Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

Our healthcare system currently serves our corporate rulers even if it does not serve us. Which is more important? Their endless profit or our needless pain and suffering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
This is precisely why the country needs single payer. One of the key differences I've notices between here and Canada (where I'm from, I'm studying in Ohio) is that many people here always have health insurance in the back of their minds. They won't leave jobs they hate because they have insurance. If they lose their jobs, their immediate concern in insurance. Etc. It's bizarre to me. I really still don't know how my health insurance works, and I haven't used it in the 3 years that I've been here.

Here's the truth - the insurance companies are skimming profit off the system, and the people who refuse to "contribute" are using medicare/medicaid anyway. I really don't understand the downside to implementing something like single payer here, even if the insurance companies continue to exist. It will save money.

It is sad that Obama didn't go after insurance companies the way he went after the American worker. Since I'm not familar enough with the systems in Canada or UK, I really can't comment on how they compare but it sounds like no one is in a good position. Doctors and insurance companies are the ones getting rich off the workers backs, regardless of the country. Yes, my husband is past the retirement age but we have to keep working because of the insurance - and we don't have many health issues! So, the way it appears is that only those who have a good health screening will be allowed to work and contribute to society. How many Steven Hawkings will be lost along the way?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why should people who DON'T pay into the pool be allowed to play?
That's all anyone needs to know about you.

This comment illustrates the juvenile, bratish attitude of Right Wingers like you.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Thank me, very much. By having a skillset worthy of interest my employer offers health insurance as an incentive for me to work here. Under ObamaCare I'd have to buy insurance even if I were 20 years old and fit as a fiddle.
Under a UHC you wouldn't have to pick a job for it's health care as millions of Americans do everyday. Your incentive would be your job...Health and employment should be two seperate issues.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
That is like buying one of our policies, except we don't grab $10 a gallon of gas to pay for it and larger wage taxes and then call it free.
It's NOTHING like buying a policy here.......... Here you have to use a acredited phycisian that is approved by your Insurance Company or pay much higher co-pay. You only get one bite of the Cherry here with a Consultant but in the UK you can have a second or even third oppinion. In the UK you can even be transfered to a different Hospital and team if you are unhappy with the one you are in...NOTHING like here...get real!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM

37,964 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Are the Brits demanding American system? If not, then you've the answer. The problem with NHS is the usual... the conservatives would love to kill it and do not shy away from adding problems at every opportunity.
I'm not referring to any specific health care system, just the reality of relying on bureaucrats, whose only qualifications in health care is their appointment by politicians to run it.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Definately. We already have a parallel Amercian system in the UK anyway (Bupa, Axa PP etc.)
And much cheaper.... My wife, being American insisted on a private health policy when she came to the UK as she, like many here, thought the NHS would be awful. Her Platinum cover which covered absolutely everything with NO co-pay and payments to her of approx $80.00 per day if she used a NHS Hospital, cost here about $80.00 per month.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoBald View Post
Lemme see, let's use the example of the right-wing's favorite "ally": Israel.
Isn't this a bit of a straw dog? I have never heard anyone, from either political party, mention or compare the Israeli health care system as a model for the US.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Our healthcare system currently serves our corporate rulers even if it does not serve us. Which is more important? Their endless profit or our needless pain and suffering?
BARF! Drone post IMO.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
And much cheaper.... My wife, being American insisted on a private health policy when she came to the UK as she, like many here, thought the NHS would be awful. Her Platinum cover which covered absolutely everything with NO co-pay and payments to her of approx $80.00 per day if she used a NHS Hospital, cost here about $80.00 per month.
Which might explain why it takes months of waiting in line before you get treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies