U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support major cuts to Social Security and Medicare?
Yes and I lean right 13 27.08%
No and I lean right 8 16.67%
Yes and I lean left 4 8.33%
No and I lean left 23 47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 PM

31,765 posts, read 27,210,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The VA model is said to suck and what everyone was pointing to like a Frankenstein when talking about Obama-care.
When it comes to health care in America, what is it that doesn't suck? VA, however, less so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM

16,876 posts, read 14,313,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Should Social Security and Medicare be cut?

not cut, gotten rid of, and all the funds that the feds have stolen from the american people returned to the people.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,873,231 times
I support reforms to Medicare and SS. But privatization? Heck no

One thing is for sure...there's not enough of us Gen X'rs to pay for the retirement benefits of the Baby Boomers. The selfishness of the Boomers has caught up with us in a bad way.

THEY didn't have to sacrifice, but WE will have to sacrifice to clean up their mess. Thanks Baby Boomers

Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM

16,876 posts, read 14,313,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I support reforms to Medicare and SS. But privatization? Heck no

One thing is for sure...there's not enough of us Gen X'rs to pay for the retirement benefits of the Baby Boomers. The selfishness of the Boomers has caught up with us in a bad way.

THEY didn't have to sacrifice, but WE will have to sacrifice to clean up their mess. Thanks Baby Boomers

I dont believe in privatization either. I support just getting rid of the whole boondoggle, and give the money the feds have stolen from the people back to the people.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM

28,943 posts, read 16,784,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Medicaid is state operated, with Federal matching. Having said that, the largest chunk of Medicaid spending, nearly 65% of it, is on the elderly and the disabled who are on Medicare (about 14% of Medicaid recipients).

I believe that Medicare and Medicaid should be reformed to follow the more efficient, and fiscally responsible, VA model.
well if its federal matching then it is a very lousy system (and its considered a single payer system the single payer is the government (doesnt matter if its 20 differnt offices within the government)

medicaid is over 345 BILLION dollars of the FEDERAL budget..just to cover 40 million people

a true 100% coverage singlepayer UHC would cost the TAXPAYERS 3-5 TRILLION a YEAR...no one can afford that

Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM

17,604 posts, read 23,111,743 times
remove the cap from the wage tax and there is no problem

Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM

28,943 posts, read 16,784,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
remove the cap from the wage tax and there is no problem
oh that's a good one..remove the cap so the PAYOUTS can be bigger for the rich guys

that's sure going to help.....not

Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,830,019 times
It really hurts looking at your paystub each month and seeing how much of it goes to SS and medicare and all the other crap that you know you are not going to get. I'm 31 and would gladly opt out of all the benefits for the rest of my life if I could just not get taxed on it every year. It's disgusting how much of our paychecks go down the SS rathole.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM

13,180 posts, read 14,154,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It really hurts looking at your paystub each month and seeing how much of it goes to SS and medicare and all the other crap that you know you are not going to get. I'm 31 and would gladly opt out of all the benefits for the rest of my life if I could just not get taxed on it every year. It's disgusting how much of our paychecks go down the SS rathole.
You've fallen for right wing propaganda. Convince dupes that SS is in dire straights so they will give up on the most successful well run government program in existence. It has a manageable long term deficit that could simply be corrected by lifting the income cap on the wealthy.

Oh and what are we going to do with the present day retirees when you get to opt out and pull your money out? They depend on that money to live on and they contributed their part to retirees when they were 31 years old.

I know..you want to borrow more money from China to make up the difference. ...LOL

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,830,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You've fallen for right wing propaganda. Convince dupes that SS is in dire straights so they will give up on the most successful well run government program in existence. It has a manageable long term deficit that could simply be corrected by lifting the income cap on the wealthy.

Oh and what are we going to do with the present day retirees when you get to opt out and pull your money out? They depend on that money to live on and they contributed their part to retirees when they were 31 years old.

I know..you want to borrow more money from China to make up the difference. ...LOL
Do the math yourself. There's no way we are going to be able to pay for the Baby Boomers who haven't even retired yet. The system is broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies