Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 07:21 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,377,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are exceptions to every rule. Working in the tourist industry is another example but for most Americans there is no need to learn foreign languages under normal circumstances.
"Most" does not equate to "all."

Some of us serving the public [behind the scenes] are better off knowing a second and third language. Your lack of not having a need to understand a second or third language does not dismiss the rest of us who have a valid need to comprehend other languages.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
There are exceptions to every rule. Working in the tourist industry is another example but for most Americans there is no need to learn foreign languages under normal circumstances.
Friend, to counter your argument yet again, imagine running your line of thought past those serving our Country in the CIA and NSA. Yes, they are not, as you say, "most Americans." Yet, their service to Country is far enhanced by comprehending as many languages as they can possibly command.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:45 PM

35,492 posts, read 20,860,187 times
Quote:
The reason that they flourish is that like these employees their customers haven't assimilated linguistically into our country either. They cater to their ethnic base. It's like having several countries within our country.
Yes! By George I think you’ve got it!! We are a nation of people from all over the world !

Old 08-10-2019, 08:40 PM

62,693 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Friend, to counter your argument yet again, imagine running your line of thought past those serving our Country in the CIA and NSA. Yes, they are not, as you say, "most Americans." Yet, their service to Country is far enhanced by comprehending as many languages as they can possibly command.

As I said, there are exceptions to every rule. Most regular Americans have no need to learn a foreign language and certainly not several of them.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
As I said, there are exceptions to every rule. Most regular Americans have no need to learn a foreign language and certainly not several of them.
Conversely, some of us do. And as a result, are better able to serve Country and community.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:51 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Conversely, some of us do. And as a result, are better able to serve Country and community.

Yep. I've gotten the jobs and a career in international business and education because of my linguistic skills in Chinese.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:56 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep. I've gotten the jobs and a career in international business and education because of my linguistic skills in Chinese.
If I was going to college now, i'd major in either the mandarin or Arabic language with the goal of working for the government or an international business.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,474,258 times
My dad taught foreign languages in high school. Any decent high school had a strong foreign language department and students on a college track almost always took a foreign language. Back then parents valued that ability for their child.

I never heard of a "rule" where most Americans did not need or benefit from knowing a foreign language. Unfortunately I had five years of Latin so I can't really converse with anyone. It is helpful though when in countries that use a romance language. I can often decipher the written word.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:08 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If I was going to college now, i'd major in either the mandarin or Arabic language with the goal of working for the government or an international business.
The DoD in particular has a dire shortage of Arabic speakers.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Wonderful to read your post. My multi linguistic experience is humble by comparison.

Decades ago, due to economic factors, our employer chose to purchase Original Equipment Manufactured (OEM) or assembled in Germany, Japan, and Mexico.

As a result, the OEM reps (better known as Technical Field Advisors [TFAs]) were/are from said countries. Their OEM skills were/are indispensable to our facilities. Establishing a clear form of communication with them is critical to our operations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies