Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 7,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American
My ancestors didn't kick ass against the Brits, Canucks, Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, Germans, Austro-Hungarians, and Japs so that my kids would have to suffer the tyranny of learning a foreign language.

What languge is the Constitution written in? That's our official language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No

English is our language.
Its an immigration requirement.
Its actually a citizenship requirement. You do not need English to get a work visa ... there is no test. You do not need English to get a green card; again, there is no test.

There is a test in the citizenship interview but it is so elementary and rudimentary as to be meaningless. You have to read a single phrase and then write a single phrase.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeAmericanGuy View Post
My ancestors didn't kick ass against the Brits, Canucks, Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, Germans, Austro-Hungarians, and Japs so that my kids would have to suffer the tyranny of learning a foreign language.

What languge is the Constitution written in? That's our official language.

Which, of course, is why you speak English

Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM

10 posts, read 7,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Which, of course, is why you speak English
Did I say kick ass or kick arse? I go on vacation not on holliday, and watch TV, not the Telly... I might be speaking different if we lost at Yorktown...

Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeAmericanGuy View Post
Did I say kick ass or kick arse? I go on vacation not on holliday, and watch TV, not the Telly... I might be speaking different if we lost at Yorktown...
Nope, you would be speaking pretty much the same. American English, like Scottish English or Australian English, is just a regional variation of a common language. Britain may have lost the Revolutionary war but they won the linguistic one.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi139 View Post
You forgot something.....

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? Mexican

They only speak Spanish.
I tried to rep you but have to spread it around..

I've done some travelling in Europe, and I can say from experience, NOT all the people in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc., speak more than one language (their own).

Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Its actually a citizenship requirement. You do not need English to get a work visa ... there is no test. You do not need English to get a green card; again, there is no test.

There is a test in the citizenship interview but it is so elementary and rudimentary as to be meaningless. You have to read a single phrase and then write a single phrase.

Yes you are correct.

To be a citizen also known as an American you must speak English which is our nations language.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American
I have heard this before except instead of 'American' it was 'British'.

Anyway, to be fair, I live in a large Southwestern city and work in an industry that employs a lot of Mexican immigrants.

Contrary to the stereotype, most White Americans in these parts have at least a little bit of basic Spanish even though despite being in a state that is 75% Hispanic, is not even remotely a requirement for getting by (in fact, most Hispanics in my state speak English as their first language).

The majority of Mexicans where I work have lived and worked in the same place for many years, some for a decade, who still do not have even basic English skills. All attempts at communication between Americans and Mexicans takes place in broken Spanish. Frankly, I like being (sort of) bilingual. It gives me the upper hand.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
Spanish is a foreign language in the United States of America.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
I can just imagine the outrage on here if French, German or Italian restaurants refused service to American tourists who could not speak the local language.
apples and oranges

I don't think the language problem here is with tourists. It's with people who live here and refuse to learn the national language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies