Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We are witnessing a shift in wealth from middle & working class families, to the wealthy class.
So the poor are getting poorer. The middle class is getting poorer. But the rich are getting richer. You'd almost think that Republicans were in control of the White House and Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 09:34 PM

70 posts, read 267,498 times
Default Great thread

The working class is being priced out home and family? Thank you America.

The recent real estate boom just destroyed my beautiful little county and bankrupted many of the local businesses. Now for some reason there are many empty overpriced homes available here.

BTW. Who's in charge of pricing the local real estate?

Old 09-09-2006, 10:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Read it and Weep: Globalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So the poor are getting poorer. The middle class is getting poorer. But the rich are getting richer. You'd almost think that Republicans were in control of the White House and Congress.
Don't forget about American jobs being exported overseas by the rich companies! Oh yeah, the current administration in DC calls it GLOBALIZATION!

Investopedia Commentary:

The advantages and disadvantages of globalization have been debated and scrutinized heavily in recent years. Proponents of globalization say that it helps developing nations "catch up" to industrialized nations much faster through increased employment and technological advances. Critics of globalization say that it weakens national sovereignty and allows rich nations to ship domestic jobs overseas where labor is much cheaper.

Count me among the critics.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Is there really a middle class anymore?

Old 09-10-2006, 02:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Middle Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Is there really a middle class anymore?
Two answers:

Yes, the middle class is between a rock and a hard place.

No, they are in the upper poor class.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:52 PM

311 posts, read 618,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Two answers:

Yes, the middle class is between a rock and a hard place.

No, they are in the upper poor class.
Good point, Steel Man!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I agree with that too! People should be financially and emotionally capable of supporting their children, many are not....

Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Don't forget about American jobs being exported overseas by the rich companies! Oh yeah, the current administration in DC calls it GLOBALIZATION!

Investopedia Commentary:

The advantages and disadvantages of globalization have been debated and scrutinized heavily in recent years. Proponents of globalization say that it helps developing nations "catch up" to industrialized nations much faster through increased employment and technological advances. Critics of globalization say that it weakens national sovereignty and allows rich nations to ship domestic jobs overseas where labor is much cheaper.

Count me among the critics.
Don’t forget that “Globalization” got it’s biggest boost in the 90’s when Mr. BJ signed on to “NAFTA”.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM

311 posts, read 618,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Don’t forget that “Globalization” got it’s biggest boost in the 90’s when Mr. BJ signed on to “NAFTA”.

RedNC, you ALMOST lost me on that one...I guess its getting late (or early??)...I would have been awake all night trying to figure out who BJ might be!!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree about free money. Partly a self-inflicted wound for Fairfax County, VA and Montgomery County, MD. See the story at:
//www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...-virginia.html

It worries me that inflation in home prices is 12 times inflation in income. It isn't logical. It's a stepchild of low interest rates which allowed people to pay higher prices for a home, so free-market forces worked to raise prices of homes to sop up people's ability to pay. I suspect a severe correction is due. The Fed tried to ease us into reality by ratcheting up interest rates, but major deflation in home prices may occur. If true, trillion$ in equity will evaporate, and may trigger a mass of foreclosures which could overwhelm the banking system. Perhaps my concerns are overstated, but that's where I think the danger lies.

The article also bums me when I see earnings of the middle class go down, despite their best efforts to raise themselves up.

s/Mike
Haha, no way.. oh wait a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies