Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times

Advertisements

8 of the 10 commandments are being used in our law in the form of hundreds of laws.

The ones about loving God above all things and not bringing false gods does not apply for government use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The Church of England was formed and the Protestant Reformation occurred well before the American Revolution.
Sorry I did word this wrong...........I'm sure from knowing what had happened in the darkness of religion, was the reason for separation of Church and State. Just to discount that they were not Godly is wrong. Even if some had doubts, this is normal to question and wander, doesn't mean they discredit the whole idea of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Really, is that why Buddhists are some of the most peaceful people on the planet, and all the Christian and Muslim countries are not?
Buddhists not so peaceful...................
Buddhist Channel | Buddhism News, Headlines | Issues | Buddhist countries not so peaceful after all
"Peace isn't just the absence of war; it's the absence of violence."

Buddhist countries (or countries with a significant Buddhist population) most at peace (GPI rankings in bracket):
1. Japan (5) *
2. Bhutan (19)
3. Hong Kong (23) *
4. Singapore (29) *
5. South Korea (32)
6. Vietnam (35) *
7. Taiwan (36)
8. Malaysia (37) *
9. China (60) *
10. Cambodia (85)
11. Thailand (105)
12. Myanmar (108)
13. India (109) *
14. Sri Lanka (111)
* Countries with a significant Buddhist minority

Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
All the ones dealing with God.
What can one say.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It isn't the matter of liking any or all of the commandments, but the problem with the idea that it should serve as the basis for laws much less that it is the basis of the US constitution when the founders couldn't be more clear about their desire to keep politics and religion separate from each other. But if you must ask, here are the commandments:
1- There is no other God
2- Do not make yourself an idol
3- Do not use God's name in vain and for oaths
4- Keep Sabbath holy
5- Respect your parents
6- Do not kill
7- Do not commit adultery
8- Do not steal
9- Do not lie
10- Do not covet your neighbor's belongings

#1, for example, would be in violation of the first amendment.
#2, makes for an amusing case considering that all three religions with the commandment (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) are proudly associated with symbolism. Technically, the Cross is an idol, a violation of the commandment.
#3, offers more of that amusement considering that oaths are pushed for by the same folks who want ten commandments to be the law when it forbids it.
#5,6,7, 8 and 9 are common sense practices. For example, if we go by the Cain-Abel story in all three religions, it wasn't acceptable until the ten commandments to lie and kill.
#10, well there's another for amusement. The commandment basically "outlaws" any idea of you having the desire to buy someone's property.

Now, why would we be so eager to push for these as the basis of our laws, again? Are people not scared of Sharia?
1. No other God, this to me is so that we are not creating just any God.

2. There is a difference in a symbol and an idol..........if you are using these as your reason to pray, you might want to re think how you are looking at the symbol.

3. To me this is out of respect, I for one just don't use His name, I actually find more non-believers calling out Jesus Christ and God Damn, than I do believers. Out of my not so nice words, God's name just doesn't come to mind at that moment.

4.This one I know I fail most Sundays. I figure I would have to stay in bed all day. I find it hard to just do nothing all day and most of my activities are probably not considered holy.

5,6,7 8, 9. The moral of the story, these things will separate you from your family and friends and not in a good way.

10. Seems you are taking this out of context.....doesn't mean you can't buy property. It means you can't have your best friends wife, you can't kill your neighbor cause you want his car. Look what has happened in society with wife swapping,people breaking into others homes.

A good example is Arnold Schwarzenegger's case................ the maid was coveting Maria's things.

The thing with Sharia is it would be LAW and you won't have a choice...........beheading just what kind of justice is this, honor killing, how can one compare Christianity today to Sharia??

Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
8 of the 10 commandments are being used in our law in the form of hundreds of laws.
I would say eight of the ten are NOT being used in our laws.

1- There is no other God
2- Do not make yourself an idol
3- Do not use God's name in vain and for oaths
4- Keep Sabbath holy (except for blue laws, which are slowly but surely falling into the dustbin of history)
5- Respect your parents

7- Do not commit adultery

9- Do not lie
10- Do not covet your neighbor's belongings

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Wasn't this because in England the Catholic Church ruled religion?? As you see from the quotes, it wasn't God they were avoiding it was "Religion". It was the monopoly of the Catholic Church ruling with an iron fist.
The problem with your post is that it is uninformed. The Catholic Church was kicked out of England during the reign of Henry VIII. Try again.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, no. All ten commandments are a part of Islam as well. The Quranic version of "Thou Shall Not Kill":

"Anyone who murders any person who had not committed murder or horrendous crimes, it shall be as if he murdered all the people."
- (Qur'an 5:32)

Unless of course, you're not a muslim. Then, it's encouraged.

More of the same, Judaism, Islam and Christianity alike.
Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. - 66:9

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
All people should ignore #7, because promiscuity is loads of fun.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM

41 posts, read 28,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Thankfully we don't live under the Law and have to keep that. Jesus was the end of the Law.

Jesus clearly stated he did not come to change the law. What are you talking about?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
I personally believe that we should respect all of the individual beliefs. If we had to pick a state religion Buddhism would be the most sensible one.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They just don't get it. Western civilization was built on Judeo Christian principles and philosophies. The far left is trying very hard to wipe that part of history clean.
Yeah, they've been squashing truth for centuries.

After 1610, when he began publicly supporting the heliocentric view, which placed the Sun at the centre of the universe, he met with bitter opposition from some philosophers and clerics, and two of the latter eventually denounced him to the Roman Inquisition early in 1615. In February 1616, although he had been cleared of any offence, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture",[10] and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.[11][12]

Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rest of your life under house arrrest. Damn those leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies