Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was wondering if some blacks in America care that Obama isn't a true African American (he is in a sense, but not an African American as in having been here for generations). No, not that he's half white, but none of his ancestors were slaves, and in a way he's just an adopted part of the black community. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I know, but it seems he's seen as more 'black' just because of the colour of his skin. A Chinese American or a White American who worked in the slums of the Chicago is just as much a part of the African American community as him, yet they wouldn't accept them as a true AA as they have Obama. Why aren't more African Americans not a bit disappointed that the first 'black' President wasn't a descendant of slaves? Wouldn't it make it far more poignant if someone like MLK had become President?
In the US, you are judged based on the color of your skin, the end. We do better about this now than in the fifties, but we also do better than we did in the eighties, when Barack was in college. A white or Asian American who worked in the black part of Chicago would not be a part of "the African American community", because at the end of the day, they simply don't face the same treatment that black people do. Now, they can certainly be part of, say, the south side of Chicago, but that's another matter.

Another thing, although most black Americans are the descendants of slaves, not all of us are. I've met more than enough Nigerians, Kenyans, and Ethiopians that have effectively blended in. Back where I grew up, people who moved north in the Great Migration lived side to side with Jamaicans, Barbadians, Dominicans, and Cape Verdeans - who, granted, often descended from slavery.

Finally, while it's partly based on his skin color, the. President has freely chosen to identify with black people, and he's signalled that in a thousand ways already. Now, are there some black Americans who will care that his "blackness" is a result of an immigrant that married a white woman? Absolutely. But that was never going to be the case for most black people in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Yes, it bothers me. There needs to be a separate identification for the descendants of American slaves. So much of what has been done in this country has been an attempt to make up for slavery in America. Unfortunately, lots of people jump on that bandwagon because of their skin color instead of their background because they have no historical relationship to American slaves. Obama is not a descendant of slaves. He's an opportunist who uses his skin color to give himself credence. I call myself a Negro to define that I'm am an American who is a descendant of American slaves. That I have no allegiance to any other country. I don't assume that because someone has my skin color that our interests are the same.

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-22-2011 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Yes, it bothers me. There needs to be a separate identification for the descendants of American slaves. So many of what has been done in this country has been an attempt to make up for slavery in America. Unfortunately, lots of people jump on that bandwagon because of their skin color instead of their background because they have no historical relationship to American slaves. Obama is not a descendant of slaves. He's an opportunist who uses his skin color to give himself credence. I call myself a Negro to define that I'm am an American who is a descendant of American slaves. That I have no allegiance to any other country. I don't assume that because someone has my skin color that our interests are the same.
Yes that's what I'm talking about. The Democrats obviously used this to their advantage. He's identifying with their historical struggle to further his political motives...it is NO DIFFERENT from any other American doing the same, yet he's more accepted because he happens to have a father from the same continent as them. I'm sorry, but just being dark skinned does not give you more of a right to be part of a group you weren't born into.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Don't worry, OP. We'll make sure the next black POTUS has the proper credentials you seem to think are necessary. Me...I'm just happy that *any* black man has reached such a great height in America. But like I said...we got you next time (how does 8 years from now work for you?).

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Don't worry, OP. We'll make sure the next black POTUS has the proper credentials you seem to think are necessary. Me...I'm just happy that *any* black man has reached such a great height in America. But like I said...we got you next time (how does 8 years from now work for you?).
I really don't care who becomes President, in terms of their background, I just am sick of constantly hearing 'first.....president!' All that matters is how well they govern. What I don't like is how alot voted for him simply because he was touted as the first AA President, even if he were totally incompetent (not saying he is).

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Technically, a white South African who becomes American or an Egyptian who becomes American is an African American too.

Yes, I mean African American in the sense of being a descendant of slaves that came here centuries ago.
Technically being the key word there.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, Obama's mother never went to Harvard, or even to Cambridge, apparently. Obama's father left the family in Hawaii to attend Harvard.

Then, when Obama was almost 1, his father left for Harvard to get a Ph.D. in economics. He had also been accepted to the New School in New York City, with a more generous scholarship that would have allowed his family to join him. But he decided to go to Harvard. "How can I refuse the best education?" he told Ann, according to Obama's book.

Read more: The Story of Barack Obama's Mother - TIME
You're right. I meant to say she went to univ of Washington after Obamas birth while the father went off to Harvard. After some time passed after the separation they were divorced.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
I was wondering if some blacks in America care that Obama isn't a true African American (he is in a sense, but not an African American as in having been here for generations). No, not that he's half white, but none of his ancestors were slaves, and in a way he's just an adopted part of the black community. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I know, but it seems he's seen as more 'black' just because of the colour of his skin. A Chinese American or a White American who worked in the slums of the Chicago is just as much a part of the African American community as him, yet they wouldn't accept them as a true AA as they have Obama. Why aren't more African Americans not a bit disappointed that the first 'black' President wasn't a descendant of slaves? Wouldn't it make it far more poignant if someone like MLK had become President?

He is not descended from slaves but he is more African than most blacks in this country. But, I don't think highly of anyone that considers themselves any kind of hyphenated American. You are either an American or you are not. If you honestly think of your ethnic heritage first then that is what is hurting this country.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Yes, what annoyed me was how he was championed as some sort of symbolic representative for African Americans - with all their history of slavery etc, when he wasn't even one of them! Not saying he can't represent them or be embraced, but it's wrong to portray it like his ancestors were slaves, went through Civil Rights etc, because they didn't! The half white thing doesn't matter, many AA's have white ancestry, but I just was annoyed how such a fuss was made about him being the first African American ancestry.
the "half white" thing does matter. Most AAs have some white ancestry but it is too often the result of mistreatment by slave owners of the South. Obama was raised entirely by his family who happened to be white. those were the people who set him on the path to success in the world. Nobody has ever treated Obama as a white man. He's had to work for everything that he has. He actually earned the Presidency, not given it in the way that his W was.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Another "What do Blacks...." thread

1) Many people of some African ancestry who are not the descendents of slaves in America are "adopted" into the African American community simply because even though they may not be considered "Black" where they are from (especially Latin America), they are treated as "Black" by American standards based on their color and more easily assimilate into the Black community.

2) A Chinese or White American may be fully accepted into the African American community based on their individual relationships with people within the community but at the end of the day they do not "look" Black so why would they be referred to as "Black". They are just great non-Black people who happen to live/work/etc in the African American community.

3) Why would we be disappointed that Barack Obama was NOT the descendent of slaves. The legacy of African slavery has left us with very deep wounds. Why would we wish for the suffering of anyone's ancestors? Barack Obama walks through America as a Black man and has received ALL of the same treatment that any other Black man in America has received by virtue of his coloring. He doesn't need a slave ancestor to make it "official"

4) The great Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. He also was not a politician, nor did he have political ambitions. He did, however, set the wheels in motion which allowed Barack Obama to be elected. The treatment that President Obama has received by the many who have felt the need to disrespect his position simply because they have an issue with people of color is a poignant reminder of the reason that the great Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies