Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So the law that says if an officer finds a felon with a gun, he can arrest him isn't a good one?
Wait, felons are not allowed to have guns. So they broke the LAW AGAIN...

That person did not care about the law before becoming a felon and it's obvious they do not care, again.

You do realize there are over 20,000 gun laws as of today's date....do you think they are working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wait, felons are not allowed to have guns. So they broke the LAW AGAIN...

That person did not care about the law before becoming a felon and it's obvious they do not care, again.

You do realize there are over 20,000 gun laws as of today's date....do you think they are working?
Yes, but without the law, the felon would keep the gun anyway, even if waving it in front of a police station.

Keeping guns from Felons has made the opening poster safer.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Please tell me how gun control is going to keep guns out of the hands of felons? It's not. They are going to get them illegally. It is only going to effect the law abiding gun buyer. The reason they are called felons is because they break the law.
The law that says, if you are a felon, you aren't allowed to have guns.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be any arrests of felons with guns.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Yes, but without the law, the felon would keep the gun anyway, even if waving it in front of a police station.

That's the point. You are not going to keep guns away from felons.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That's the point. You are not going to keep guns away from felons.
Yes, it prevents many of them from obtaining guns, and provides a reason for arrest for those who are up to no good.

What, do felons suddenly get a hunting kick after spending years in prison. You're a felon, you've lost your rights, suck it.

So if you are a felon, and you own a gun, you are clearly a problem child and need to be locked away in a safe place.

But the question was, how have gun laws made me safe? The answer is, without felon prohibition of firearms, felons that would be up to no good can be stopped because they are breaking a law. Felons who learned their lesson can deal without having a few freedoms, you broke the law.

Those make you, me, and everyone safer. Anyone with two functioning brain cells knows that it is real.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Out here in WA state we have recently had two home invasion stories come out, and in both cases, the intruders were shot and killed for intrusion into another person's home. In both cases the intruders had guns or knives on their person and likely would have killed the homeowners and stolen what they could. Memories here are still fresh over the Craigslist killers who killed a man after offering to sell some jewelry online. Foolish to do that online, but still, it proves that guns are necessary when people are willing to kill for money.

I heard another one on the radio about another home invasion from Oklahoma (I think? could be wrong):

In this case, a young widowed mother, whose husband who seems like an awesome guy but died due to cancer, with a very young toddler at home, was forced to brace the front door with a couch and called 911 and asked whether she could shoot to kill to protect her family. The fact that she took the time to ask if it was within the law proves she had guts.

When they started breaking through the door, she took a shotgun and killed one of the intruders. The other fled.

This to me proves that American society is still in frontier-land and you need guns to protect yourself. And if we outlawed it, then the only result would be a barbaric society without the means to protect the innocent and the bad guys having guns only. NOT a good situation.

Maybe in 300 years when we develop a sense of community (something that Canada and others have done but mysteriously we haven't) then we can outlaw guns. But not before.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Out here in WA state we have recently had two home invasion stories come out, and in both cases, the intruders were shot and killed for intrusion into another person's home. In both cases the intruders had guns or knives on their person and likely would have killed the homeowners and stolen what they could. Memories here are still fresh over the Craigslist killers who killed a man after offering to sell some jewelry online. Foolish to do that online, but still, it proves that guns are necessary when people are willing to kill for money.

I heard another one on the radio about another home invasion from Oklahoma (I think? could be wrong):

In this case, a young widowed mother, whose husband who seems like an awesome guy but died due to cancer, with a very young toddler at home, was forced to brace the front door with a couch and called 911 and asked whether she could shoot to kill to protect her family. The fact that she took the time to ask if it was within the law proves she had guts.

When they started breaking through the door, she took a shotgun and killed one of the intruders. The other fled.

This to me proves that American society is still in frontier-land and you need guns to protect yourself. And if we outlawed it, then the only result would be a barbaric society without the means to protect the innocent and the bad guys having guns only. NOT a good situation.

Maybe in 300 years when we develop a sense of community (something that Canada and others have done but mysteriously we haven't) then we can outlaw guns. But not before.
No one is seriously suggesting outlawing all guns.

The opening question is how did gun laws make me safer, and there are tons of gun laws that make people safer. That doesn't mean we need more, it doesn't mean we don't need anymore either.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:

WOW, o.k., I'll give you that one...yes that SINGLE law that you continue to talk about is amazing....now, do felons still have weapons?

Now, lets talk about laws...like the OP is asking, the OP is talking plural...not singular, like you....

The laws don not work, if they worked, we would not have crime...would we..

Tell ya what let's ban crime, that should work, right...

Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Because I think these activists are out of their minds.

Gun control and registration laws have NEVER stopped one crime. They are totally useless laws.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW, o.k., I'll give you that one...yes that SINGLE law that you continue to talk about is amazing....now, do felons still have weapons?

Now, lets talk about laws...like the OP is asking, the OP is talking plural...not singular, like you....

The laws don not work, if they worked, we would not have crime...would we..

Tell ya what let's ban crime, that should work, right...
Ok, we no longer sell fully automatic weapons. Most people don't have full auto. So the violence of the 20s and 30s hasn't been revisited in the same number.

Requiring a background check before buying a gun. I have a friend who is a federally licensed dealer, and he gets a good reason not to sell to some wack jobs sometimes.

COUNTLESS good gun laws. Debate each specific law.

Btw, rape still goes on, does that mean we should repeal all rape laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies