Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Willing to take a pay cut to bring unemployment down?
Yes I believe in the free market 22 39.29%
No, I don't believe in the free market 34 60.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please provide a link for that!
I learned it in business school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What does that have to do with jobs today? Back then there was a whole different economical time. They could do that back then because companies could be counted on to be responsible to pay there workers a decent wage. Then company owners got greedy and they have to install a min wage so people were paid a decent wage. Capitalism has only made the business owners wealthy.
The laws of economics have not changed.

Once again why do we need a minimum wage law? Over 98% of all Americans make more than minimum wage. If you were correct every job in the U.S. would pay minimum wage.

Capitalism has made everyone that participates in it wealthier.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The laws of economics have not changed.

Once again why do we need a minimum wage law? Over 98% of all Americans make more than minimum wage. If you were correct every job in the U.S. would pay minimum wage.

Capitalism has made everyone that participates in it wealthier.
Uhh... The very definition of capitalism must leave someone capitalized upon.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I learned it in business school.
So show a link. I'm just a dumb nurse.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Back in the Good Ol' Days those kids could be making 6 cents a ton at a Massey mine rather than playing video games and learning to read. We didn't need day care then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MFN8yiVc0

Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Back in the Good Ol' Days those kids could be making 6 cents a ton at a Massey mine rather than playing video games and learning to read. We didn't need day care then

YouTube - ‪A Christmas Carol -- Ignorance & Want‬‏
Today they wouldn't be in mines, they'd be in hospitals, schools, firehouses... etc. Man it'd be like an episode of Star Trek, or somethin'.

Wait

Last edited by BigJon3475; 05-22-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
In the Global Free Marketâ„¢, you have workers in China and India making pennies on the dollar doing industrial work and manual labor, manufacturing the products you see in Wal Mart.

In a true global free market, people are paid what they are worth. If Americans want manufacturing, call center, and all of those other jobs that have been outsourced over the past 30 years, American's must be willing to accept the global market rate wage for their particular profession.

No traffis, no import duties, no extra taxes for corporations. In a global economy, you will be paid global wages, period.

What do you guys think?

That's a living wage if everyone is making it...

Old 05-22-2011, 01:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
In the Global Free Marketâ„¢, you have workers in China and India making pennies on the dollar doing industrial work and manual labor, manufacturing the products you see in Wal Mart.

In a true global free market, people are paid what they are worth. If Americans want manufacturing, call center, and all of those other jobs that have been outsourced over the past 30 years, American's must be willing to accept the global market rate wage for their particular profession.

No traffis, no import duties, no extra taxes for corporations. In a global economy, you will be paid global wages, period.

What do you guys think?

I'll give you a free market in labor if you give me a free market in housing. Since Americans are unwilling to allow a free market in housing, a free market in labor would only produce massive homelessness.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
We know, from both economic and logical perspectives, that an employer will not pay a given wage unless the value produced by the work exceeds the wage paid. Marx analyses those connections much more intricately in his pamphlet, "Value, Price, and Profit"

In a free market, workers are paid what their employers deem them to be worth. That is to say, what their employers can get away with paying them. That figure has no relation to the workers' intrinsic value as human beings, nor does it even correspond to the amount of value those workers produce.

In the early days of coal mining, the work was not only extraordinarily dangerous, it was very low paying. It was only when miners organized into labor unions that wages rose significantly. The miners were the same, the mines were the same, the work was the same, and the mining companies were the same; and yet, the companies were paying a lot more in wages to the miners they employed. Did the actual value of the workers or of the work go up?: no, the only thing that had changed is that the miners demanded a larger share of the profits derived from their labor.

Workers in nations which are traditionally challenged economically, will accept what little they're offered...for a while. But eventually, like the late nineteenth century miners in the US, they will demand a larger share of the profits produced by their labor.

The virulent and exploitive form of hyper-capitalism that has taken root in the world today cannot continue to exist for long because it is causing the destruction of the middle class. Human morality aside, the system will implode from its own arrogance and greed. I suspect that Adam Smith would be appalled at what is passing for a "free market" today.

Workers of the World...Unite.

This is Marxism at its best! Remember you have nothing to lose but your chains. But also remember if you want a image of the future it a human face being pressed ito the ground by a booted foot.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So show a link. I'm just a dumb nurse.
Sorry. I'm not your research assistant.

If you don't believe me I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies