Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You In Favor Of Legalizing All Drugs ?
NO 34 44.74%
YES 42 55.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well then, if you have no intent on F'ing yourself up, or at least none of your children till they are 18 or so, then quit pushing the acid on others.

Burn yourself first before you consider burning others.
Good afternoon,

It's interesting that you are personalizing the debate. No one is "pushing acid" on others, I'm advocating for those who want to use it to be able to do so without legal persecution. If society wants to ostracize them socially, that's fine by me.

You are actually the one "pushing", since you are imposing your values on others. I am only for allowing people the freedom to pursue their own values in peace. None of what I am advocating for affects you if you aren't a drug user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:54 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
Leave it to states to regulate end of story.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,955 times
I have a hard time with this question. I believe marijuana, acid, and shrooms should be legal. I say that as they aren't really addictive (well maybe mentally to 2% of users). Crack, heroin, cocaine, and other more deadly drugs are addictive and thus create more of a dilemma. Part of me things that we should legalize and treat it as an addiction issue rather than a criminal issue. The other part of me knows these drugs really can be dangerous in many ways. It's a hard decision.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,991 times
legalize ALL drugs?? are you serious? weed? sure. but lsd, cocaine, pcp, heroin? are you serious? sorry, but we're not talking about trying a sip of a coconut rum to see how it tastes. a taste of H can lead to serious health consequences and even sudden death. I think accessibility (or inaccessibility) to certain hardcore drugs prevents widespread usage which opens our communities to the dangers of instant addiction and other diseases like HIV and hepatitis.

on the other hand, I wonder how many of you would be rallying for personal freedoms and personal responsibility if your kid came home from college as a junkie. it's easy to think things like this would never come to your front door--but if you're honest with yourself (and not just d***riding your favorite "personal freedom" politician), regulations have given you that sense of security. deregulation might have you singing a different tune...

Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
legalize ALL drugs?? are you serious? weed? sure. but lsd, cocaine, pcp, heroin? are you serious? sorry, but we're not talking about trying a sip of a coconut rum to see how it tastes. a taste of H can lead to serious health consequences and even sudden death. I think accessibility (or inaccessibility) to certain hardcore drugs prevents widespread usage which opens our communities to the dangers of instant addiction and other diseases like HIV and hepatitis.

on the other hand, I wonder how many of you would be rallying for personal freedoms and personal responsibility if your kid came home from college as a junkie. it's easy to think things like this would never come to your front door--but if you're honest with yourself (and not just d***riding your favorite "personal freedom" politician), regulations have given you that sense of security. deregulation might have you singing a different tune...
I don't use drugs because they are harmful to me, not because they are illegal. If drugs were legal tomorrow, I wouldn't use them. I suspect that is the case with the vast majority of people.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,854 times
Quote:

Good afternoon,

The key is safe, clean, regulated forms of those drugs. Compare moonshine during Prohibition with the current forms of alcohol as a comparison.

And yes, if a child of mine was over the legal age and made that decision, I would argue against it, but would not want it to be illegal. I believe in freedom and liberty too much to make something illegal because an adult child MIGHT do it.

Using your logic, we should make cigarettes and alcohol illegal too since many people don't want their kids to use those.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I trust Americans to be smart enough to chose what drugs they care to use if they are informed as to the effects are before they partake. I do not advocate giving drugs to children or encouraging their use. I just want to end this wasteful pseudo war we are using to support the criminals.

I trust the kids to be smart enough but apparently you do not.

have you ever seen someone rushed to an emergency room after an overdose? sometimes, it only takes one time. why make it easier to put these hardcore drugs in people's hands??

maybe you feel bigger than drugs. there are many people (young people especially) who are not, unfortunately. if you don't have access to a drug dealer, you're probably unlikely to seek one out. if there was a centralized location to score hardcore drugs, the curious may very well try those drugs, thus creating a very severe problem that would take more resources to cure. should the government be in the business of recovery centers too? they would have to be for opening this can of worms...

Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:

So you like having a government tell you how to live your life? You can't make that choice better than the government?

Too bad. Most of us don't need the government to tell us not to play with fire. I doubt that anybody would try heroin because it was legal. They are much more likely to get hooked by a dealer.

And by the way, the reason people share needles is because of the war on drugs.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I don't use drugs because they are harmful to me, not because they are illegal. If drugs were legal tomorrow, I wouldn't use them. I suspect that is the case with the vast majority of people.

great. YOU don't use drugs. Go you! But it's quite naive to think that others (especially college age kids) who may very well be curious would not visit a "drug store" and score something dangerous. there's a degree of invincibility that comes with younger age groups. peer pressure is also a factor that I don't think many people consider.

I say, why risk it?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
have you ever seen someone rushed to an emergency room after an overdose? sometimes, it only takes one time. why make it easier to put these hardcore drugs in people's hands??

maybe you feel bigger than drugs. there are many people (young people especially) who are not, unfortunately. if you don't have access to a drug dealer, you're probably unlikely to seek one out. if there was a centralized location to score hardcore drugs, the curious may very well try those drugs, thus creating a very severe problem that would take more resources to cure. should the government be in the business of recovery centers too? they would have to be for opening this can of worms...
The fact that folks are being treated for over doses indicates that there is a problem. The fact that drugs are illegal leads to abuse, legalization would allow for much greater control.

Also making drugs illegal hasn't stopped it's use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies