Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times

Advertisements

Do you guys actually KNOW anyone who works in China? I do. I know 3 software engineers, 2 entrepreneurs, and 1 retail person. The software engineers make over $100k each. The retail person makes about what a retail person here makes (mid $20s after taxes). You don’t even want to know what the entrepreneur couple makes. I’ll give you a clue: they bought six houses in Australia this year and one in LA. Sadly, I don’t know them well enough to get in on that gravy train.)
China will keep a portion of its population making moderately cheap labor goods while differentiating a segment of its population into high tech. They will be competing with both Western Europe/America/Japan and India/Indonesia at the same time. You can do that when you have 1 billion+ people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Manufacturing jobs won't come back to America. They will just be shipped from China to someplace else in the world, most likely in South Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa, where wages will still be dirt cheap.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:17 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They pay $100 a month and may go to $117 and that is going to have China lose an advantage how again?
With the cost of exporting raw goods to China, and the cost of importing goods then back to the US, not to mention the fact that Chinese workers are far less productive than American workers, it comes down to more than just wage. I have read this in at least 5 places now that the advantage of China will be gone within 5 years.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Manufacturing jobs won't come back to America. They will just be shipped from China to someplace else in the world, most likely in South Asia or Sub-Saharan Africa, where wages will still be dirt cheap.
According to the link I left from the Australian newspaper wages will rise faster in those countries because they lack the huge cheap surplus labor that attracted investors to China that made Chinese goods cheaper.

Here's the breakdown:
Quote:
But the wage gap between China and other developing countries will shrink, said Mr Fung, echoing views shared by Boston Consulting Group, because "China was the thing that kept the price low," he says. "China was the benchmark. With the China price rising, everyone else wants to raise prices."

As factories relocate to other countries, local wages will rise faster than they did in China because the potential pools of surplus labour are smaller. In addition, because no other country can replicate the massive scale of China, logistics will become a larger part of costs as companies are forced to slice up their manufacturing over several countries, analysts say.

"Things will be more expensive and people will buy less," Mr Fung warns.
That means that the West will have to adopt new consumption trends.

China's rising wages propel prices | The Australian

Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 PM

12 posts, read 16,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Isn't this good news for America in the coming future? With China loosing it's advantage as a low wage country then maybe more manufacturing jobs will stay in America.
I don't know where the report is from. But I can exactly tell you the increased percentage point is not correct among managers and skilled workers as I am a Chinese manager and also know about the status of lots of others managers in China. Maybe the wage among them was increased by 8%-20% annually. So, actually, Chinese wages is not increased so fast as you have thought and still b e in a low level compared to you American wages.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
The equilibrium will be far less than the American minimum wage.
not necessarily, since labor productivity is increasing as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
When hyperinflation hits the 20.00 an hour wage will be more like .50 of today's money.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Do you guys actually KNOW anyone who works in China? I do. I know 3 software engineers, 2 entrepreneurs, and 1 retail person. The software engineers make over $100k each. The retail person makes about what a retail person here makes (mid $20s after taxes). You don’t even want to know what the entrepreneur couple makes. I’ll give you a clue: they bought six houses in Australia this year and one in LA. Sadly, I don’t know them well enough to get in on that gravy train.)
China will keep a portion of its population making moderately cheap labor goods while differentiating a segment of its population into high tech. They will be competing with both Western Europe/America/Japan and India/Indonesia at the same time. You can do that when you have 1 billion+ people.
There are cetain elite employed by the red army that would get mroe power, control and money depending on their value to the hive. Makes sense to me.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
With the cost of exporting raw goods to China, and the cost of importing goods then back to the US, not to mention the fact that Chinese workers are far less productive than American workers, it comes down to more than just wage. I have read this in at least 5 places now that the advantage of China will be gone within 5 years.
No, China just buys raw materials cheap, they have slave labor and will gladly sell your family lead painted toys.
They work many hours.
They work three shifts. Two for the companies that order goods through them like Nike, then they do a third shift without the Nike labeled and sell the shoes on the black market. That's China.

I know several doing business there, a liberal have billionaire who loves their communists and rides down there with them and there was a Fulbright Scholar from China I talked a Semester with over at USC.
They already polluted half their drinking water.
They aborted most of the girls and have many men for an army.

I see lots of trouble in the future regarding them.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
if the Chinese gov can't control what the factories put into babies milk or what they paint their toys with do we really think they can control what the factory bosses pay their workers??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies