Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raising a child genderless (multiple choice poll)
It's a wonderful idea the world should not have set gender definitions for people 7 12.50%
It's bad idea, dangerous for the child's mental health because the world is not genderless 34 60.71%
I think people should raise their child according to the sex they are born 18 32.14%
I think parents should raise their child according to the gender the child wants to be 8 14.29%
I would raise my children genderless 1 1.79%
I would never raise my children genderless 25 44.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

It's not a gender free baby..that baby has a gender alright.
It's anti-gender parents who are doing this. I guess a bit too progressive for current America ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGViking View Post
I think this belongs in the parenting forum, but it seems strange to me. I don't see what's wrong with a child knowing and identifying with it's gender. It will unnecessarily cause problems with the child's peers. I think the child will resent this.
Actually it's a controversial subject, which is why I put it in this forum.

This is about gender identification at an early age and someone's perception that society pressures someone to conform to their birth sex.

And this quote really drives it home for me:

Quote:
Jazz and Kio have picked out their own clothes in the boys and girls sections of stores since they were 18 months old. Just this week, Jazz unearthed a pink dress at Value Village, which he loves because it “really poofs out at the bottom. It feels so nice. The boys decide whether to cut their hair or let it grow.
The parents are encouraging gender confusion in their children.

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not a gender free baby..that baby has a gender alright.
It's anti-gender parents who are doing this. I guess a bit too progressive for current America ?
I don't see anything "progressive" about it.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't see anything "progressive" about it.
From the article..they are progressive thinking.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the article..they are progressive thinking.
No...they are idiots. And Yes..there is a difference.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
The parents are progressives. No doubt.

Quote:
Stocker teaches at City View Alternative, a tiny school west of Dufferin Grove Park, with four teachers and about 60 Grade 7 and 8 students whose lessons are framed by social-justice issues around class, race and gender.
Is it correct that children are indoctrinated at such an early age in elementary school? Alternative type school?

The parents are immersing their children with a world view that is too adult for them to understand.

I think it's more important that the child be directed with the social mores of our society, not allow them to develop their own social outlook which they are not equipped to understand.

It's damaging to them to indoctrinate them in a gender experiment at birth.

Quote:
Jazz — soft-spoken, with a slight frame and curious brown eyes — keeps his hair long, preferring to wear it in three braids, two in the front and one in the back, even though both his parents have close-cropped hair. His favourite colour is pink, although his parents don’t own a piece of pink clothing between them. He loves to paint his fingernails and wears a sparkly pink stud in one ear, despite the fact his parents wear no nail polish or jewelry.

Kio keeps his curly blond hair just below his chin. The 2-year-old loves purple, although he’s happiest in any kind of pyjama pants.
“As a result, Jazz and now Kio are almost exclusively assumed to be girls,” says Stocker, adding he and Witterick don’t out them. It’s the boys’ choice whether they want to offer a correction.
Experimentation with their child's gender identification.

Let's say you leave a kid to his own devices he's going to dress up in a superman costume 24/hours a day. Is that right to allow the kid to have delusions that he's a superhero? C'mon.

Why allow the kid to live a fantasy? Pink sparkly earring stud and painted fingernails? That kid may grow up to resent his parents.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

This is about gender identification at an early age and someone's perception that society pressures someone to conform to their birth sex.

I see. I agree about the problems this will cause. If they don't want their children to show their gender, what's to stop them from encouraging lawlessness or other antisocial behaviors? Their ideas are dangerous to society.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Unless the child was born with the genitalia of both sexes---it does happen---then it seems like a pointless experiment that could do some harm in the long run. I had a relative who had a baby decades ago and they really couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl for several weeks. (No blood tests back then to help.) IF the child has a birth defect/problem along those lines then I could understand---sort of---why they don't want to assign a sex. Other wise, it's just wierd not to tell. Don't the test babies now at birth to make sure their genitalia matches their blood work?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM

I'm just amazed that these parents individually support this kind of thing. One parent with a crazy idea is bad enough but two? What are the odds..

Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Sex and gender are different things. You seem to be using them somewhat interchangeably. For instance, your poll is about babies and gender, but then one of the choices talks about biological sex.

Question: Do infants even have a gender? When does a human being start to self-identify along gender lines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies