Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM

760 posts, read 685,545 times

Advertisements

As a fellow Texan I would have also said something as well. I love that show. I thought it was going to be slightly embarrassing for Farmer's Branch. Turned out not so except for the old guy high fiving. Too bad they blurred his face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default What would you do if you saw gay parents berated by a waitress?

It would be none of my buisness, thats their life they need to be able to stand up for themselves. In a real situation the Women would have stood up for themselves instead of being wusses.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
What would you do if you saw gay parents berated by a waitress?

I would assume that the parents, since they are parents, have enough backbone and brains to summon the manager and have the whackadoodle waitress fired....if they're too dumb to do that simple task then they deserve sass....

Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It would be none of my buisness, thats their life they need to be able to stand up for themselves. In a real situation the Women would have stood up for themselves instead of being wusses.
Ya, that's true but ya would hate to see brave strong intelligent women ON TV!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM

315 posts, read 366,687 times
So if they sit there, flabbergasted that someone would be so awful, they deserve to be harassed?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
The NYC reaction is more in tune with the big city, fast paced, "none of my business mentality", rather than being tolerant of intolerance. If this were a small town in NE, NY or NJ, or any blue state, more people would have had a chance to speak up. No way is rural Texas more tolerant than NYC. Notice that they only had quick snippets of people who did NOT stand up? As a TX transplant from MA, though, it's good to see that not all of the media is bashing my new state.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
I thought this segment was pretty touching, honestly.

YouTube - ‪Gay Parents Bashed‬‏

But in the same situation, what would you do?
Just goes to show that most people aren't like the types that post here.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
I hate that show because it really sets people up, but it's interesting.

People from TX are generally quite friendly, and I find it to be a more genuine friendliness than anywhere else I've been.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I wouldn't leave a tip. Letting your personal opinions pour over into your job like that is unprofessional. From a purely business point of view, gay rights aside, it's inappropriate. People are human, and we can't help but feel what we feel, but we do have control over our actions and not exercising restraint in a professional situation would leave that person with no tip from me. You don't berate customers, period. If a customer is being disruptive there are other protocols to go by (such as calling the manager) but berating a customer for whatever reason (including being gay) is never appropriate.

I don't think this is a liberal/conservative issue. I think it has to do with business common sense. #1 rule: don't alienate the customer.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
So if the reactions had been different you would have chalked it up to NYC being liberal and Texas being conservative.

It's reallly quite simple. Liberals are jack ass*s. Conservatives are decent folk.
The New Yorkers' response had less to do with being "Liberal" than with being "from NEW YORK CITY". New Yorkers have a reputation for "minding their own business" - and it SHOWED in this case.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies