Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,953,569 times

Advertisements

EdwardA
befriend

978 posts, read 213,450 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark
The person is not being punished for what they were thinking, they are punished because their hate filled thoughts are manifested into actual harm, and that harm is only meant to cause fear, death, intimidation, based on one's race.

Quote:
Huh? They are not punished for thinking but for hate filled thoughts.
they are punished because their hate filled thoughts are manifested into actual harm,

Key word and phrase...other questions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
aum is right.

also correct, it isnt the law itself that is discriminatory, but rather the way the law is applied. for instance if a white person kills a black person, while shouting racial epithets, the white person is also charged with a hate crime. reverse the situation though, a white person is killed by a black person who is shouting racial epithets, and the black person rarely if ever is charged with a hate crime.

in the end hate crime legislation is trying to punish people for their thoughts.
Haha. If this is true, please explain to me why blacks are more likely to be prosecuted with hate-crime enhancements than whites.

The US is about 12% black, but roughly 20% of people prosecuted with hate crime enhancements are black.
The US is about 73% white, but roughly 62% of people prosecuted with hate crime enhancements are white.

FBI — Uniform Crime Reports

Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You really should read your post again.

So hate filled thoughts while killing someone is a hate crime.......but that's not being punished for thoughts???????

Try this again.
No how about you read more slowly....The hate filled thought, alone and in and of itself is not a punishable crime.

When the hate filled thought is MANIFESTED into an actual act of violence based on race, it then becomes a crime!!!

Thought by itself equals no crime.
Thought coupled with violence, intimidation, murder, etc equals hate crime.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Think of it this way: A hate crime has two components, the physical act of violence and the motivation of race or other hatred. So a hate crime law punishes for two components, each being an element of a crime. If someone clobbers me because they don't like my skin color they get punished for both hating my skin color and for clobbering me. So: if you can be punished only for the crime of clobbering me, can you also be punished solely for the 'crime' of not liking my skin color? This criminalizes hatred, which is only a state of mind and hence criminalizes mere thought. Not cool.
As I listed earlier, Mens rea and intent are the elements needed for any criminal indictment.

What you are arguing is not solely the elements of hate crime but criminal law itself!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KangarooMan View Post
BWaahaha!!

Owned with the facts.
I'll also point out that the US Supreme Court has ruled (unanimously) that penalty-enhancement hate crime statutes are constitutional and that they don't conflict with free speech rights because they do not punish freedom of expression but instead simply let courts consider motive when sentencing a criminal for conduct.

Funny enough, this case - Wisconsin v. Mitchell - was about a bunch of black guys who, after watching Mississippi Burning, decided to go beat up "whitey". They ended up beating a randomly chosen 14 year old white boy into a coma and were sentenced more harshly under hate crime enhancement laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_v._Mitchell

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The difference between first degree murder and manslaughter has nothing at all to do with your thoughts.

One is intentional killing, the other is accidental.
You just contradicted yourself. The intentional killing required 'intent' to commit the crime of murder

The "intent" required in a hate crime is "race hate", manslaughter has everything to do with thoughts or the lack of.

Manslaughter needs to show a lack of "intent" to do harm.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,076,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
How long have you lived in this country????...it seems you and the other guy from Australia like nothing better than telling Americans and black people in particular how backwards this country is for passing laws such as the Civil Rights Act, how not allowing discrimination based on race infringes on your right, etc.

I'm sorry but your lack of the history of this country and the nuance of race relations are really telling. History and society in this country have never been black or white, cut and dried.

You have a right to your view point, but it's based on a lack of knowledge of the issue you want to comment on.

A hate crime is a hate crime because the motivating factor in committing the crime was "race"!!!...had the victim not been a certain color or race then they would not have become a victim.
You not understanding American history in this particular area, limits your knowledge of the historical perspective of hate crime.

Again, how long have you lived in this country???

Been in the states 27 years, not sure how that's relevant unless you're implying that since I am an immigrant, I can't comprehend hate crime laws. That's what I noticed about most of you Neo Progs, you always seem to think that immigrants and minorities (which I am a member of both) are helpless and can't function in society like white people and we need government help. That's a very insulting and condescending view that you have of us.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Scenario A: a black guy kills a Mexican guy because he is Mexican and gets life in prison, no parole because it is a hate crime.

Scenario B: A black guy kills another black guy, gets 35-live possible parole in 20 years.

Outcome: discrimination. The black guy that was murdered has been deemed "less than" the Mexican guy that was murdered, simply based on race, despite the fact that the crimes were identical.
It was like that long before there were a hate crime laws. Black life meant nothing in the justice system.

Blacks who killed whites (or who were convicted of such) = death penalty.

Blacks who killed blacks = life in prison.

Whites who killed blacks = often, nothing at all.

That said, it is important that we do have hate crime laws.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,076,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe the difference is intent. If you intend to inflict pain or suffering on someone because of their race, then that constitutes a hate crime. If its just to hurt them individually, then its not a hate crime.

Right, and my question is why is that relevant?

Say an Asian guy kills a Mexican guy because he hates Mexicans, and that same Asian guy has a twin brother who killed an Asian woman, with the exact same weapon and the exact same way that his twin killed the Mexican guy. Well the first brother is going to get a longer sentence despite the fact that the crimes were identical. So now you have marginalized the Asian womans life, and you have to tell her family that she wasn't as worthy as the Mexican guy due solely to race. That is discrimination, plain and simple.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It was like that long before there were a hate crime laws. Black life meant nothing in the justice system.

Blacks who killed whites (or who were convicted of such) = death penalty.

Blacks who killed blacks = life in prison.

Whites who killed blacks = often, nothing at all.

That said, it is important that we do have hate crime laws.
The equation isn't balanced until the pendulum stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies