Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
No, it isn't. This incident is proof that evil can exist within a religious institution, specifically a fundamentalist Baptist congregation known as Trinity Baptist Church--nothing more, nothing less.

Your statement is proof of your skewed viewpoint.
You are naive if you think Christian Taliban behavior is limited to Trinity Baptist Church. Please! This forum alone provides more examples than them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reality is many members of this forum are Evangelicals and thus my comments are directed toward them. Their response is a defense mechanism. Rather than admitting Evangelicals also commit barbaric acts, they sidestep the issue by talking about the degrees of barbaric behavior: "Well we don't stone people, we just accuse rape victims of being guilty for being raped, see we are so much better" They miss the point. I'm not defending fundamentalist Muslims either. We just need to acknowledge that fundamentalists of any religion are a problem.
2 questions,
What is your interpretation of an' Evangelical?
And, what are 'you'?
Since ''many members of this forum are Evangelicals'', you have to be ''something''.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
2 questions,
What is your interpretation of an' Evangelical?
And, what are 'you'?
Since ''many members of this forum are Evangelicals'', you have to be ''something''.
An Evangelical is a fundamentalist Christian that believes in a very conservative lifestyle and belief system that infringes upon the rights of other much like the Taliban. They interpret the Bible literally which leads to extremist views. Like Evangelicals, fundamentalist Muslims also interpret their faith literally and are similarly extremist

I'm a non-fundamentalist Christian and do not have extreme religious views like Evangelicals.

Most Christians in this country are not Evangelicals. Like the Taliban, Evangelicals make up a minority.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
An Evangelical is a fundamentalist Christian that believes in a very conservative lifestyle and belief system that infringes upon the rights of other much like the Taliban.

I'm a non-fundamentalist Christian and do not have extreme religious views like Evangelicals.

Most Christians in this country are not Evangelicals. Like the Taliban, Evangelicals make up a minority.
Do Evangelicals cut off peoples hands, and noses, and ears, and heads?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Do Evangelicals cut off peoples hands, and noses, and ears, and heads?
Do they have to do so to be extremist?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Do they have to do so to be extremist?
Are you going to answer my question?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Are you going to answer my question?
I did.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I did.
Actually, you asked me a question.

They are not the same. One verbally rebukes, the other murders and mulilates. That is a long stretch to put both in the same label.

I can say you are bad. That is not the same as cutting off body parts, or killing you, because you are bad.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 is often pointed to by atheists, skeptics, and other Bible attackers as evidence that the Bible is backwards, cruel, and misogynist, and therefore, not the Word of God. Deuteronomy 22:28-29 reads, “If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days. ” At first glance, this passage seems to command that a rape victim must marry her rapist. Is that the correct interpretation of the text, and if so, how is that not horribly unfair to the woman?

First, it is important to recognize the preceding context. Deuteronomy 22:22 commands the death penalty for adultery; both the man and the woman are to be put to death. Deuteronomy 22:23-24 commands the death penalty for both the man and the woman in an instance of a man having sex with a woman who is betrothed (engaged). It seems to be speaking of consensual sex, since the woman does not cry out for help. Deuteronomy 22:25-27 seemingly commands the death penalty for a man who “rapes” a woman who is betrothed.

Second, it is important to understand that the Hebrew words used in Deuteronomy 22, verses 25 and 28 do not necessarily indicate rape. In verse 25, the Hebrew word chazaq is used, and it essentially means “seize,” or “take hold of.” In verse 28, a different Hebrew word taphas is used, and while it has a very similar meaning to chazaq, it is not the same word. In both verses 25 and 28, the Hebrew word shakab is used, and while it literally means “lie down,” it is used throughout the Old Testament to refer to sexual intercourse. So, both verses 25 and 28 describe a man seizing and having sex with a woman. While this is a possible description of rape, it does not explicitly refer to rape. Also, the differences in the Hebrew words between Deuteronomy 22, verses 25 and 28, could be interpreted as verse 25 referring to rape, with verse 28 referring to consensual sex. Further, in other Old Testament passages that refer to rape, different Hebrew words are used (Judges 19:25, 20:5; 2 Samuel 13:14, 32; Zechariah 14:2).
Do you have your own opinion or do you normally just copy and past other people's opinions from other websites?
Like this one: http://www.gotquestions.org/Deuteronomy-22-28-29-marry-rapist.html

You are presenting someone else's opinion so it's not surprising that you "can't see the forest for the trees".

How is ANY of this not "backwards, cruel and misogynistic"?

NIV translation:
Source: Deuteronomy 22

13If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her 14and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15then the girl’s father and mother shall bring proof that she was a virgin to the town elders at the gate. 16The girl’s father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.”

Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silverb and give them to the girl’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, 21she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

22If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

23If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25But if out in the country a man happens to meet a girl pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26Do nothing to the girl; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders his neighbor, 27for the man found the girl out in the country, and though the betrothed girl screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29he shall pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver.c He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-21-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, you asked me a question.

They are not the same. One verbally rebukes, the other murders and mulilates. That is a long stretch to put both in the same label.

I can say you are bad. That is not the same as cutting off body parts, or killing you, because you are bad.
My answer impied they didn't do it and I took it further and asked you a question.

And I'm being generous with that answer. Do I really need to bring up the KKK, the Nazis, David Koresh, Jim Jones...there are countless examples of people committing atrocious acts in the name of Christianity.

It's not the acts but the mindset. Evangelicals and the Taliban both use their religion to infringe upon the rights of others. That is not a stretch. Telling people they can't get married is doing more than simply saying "you are bad"

I will admit fundamentalist Muslims are more extremist but that doesn't mean Evangelical Christians are not also extremist in their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies