Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My point is that there are a lot of good gun control laws, common sense things that everyone can agree on.
Make that "a few" good gun-control laws, at best. But once you get one gun-control law (aside from the one I mentioned in Post #100 ), you are guaranteed to get others. And more, and more. And most of those WILL be stupid - or worse, counterproductive.

For that reason, the only viable alternative is to have none at all. I believe that's why the Framers made the one I mentioned above, as absolute and uncompromising as they did. I suspect they even had jury nullification in mind, for when cops took a gun away from a criminal. No, I can't prove that - who could ever? But it is what I suspect.

The world is not, and never will be, a safe place. When making laws, we must ask if those laws (a) are legal themselves, and (b) will ultimately make us safer.

For the reasons I have outlined above, I hold that a law preventing a felon from owning a gun, not only flunks Point (a) above, but also flunks Point (b). It causes more harm than the limited good it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:

Muncie felon arrested on gun-related charges | The Star Press | thestarpress.com

So this moron should have been let go? See the part where it says

"unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon in 2007"

You want to let him go buy a gun locally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Make that "a few" good gun-control laws, at best. But once you get one gun-control law (aside from the one I mentioned in Post #100 ), you are guaranteed to get others. And more, and more. And most of those WILL be stupid - or worse, counterproductive.

For that reason, the only viable alternative is to have none at all. I believe that's why the Framers made the one I mentioned above, as absolute and uncompromising as they did. I suspect they even had jury nullification in mind, for when cops took a gun away from a criminal. No, I can't prove that - who could ever? But it is what I suspect.

The world is not, and never will be, a safe place. When making laws, we must ask if those laws (a) are legal themselves, and (b) will ultimately make us safer.

For the reasons I have outlined above, I hold that a law preventing a felon from owning a gun, not only flunks Point (a) above, but also flunks Point (b). It causes more harm than the limited good it does.
My response is quoted from my earlier post.

The question stands, would you have let this guy free when pulled over?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn

My response is quoted from my earlier post.

The question stands, would you have let this guy free when pulled over?
Of course not, if there was a law on the books requiring his arrest.

But my point is that that law, and other so-called "gun control" laws, should not be on the books. Because they do far more harm than good, for the reasons I stated.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Of course not, if there was a law on the books requiring his arrest.

But my point is that that law, and other so-called "gun control" laws, should not be on the books. Because they do far more harm than good, for the reasons I stated.
If it wasn't on the books, then they wouldn't pick him up.

So you think he should have been let go, gotcha.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
If it wasn't on the books, then they wouldn't pick him up.

So you think he should have been let go, gotcha.
See previous post.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
The title of the thread is "somebody tell me how gun control laws make me safer", which entails that they believe that gun control laws don't make them safer, so that there should be none.

My point is that there are a lot of good gun control laws, common sense things that everyone can agree on.
This is what we are arguing about.....did you not read my posts....I have said they are there, and they need to be there...but lets ENFORCE the ones that are there....not pile more on top of them......

How many guns laws are there Memphis (just throw me a number out)...with ALL these guns laws....do the criminals still have guns?

I though gun laws were supposed to stop criminals/felons from having guns? Why do criminals still have guns Memphis? With all those laws out there?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,228 times
I sure don't feel safer. Regardless of laws, a criminal is going to get a gun one way or another. It's the law abiding citizen that suffers.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How many guns laws are there Memphis (just throw me a number out)...with ALL these guns laws....do the criminals still have guns?

I though gun laws were supposed to stop criminals/felons from having guns? Why do criminals still have guns Memphis? With all those laws out there?
Exactly the point.

In fact, so-called "gun control" laws are obeyed only by law-abiding people.

And they are the ones who DON'T need to be controlled.

"Gun control" laws are almost universally a failure.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM

281 posts, read 256,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
I sure don't feel safer. Regardless of laws, a criminal is going to get a gun one way or another. It's the law abiding citizen that suffers.
If not a gun, a knife.
If not a knife, a club.
If not a club, a stone.
If not a stone, a rope
If not a rope, a spear.

Bottom line, is evil people with evil intent will always have the means to kill or otherwise harm you. The only question is, will you be an unarmed victim, or an armed defender/survivor.

Furthermore, the empirical evidence is in, and in, in a multitude of cases, situations, places and scenarios. Gun control never reduces crime, only enhances victim hood. If you support gun control, you support victim hood, knowingly, or through deliberate "ignorance".

I, for one, shall NOT be your sacrificial lamb, but if you want to volunteer, that is up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies