Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Innocent men? Really? What are they doing in Jail, if they're "innocent"?

The article states that this is a section of the Jail where the most unmanagable inmates reside.

So it's American's faults these criminals are unmanageble and behave like barbarians?
It is shocking how little many posters in this thread know about the U.S. Constitution.

NO MAN IS A CONVICTED CRIMINAL UNTIL JUDGED SO BY A JURY OF HIS PEERS.

THESE "CRIMINALS" HAVE NOT EVEN GONE TO TRIAL.

PICK UP A BASIC CIVIL LIBERTIES TEXTBOOK AND START READING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 AM

219 posts, read 541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Remember the constitution?

We can agree that inhumane conditions are great for convicted criminals (pot possession, for example).

But innocent men should not be treated like this in America.

The soul of America these days is straight out of the dark ages.
um yea.... I missed that part about definitive ban on cruel and unusual punishment pre-trial.

But I have no doubt the alleged "innocent until proven guilty" is just a matter of time. Our law enforcement have come a long way since the early 30's and I'm willing to bet without hesitation that every one of those people in those jails belong in prison, and sooner or later they will get their conviction, and health insurance and 3 square meals and education and physical therapy and exercise, so a month or two in the hold for the "unmanageable" accused is not going to make me lose any sleep.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
it doesn't, it's more an issue of not creating a self-fulfilling prophecy

they shouldn't feel like they're living it up at a 5-star hotel, but they shouldn't be cooped up like cattle or prisoners in the gulag. our ****ty prisons are a huge part of the recidivism problem in the US today, and is it surprising at all? you shove these people in a concrete room for a few years, where all they do is menial labor and talking to other prisoners, then once they're out they find it hard to get a job because they have no skills or education.

you tell a person they're dirt for long enough, they start to believe it.
Um I'm pretty sure that education is made available to them. You hear it all the time when someone comes up for parole "they even completed their GED"!! What a great guy!!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
The US jail that’s just like a zoo | The Sun |Features

Remember, this isn't prison. Technically these men are innocent.

Land of the Free...
Quote:
Do you know the difference between a jail and a prison?
What makes you think they're innocent? Do you know the difference between jail and prison? Maybe it's different in Florida, but in WA the vast majority of people in jail have been convicted. Very few have been arrested and are waiting on trial. People don't go to prison unless they've got a sentence longer than 1 year.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
The US jail that’s just like a zoo | The Sun |Features

Remember, this isn't prison. Technically these men are innocent.

Land of the Free...
Quote:
It is shocking how little many posters in this thread know about the U.S. Constitution.

NO MAN IS A CONVICTED CRIMINAL UNTIL JUDGED SO BY A JURY OF HIS PEERS.

THESE "CRIMINALS" HAVE NOT EVEN GONE TO TRIAL.

PICK UP A BASIC CIVIL LIBERTIES TEXTBOOK AND START READING.
Why do you assume they haven't gone to trial? Nothing in the article says they're innocent, if anything the article focus on people who clearly have been convicted, and probably shouldn't ever be allowed out.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What makes you think they're innocent? Do you know the difference between jail and prison? Maybe it's different in Florida, but in WA the vast majority of people in jail have been convicted. Very few have been arrested and are waiting on trial. People don't go to prison unless they've got a sentence longer than 1 year.
I'm sure that varies from state to state. Don't quote me on this, but I've read that some states only house misdemeanor offenders in jails, which does fit in with the "under one year" incarceration.

So, does this mean that you think that it is acceptable to mistreat someone guilty of a misdemeanor? Honestly, I would rather see them doing acts of restitution in many cases.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
it doesn't, it's more an issue of not creating a self-fulfilling prophecy

they shouldn't feel like they're living it up at a 5-star hotel, but they shouldn't be cooped up like cattle or prisoners in the gulag. our ****ty prisons are a huge part of the recidivism problem in the US today, and is it surprising at all? you shove these people in a concrete room for a few years, where all they do is menial labor and talking to other prisoners, then once they're out they find it hard to get a job because they have no skills or education.

you tell a person they're dirt for long enough, they start to believe it.

If you tell criminals that they're a victim of society one time they don't start to believe it- they instantly believe it. Look at the pics of those guys in the article. I'm sure that the guy with the tattoo on his forehead who was flashing gang sings is innocent as a babe in the woods.

They should be told that they're dirt. They need to face reality.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why do you assume they haven't gone to trial? Nothing in the article says they're innocent, if anything the article focus on people who clearly have been convicted, and probably shouldn't ever be allowed out.

BBC News - Louis Theroux goes to the Miami mega-jail

Quote:
Most of these inmates are on remand - awaiting bail or being held until their trial dates - usually for fairly minor offences. In America, jails are distinct from prisons in that they hold people who are pre-trial and therefore unconvicted.
But that's O.K.

I think most of the people on this thread think its o.k. to treat non-convicted people like animals because their great-grandfathers actually owned people like this.

The more things change...the more things stay the same...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
BBC News - Louis Theroux goes to the Miami mega-jail

But that's O.K.

I think most of the people on this thread think its o.k. to treat non-convicted people like animals because their great-grandfathers actually owned people like this.

The more things change...the more things stay the same...

I don't think that my great grandfather owned any violent criminal gang members but you raise an interesting point. I'll have to check my family history to see if he did.
Do you know what it takes to get locked up? You'd be hard pressed to find a first offender in that bunch.

BTW: race card fail- as usual

Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
While on a ship in the navy, we saw a news story on the requirements for prison cells like how many prisoners per cubic feet. Some one should pass those standards onto the US Navy cause our living conditions were much more confining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies