Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
So a few trips to the range with your brother has made you an expert I see. Not too many people walk down the street carrying a rifle for self defense. Fire thousands of rounds through .22lr handguns and then get back to me.
since you have NO CLUE as to what kind of experience i have with firearms, let me clue you in. i have been shooting guns for more than 40 years, and one of my best firearms instructors when i was young was a former marine scout sniper. i learned a lot from him about gun control, how to control my emotions, and my breathing to make the best shot possible.

i have the ability to take just about any handgun that is new to me, and as long as it goes bang when i pull the trigger, i get fairly tight groupings with the first magazine, and only get better as i get to know the weapon.

Quote:
I speak from my experience in my area. Around here if you shoot someone from 30 feet away you're toast unless they are shooting at you.
apparently you live in an area where people have no clue as to how deadly someone with a knife can be even if they are starting from 10 yards away from you. my sympathies for you.

Quote:
I'll take a 12 gauge over a .22 anytime. Your comparison is so foolish it's hardly even worth my rebuttal.
so would i, my point however was NOT the effectiveness of the .22LR vs the 12 gauge, i was merely pointing out that there have been times when a .22LR stopped the bad guy, and times when a 12 gauge didnt. there was NO attempt to compare the two weapons what so ever.

Quote:
The expansion of hollow point rim fire rounds can not even be compared to a hollow point .22. When you have the chance have someone who actually owns some firearms show you a JHP center fire cartridge. Note the slits in the jacket of the JHP rounds which allow the round to expand on impact. The .22s don;t have them because they're too small to put into the bullet. Again, Your comparison is so foolish it's hardly even worth my rebuttal. I have to wonder why I'm even bothering to respond to this.....
i actually do own a few firearms these days, a couple of .380s and a .45acp. my brother used to own a .357 revolver until it got stolen. i know the difference in the several types of rounds available for each caliber, and i have shot most of them. semi wad cutters, fmj ball rounds, winchester silver tips, eldorado starfire hollow points, among others. please do not assume that i know nothing about firearms, as you would be quite wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I beliueve in pest control. A human attacker is the worst and most dangerous pest around. By killing this pest she has made the place safer for everyone.

Any gun is better than none at all. The bigger the better so long as the shooter can control the weapon. Even a .22 Derringer is deadly if the muzzle is pushed against the attackers chest or face because the gasses do more damage then the bullets.

In any case be alert, be away and be armed.
well said, unfortunately i cant rep you again right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
...and this is controversial because?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Typo - Be alert, Be aware and Be armed. Although being away is not a bad idea. Don't go looking for trouble because there is always enough looking for you.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Believe it or not there are those who care about the criminal more than the victim, in fact it's enough to make you wonder if the UN passed some sort of "Declaration on the Rights of the Criminals."

I'm not saying everyone should go out and be The Punisher or Judge Dredd, but if you live by the sword of crime, you'll die by the sword of crime, either in prison or at the hands of a person who has every right to defend his/her life and limb and property.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Just a little clarification to my original post. Its called: SARCASM. However, having said that, let me explain.

If this person was a police officer and shot and killed a man with a knife, MANY people here, on this board, would have said: That isn't reasonable. Should have used a taser. Should have shot him in the leg. Should have...Many people on this board would have said other things, had the woman been a man.

And yes, it has happened on here, many, many, many times. The double standards are disgusting.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Just a little clarification to my original post. Its called: SARCASM. However, having said that, let me explain.

If this person was a police officer and shot and killed a man with a knife, MANY people here, on this board, would have said: That isn't reasonable. Should have used a taser. Should have shot him in the leg. Should have...Many people on this board would have said other things, had the woman been a man.

And yes, it has happened on here, many, many, many times. The double standards are disgusting.
You are full of it.

You are minus the circumstances.

That makes you minus sane.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Well, it really isn't....and CD should have a "Brag About How Much I think I know About Guns" forum...so any and every thread containing the word "gun" doesn't turn into a "Who Has The Biggest Bestest Gun" competition.

THIS thread is about a woman who shot dead her attacker.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:

If this person was a police officer and shot and killed a man with a knife, MANY people here, on this board, would have said: That isn't reasonable. Should have used a taser. Should have shot him in the leg. Should have...Many people on this board would have said other things, had the woman been a man. .

Correct. And rightfully so.

Cops are trained to control their emotions and handle a violent situation. So I would expect them to use the least violent means possible on the intruder.

An older woman naked in her shower........ not quite so trained or in control. She was in survival mode.

I'm surprised you cannot see the difference. It's not a double standard.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct. And rightfully so.

Cops are trained to control their emotions and handle a violent situation. So I would expect them to use the least violent means possible on the intruder.

An older woman naked in her shower........ not quite so trained or in control. She was in survival mode.

I'm surprised you cannot see the difference. It's not a double standard.
Really now. How are cops trained to control their emotions and a handle a violent situation? I'd really like to know how you "train" for this? Please enlighten me.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Really now. How are cops trained to control their emotions and a handle a violent situation? I'd really like to know how you "train" for this? Please enlighten me.
Most of the cowardly cops recently reported in the news were NOT being attacked by the person wielding the weapon.

Nor were the wielders threatening anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies