Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM

135 posts, read 310,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Oh boy!!!

If we go back to the God of the Bible, and include the first half, that means I can rape a virgin in the countryside and then pay her father $50 bucks and marry her, as long as I don't ever leave her.

Bad news for non-virgins though. If the groom suspects the bride isn't a virgin, he can have her examined by the elders and if turns out she's not, she will be taken to the gates of the city and stoned to death.

And for Pete's sake, if any of you married men go get in a fight with another man, be sure your wife doesn't try to break up the fight, because if she accidentally squashes your privates, Deuteronomy 23:1 says you can't go to church anymore. Bummer!
Great point TXboomerang! Biblical humor at its best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And just exactly when is it that you believe this era of "morality and prudence" existed?
The Dark Ages?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
4“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male slave, nor your female slave, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
9“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.10“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male slave, nor his female slave, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”
By mentioning slavery in the 10 commandments, does this imply that slavery would be perfectly legal in a Christian nation?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yeah you're right, I forget which Constitutional amendment bans the worship of gods other than Jehovah but I'm sure it's in there.
And let's not forget the law about no work on the Sabbath. (of any kind- that includes washing your car, cooking etc)

And not coveting your neighbour's wives, slaves and asses.

And honoring your parents. The punishment for children who don't is to be stoned to death.

Seriously, have these RWNJ's ever even READ the 10 commandments, let alone the whole Bible?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sarah Palin: American Law Should Be 'Based On The God Of The Bible And The Ten Commandments'

She may have a point.

America could do worse than to go back to an age of morality and prudence.

We have strayed further and further away from strong family values that hold our communities together.

The family that prays together...stays together.
It's not a "would they"? question. They tell us every day they would rule us, if they could, not just according to Christian beliefs, but their version of those beliefs, as they believe them to be.

They're dangerous people. Reason enough to vote Democratic.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Would Christian Conservatives Like To See Christian Law Rule The Land Much Like Islamic Law in Muslim Countries?

I thought that is what we had and still have. ?????

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

The family that prays together...stays together.
Oh i beg to differ.

That saying is a perfect example of something being said so much that folks start to believe it.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Oh boy!!!

If we go back to the God of the Bible, and include the first half, that means I can rape a virgin in the countryside and then pay her father $50 bucks and marry her, as long as I don't ever leave her.

Bad news for non-virgins though. If the groom suspects the bride isn't a virgin, he can have her examined by the elders and if turns out she's not, she will be taken to the gates of the city and stoned to death.

And for Pete's sake, if any of you married men go get in a fight with another man, be sure your wife doesn't try to break up the fight, because if she accidentally squashes your privates, Deuteronomy 23:1 says you can't go to church anymore. Bummer!
Why would you go back to the O.T. and not the N.T. ?? Just amazes me how people like you, refer to the O.T. before the N.T. or is this your only way to bash Christians.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
First of all, I don't think anyone should be forced to choose a religion. I am a Christian and even Jesus himself gave us a free will to accept or reject him. It is not possible to force Christianity on anyone. What happens in America if one chooses not to go to church? Nothing. I have friends and family who don't go. What happens in a Muslim country like Saudi Arabia if one refuses to attend mosque? They are killed, stoned, beheaded, or face severe persecution.

I do think we need to get back to where we actually had morals. Hanging the Ten Commandments on a courtroom wall does not force Christianity on anyone. For one thing, you don't have to read them if you don't want to. Plus, some of the Ten Commandments could apply to everyone. I mean really, are things like, "Do not kill. Do not steal. Do not lie." really that bad for all of us to practice? How many Wall Street banksters lied to homeowners prior to 2008? How many kids are carrying guns and knives to school? How many cops have died in the line of duty? How many jobs have been outsourced in the name of greed? Things would get better in this country if we actually had some morals.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Absolutely not.

We also don't like the "religion" of big government rule either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies