Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
You can add Korea. In fact, if my thinking is correct, the last time the USA officially declared to be in a 'state of war' with another nation was December 1941 (Japan, then Germany).

I had not realized how peaceful a nation we are, on paper.
But then to blame only President Obama for this is a partisan attack. Its not an authentic "I'm concerned about my country" argument at that point.

Its one of the reasons the United States can say they have never lost a war. Our constitution is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
One more time

I want all Presidents, and all congresses to have to declare war on a country before we send one US troop to another country. When the war ends, all US troops should be sent home.

Thats the third time I've had to say that.
So Obama has not formally asked Congress to fund Libya. Today is day 60. Congress has made no comments on this either.

We shall see what midnight brings.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,617,654 times
Quote:
But then to blame only President Obama for this is a partisan attack. Its not an authentic "I'm concerned about my country" argument at that point.

Its one of the reasons the United States can say they have never lost a war. Our constitution is a joke.
its not a partisan attack. its the truth. obama is CiC right now. for him to disregard the war powers resolution is ludicrous. he has so much going against him, why is he making it that much easier to ensure his defeat?

are we only allowed to criticize when a republican is in office? why cannot we be for some wars and against others?

undoubtedly youll just spin this as 'youre attacking the mulatto in chief, if it was a repub you would be silent'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So Obama has not formally asked Congress to fund Libya. Today is day 60. Congress has made no comments on this either.

We shall see what midnight brings.
Its going to bring nothing, just as the "humanitarian" mission in Somalia didn't draw any attention, or other US military missions by previous Presidents of both political parties.

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
Quote:

I quite agree.

It used to be a 'joke' that "every President is allowed one undeclared war'".

After some 40 years I must admit the joke has worn thin.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
its not a partisan attack. its the truth. obama is CiC right now. for him to disregard the war powers resolution is ludicrous. he has so much going against him, why is he making it that much easier to ensure his defeat?

are we only allowed to criticize when a republican is in office? why cannot we be for some wars and against others?

undoubtedly youll just spin this as 'youre attacking the mulatto in chief, if it was a repub you would be silent'.
No, if you didn't attack the previous administration for the exact same thing, then you are being hypocritical, and this is just another.

"I disagree with Obama on everything, even the color of the sky" thread.

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Less partisan, guess it depends on how old you were during some of these wars. My grandfather has been complaining about it since Vietnam, so I'd say he is safe of partisan bickering on it.

But the Senators who are complaining, most of the house Republicans that are complaining, and the OP didn't complain under the Bush administration, so it brings into suspect what it is now.

As I said before I want any congress to have to declare war before sending troops to any other country other than our own. But neither party is going to do that.

If the OP had said "I'm tired of administration after administration ignoring the war powers act and not making congress declare war. Why isn't congress calling them to their failings?" Then he wouldn't be partisan.

Instead he just attacked Obama.
So instead of partisan bickering and using "Bush did it" as the moral justification to break the law, why don't we just stop? Does Obama have to mess things up further, the same amount that Bush did in order for us to have our country back?

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If he says nothing and Congress says nothing and let's this continue as is..then what ? Who is going to speak up ?

Congress won't take this up until the President requests it and he has not requested this and Congress is doing nothing.
Congress needs to defund all actions in Libya. There is no more "prospect of imminent massacre" in Libya, so the reason given by the president to go to war no longer exists.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,823,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
That's a pretty awful statement to make
I am pointing out how stupid the issue is. Fact is, Obama and NATO are dealing with this as well as any people ever had. The UN determined something had to be done about Ghaddafi killing his people, the Arab Nations said so as well,... they are doing it without a full out, boots on ground, invasion that would cost US and NATO lives When will Ghaddafi be ousted? We don't know yet, but the likelihood is that it will be fairly soon. What I don't understand is, why some people don't see this as a much more desirable course of action over past President's choices.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am pointing out how stupid the issue is. Fact is, Obama and NATO are dealing with this as well as any people ever had. The UN determined something had to be done about Ghaddafi killing his people, the Arab Nations said so as well,... they are doing it without a full out, boots on ground, invasion that would cost US and NATO lives When will Ghaddafi be ousted? We don't know yet, but the likelihood is that it will be fairly soon. What I don't understand is, why some people don't see this as a much more desirable course of action over past President's choices.
Sounds like you'd approve if we start doing to the same thing to Syria.
As long as there is no "boots on the ground" it really isn't a war is it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies