i don't get what the big deal is. Some countries have their financial houses in better order than the US. It's only natural to want to invest in those countries where that's the case.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:53 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
My contention is not with people who are saving for their retirement or simply diversifying their investment portfolio. That's understandable.

No, my contention is with my peers who claimed one thing but are now doing another.

We just had a duel to the death over a $700 Billion tax break for the rich extension and as usual, Obama and the Dems caved.

Corporations have been reaping the benefits of outrageously generous government tax subsidies, laxed government regulation and huge corporate bailouts, which has given rise to a collective $1 TRILLION in cash-on-hand for our nations corporations.

SUPPOSEDLY THAT MONEY CLAIMED REPUBLICANS, WAS GOING TO CREATE JOBS IN AMERICA AND GROW THE ECONOMY.

It would have been nice if they had clarified that they actually meant that it would create jobs and grow the economies of OTHER COUNTRIES.

I suppose that would have been a much harder sell to the American people.

I dunno folks, maybe its the fact that my parents are Immigrants who taught me that nowhere in the world is like America-or maybe its because Ive been everywhere and know first hand that nowhere else can house 300 Million people and maintain the quality of life we have in this country.

Maybe its because I think our nation is a beacon of light to the world. As Ronald Reagan said "A shining city on a hill". Well folks, it costs money to keep that light shining-LOL. And Im a democrat for heavenssakes. Maybe its my sense of loyalty to our collective as opposed to myself that causes me to mourn this lack of faith people have in this country. Especially the lack of faith by people who have been most blessed by this country. I dont get that.

When the very people who hold in their hands, the means to exact positive change in our economy-actually take those means and spend them elsewhere because they have no faith in America, then we should have no sympathy for them when things tank overseas and they come crawling back hands extended for some sort of relief.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
No, my contention is with my peers who claimed one thing but are now doing another.
There is no claiming one thing, and then doing another.. money invested overseas is still taxed here..
Quote:
We just had a duel to the death over a $700 Billion tax break for the rich extension and as usual, Obama and the Dems caved.
Lie.. there was no tax break, nor did this result in any decrease in revenues to the federal government.. The revenue to the government remains rather consistant, about 19.5% of the GDP
Quote:
There is no claiming one thing, and then doing another.. money invested overseas is still taxed here..
Quote:
Corporations have been reaping the benefits of outrageously generous government tax subsidies, laxed government regulation and huge corporate bailouts, which has given rise to a collective $1 TRILLION in cash-on-hand for our nations corporations.
OOOH NO.. Companies have cash on hand, about FOUR MONTHS worth of government spending.. the tragedy, the hoarding, the shock!!

Are these "subsidies", the oil subsidies, which is an OUTRIGHT LIE, because they dont exist?

ooh and those corporate bailouts, nope.. wrong there as well, most of the has been repaid. btw, it was Democrats who supported these bailouts, not the GOP.
Quote:
SUPPOSEDLY THAT MONEY CLAIMED REPUBLICANS, WAS GOING TO CREATE JOBS IN AMERICA AND GROW THE ECONOMY.
Considering the GDP has continued to grow, jobs are being created, I'm not sure what evidence you have to show this isnt true.
Quote:
It would have been nice if they had clarified that they actually meant that it would create jobs and grow the economies of OTHER COUNTRIES.
So when Obama and the Democrats say our economy is growing, jobs are being created, you are telling me they are lying?
Quote:
When the very people who hold in their hands, the means to exact positive change in our economy-actually take those means and spend them elsewhere because they have no faith in America, then we should have no sympathy for them when things tank overseas and they come crawling back hands extended for some sort of relief.
Investing elsewhere doesnt equate to no faith in america. Your whole argument failed on numerous accounts.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
My contention is not with people who are saving for their retirement or simply diversifying their investment portfolio. That's understandable.

I suppose that would have been a much harder sell to the American people.

I dunno folks, maybe its the fact that my parents are Immigrants who taught me that nowhere in the world is like America-or maybe its because Ive been everywhere and know first hand that nowhere else can house 300 Million people and maintain the quality of life we have in this country.

Maybe its because I think our nation is a beacon of light to the world. As Ronald Reagan said "A shining city on a hill". Well folks, it costs money to keep that light shining-LOL. And Im a democrat for heavenssakes. Maybe its my sense of loyalty to our collective as opposed to myself that causes me to mourn this lack of faith people have in this country. Especially the lack of faith by people who have been most blessed by this country. I dont get that.

The extension of the Bush cuts were for people, not corporations.
Corporations expanding overseas has nothing to do with the Bush cuts letting people keep more of their income.

The cuts did not amount to "new money" in circulation..people got to keep money they had been getting for almost a decade.

The extension wasto keep consumers spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies