Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM

281 posts, read 256,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The title of the thread is asking for someone to explain how gun laws have made them safe. I am simply answering. Keeping guns from felons is a law, and a gun law, and helps to keep people safe.

Question answered
Probably not the thrust of his question. Do you have another other examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Again, do you think it would be a good idea to legalize selling firearms to felons?

If felons were allowed to have firearms, then when police pull them over, they can't arrest them for breaking the law.

One of the first gun control laws of the nation. Felons aren't allowed to purchase or own firearms.
Sorry, but that flew so far over your head....

The felons are safer because the gun laws are getting so tight on the law abiding citizens, that if we don't watch it....all these gun laws....getting though....the only ones that MAY have guns ARE the felons....cause they don't care....

Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sorry, but that flew so far over your head....

The felons are safer because the gun laws are getting so tight on the law abiding citizens, that if we don't watch it....all these gun laws....getting though....the only ones that MAY have guns ARE the felons....cause they don't care....
AGAIN,

Even if what you said above is true, even if felons are the only ones with guns

If there wasn't the gun law saying felons can't own guns, police can't arrest them for doing so.

So are you saying we should just let felons with firearms run around wherever they want, with no fear of prosecution?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
Probably not the thrust of his question. Do you have another other examples.
He asked the question, I answered it. Yes, there are other gun laws that have made people safer. If you really are concerned about the subject, perhaps you should investigate it more thoroughly.

There are dumb gun laws, a lot of them. But that doesn't mean they are all dumb.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well when I'm under control I can usually group 1/4 inch at 25 yards with my 45 in the 10 ring.
Is the 10-ring shooting back at you, at that time?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So are you saying we should just let felons with firearms run around wherever they want, with no fear of prosecution?
A fear of getting shot by an armed victim (or an armed bystander), should be enough to keep them quiet.

Presently they have no such fear.

That needs to change.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM

"Gun control laws are the criminals' OSHA: They give them a safer working environment."

Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Its also Bull ****. LOL
HAHAHA!

Gun control still means using both hands to me.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
A fear of getting shot by an armed victim, should be enough to keep them quiet.

Presently they have no such fear.

That needs to change.
You realize that most people don't carry firearms, and as someone who knows how to use a gun properly, most people shouldn't own or carry firearms.

But I'm not afraid for me, but if my son goes to school and a felon invades, and only one teacher has a gun, they could hurt my son.

But if the felon prohibition of firearms is on the books, when a police officer sees them driving down the road, and knows that they are a felon, and sees a gun on the dash, they can make an arrest ahead of time.

Admit it, there is at least one good gun law, at least one. Its not the end of the world that says that freedoms granted by the constitution shouldn't be restricted from those who have blatantly broken the law. If you have tried to or have hurt someone with violent intentions, it should be against the law for you to own a gun.

Not all gun laws are needed, but that doesn't mean that they all are stupid either.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
But if the felon prohibition of firearms is on the books, when a police officer sees them driving down the road, and knows that they are a felon, and sees a gun on the dash, they can make an arrest ahead of time.
What felon would drive down the street with a gun plainly showing on top of his dashboard???

Quote:
Admit it, there is at least one good gun law, at least one.
I fully agree. It's one between the first and third amendments.

Quote:
Not all gun laws are needed, but that doesn't mean that they all are stupid either.
Quite true. But once you get one gun-control law (aside from the one I mentioned above ), you are guaranteed to get others. And more, and more. And most of those WILL be stupid - or worse, counterproductive.

For that reason, the only viable alternative is to have none at all. I believe that's why the Framers made the one I mentioned above, as absolute and uncompromising as they did. I suspect they even had jury nullification in mind, for when cops took a gun away from a criminal. No, I can't prove that - who could ever? But it is what I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies