Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Otherwise it's frankly none of your business....
Then I suggest not posting such topics on a public forum.

Quote:
Civil Unions are fine with me as long as I have the special rights afforded heterosexuals in this country; since I'm apparently good enough to pay equal taxes relative to my heterosexual peers.....I want equal rights.
The post I was responding too, if you bothered to keep up, suggested that marriage isn't sacred. My response was that if that were true, then why do so many gays opt for traditional ceremonies?

Oh, btw, using a bunch of question marks does nothing in regards to proving a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Civil Unions are fine with me as long as I have the special rights afforded heterosexuals in this country; since I'm apparently good enough to pay equal taxes relative to my heterosexual peers.....I want equal rights.
you have equal rights to me (assuming your a man) you have the potential to marry almost any woman (except incest).

Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
And this number has been rising over the decades rapidly. In 1996, only 27% of Americans supported legalizing gay marriage. In 2004, about 40% supported it. Now, in 2011, an all time high of 53% support it. Here is the link for proof:

For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage
this poll is garbage every single time it comes for a vote is loses and this November the cycle will continue in Minnesota a super liberal state.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Only the religiously deluded still fear gay marriage or pretend that marriage is in any way sacred. As religion slowly dies, those in support of gay marriage will increase.

Don't get your hopes up. Religions come and go but remember that none just go away. They are always displaced. Don't assume the next one will be more tolerant of your interests. Looks like Islam is making a comeback on the world stage and that doesn't bode well for some. Think it could never happen here? Go look up "Normalcy Bias" and think about it.

I'd love to live in a world free of religions and the various dogmas but back here on Earth, that's just not going to happen.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Then I suggest not posting such topics on a public forum.

The post I was responding too, if you bothered to keep up, suggested that marriage isn't sacred. My response was that if that were true, then why do so many gays opt for traditional ceremonies?

Oh, btw, using a bunch of question marks does nothing in regards to proving a point.
I understood you're intent and stand by my responses.........the rest of your post is simply trolling for a semantics argument.......I don't play that game nor do I respond to intellectually challenged posts trying to provoke an emotional response.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yeah, we are regressing aren't we? Let's return to the days when women were property, blacks were slaves, and gays could be executed. How lovely those days were.

Blacks are still the property of the democratic party. The democratic party keeps them in the slaves ships and cotton fields and keep them in the slave mentality of resentment. They will never truly be free as Martin Luther King wanted if the democratic hold continues.

The blacks are reminded that they were slaves and keep them down in the hands of the democratic race card players.

I hope that Herman Cain can liberate them and get the presidental nomination for President and then defeat the democratic party and become president to truly give the blacks their rightful place equal and liberated , truly liberated with dignity.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Life is a continually evolving event. Nothing in life remains the same, life is always changing. Your body, culture, music, fashion, food, standards, etc always change as time does. Look back on the society of your childhood and compare it to the present. Is it the same or has it changed in a way?

The real issue is that heterosexual marriages are not working like they were in the past. The divorce rate is high in the U.S. compared to other developed countries. The number of single females raising children is also increasing and this has an effect on the child especially if the other parent is not present or a substitute is not established. Gender roles are not what they were anymore and this somewhat offsets the need for marriage. Women are working high paying jobs, working multiple jobs, some are making more than men, feminist propaganda against marriage, etc. The man is not the breadwinner anymore and this along with other factors are increasing the rate of divorce and also intimidating people from getting married. I believe the natural union of man and woman is that act of sex not marriage. Marriage is an agreement, a contract. Good ol Webster defines marriage as “the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.” You can have children without being married and a man and woman can raise a family without being married. Sadly, the nuclear family is a thing of the past and slowly dying off. I don’t believe in marriage (straight, gay, tranny etc) since I don’t believe you need a contract or a religious ceremony to solidify your commitment or love to another person.

As far as children, I believe we need to worry and protest against the media since the entertainment industry creates shows, movies and music that promote profanity, violence, and illicit sex and that displays rape, drugs, murder, suicide, etc.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM

68 posts, read 118,402 times
I don't think homosexuals should be allowed to marry. Not because of a religious or political standpoint, but because we simply don't deserve it. There is still prejudice within our community despite the irony of referring to the struggle of the Civil Rights. Being in a gay relationship is one thing, but being in a gay interracial relationship is worst. Trust me.

Although I do believe in civil unions, I think we have more issues to work on. If it isn't the contradiction of race then it is other issues such as defining our culture: commitment, adoption, parenting, AIDs, fighting stereotypes, superficiality, etc.

It seems as if we are paving the way for our sexual orientation (which is okay). But how can we secure the world we want to live in? How can we produce or influence generations for open-mindedness? Are we thinking only about ourselves? What about kids and our neighbors? There is more to being gay than being allowed to marry. Marriage is a conservative tradition in of itself. Before we are ready to parade in the streets and demand respect then we must look in ourselves for individuality. Being gay is nothing more than preferring basketball to baseball or jeans to a skirt. No one will respect us if we live up to the stereotypes rather than ourselves.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And here again is the lie.

"Many gay couples would like to make a public proclamation of their commitment to one another."

So what's stopping them?

Gay marriage has never been about a commitment or government benefits.

Gays want to be considered normal.

More specifically, they want their sex to be considered normal.

The word "marriage" defines a normal committed sexual relationship.

Gays hope to change the public perception of their perverted sexual relationships by hijacking the word "marriage".

It's an Orwellian concept.
And yet, more heterosexuals engage in anal and oral sex than gays do. Does that mean most heterosexuals have perverted sexual relationships?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
If its not "sacred" (to gays) then why the trappings of traditional marriage? Why clergy? Why not just accept civil unions (which I support). Wanting the traditional trappings looks like an attempt to gain a cultural acceptability for gay marriage.
Marriage is not a religious institution, nor is the Christian version traditional. Marriage has existed for thousands and thousands of years. It did not even start to involve Christianity until about 500 years ago when John Calvin and the Catholic Church required priests to officiate in addition to a state license. Martin Luther absolutely opposed marriage on religious grounds, claiming it was a "worldly thing". The Church of England did not accept marriage as a religious institution until the end of the 18th Century. And for most of human history, a traditional marriage involved a 10-12 year old girl being forced to marry an older man, and lose all her rights. She became his property. And in many cases, it was one man with many young girls. Same-sex marriages (although not equal between partners) has existed in Greece, Rome, China, Egypt and various other cultures.

Traditional marriage has only very recently been 1)Been 2 consenting adults, 1 man and 1 women and 2) involved with any religious aspect.

As for Civil unions, the only problem with it is by giving gays unions and straights marriage, you have the "Separate but Equal" fiasco of the Civil Rights era. It's a violation of the 14th Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies