Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
... and an openness to try something without actually knowing what it is or what all the ingredients are.
Yeah, you're so worldly aren't you. How does that work out if you happen to be allergic to what they put in it? See, you people have an answer for everything, but it only fits into YOUR little box. There is an entire WORLD out there that does not operate within the confines of your little box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Was this restaurant in the middle of the suburbs or in some international area?
If it is off the beaten tourist path then the English rule would be somewhat realistic.
If they were in the middle of a big city where people visit from elsewhere for tourism I doubt they would do this.

Patronization tripled, so I take it this is not in a tourist area.
No, it's not in a tourist area. It's not even in a suburb. It's a podunk town in the middle of NC.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
I wonder how well is needed? How hard is it to order a burger and coke...See I just did.

<What would you like?

< Burger and a coke, please...

< What would you like on your burger?

< What size coke would you like?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, you're so worldly aren't you. How does that work out if you happen to be allergic to what they put in it? See, you people have an answer for everything, but it only fits into YOUR little box. There is an entire WORLD out there that does not operate within the confines of your little box.
Oh goody the what if game.

With an ironic combination of 'you people' and 'the confines of your little box'. LOL

Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I wonder how well is needed? How hard is it to order a burger and coke...See I just did.
I still amuses me when people arguing about the importance of speaking English write nearly incomprehensible sentences

Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
No, it's not in a tourist area. It's not even in a suburb. It's a podunk town in the middle of NC.
Well then it makes sense.
My mother in law has been here for over 30 years and still can't speak 10 words of English.
Maybe this makes some lazy people assimilate.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, you're so worldly aren't you.
compared to a lot of people I meet - Yes.

Unfortunately not compared to some of my friends

Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I still amuses me when people arguing about the importance of speaking English write nearly incomprehensible sentences
Perhaps that is the elite Teacher's Union Education with 30 kids per class.
You make a great case for ending the Teacher's Union.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Oh goody the what if game.

With a ironic combination of 'you people' and 'the confines of your little box'. LOL
Yes, the confines of your little boxes are very tight. See, this is how you guys think. "If I was able to do it and have such a great worldly experience, then EVERYONE can". That's the inside of your little box. That's it, nothing more. So instead of people learning the language in the country that they want to live in, we should pick up the slack for these people? They can suffer from their unwillingness to be responsible people for all I care. I still think this guy did nothing wrong, don't go there if you don't like it.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well then it makes sense.
My mother in law has been here for over 30 years and still can't speak 10 words of English.
Maybe this makes some lazy people assimilate.
That's something I will never understand. I imagine one would almost deliberately have to try and not pick up anything when you are exposed to a language and culture for decades. I learned to speak Portuguese within 5 years, without any courses or dictionaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies