Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times

Advertisements

A tornado is a weather phenomenon. Period. That said, it is not a mysterious phenomenon. Meteorlogical science knows how tornadoes are formed and has for decades. Whether you believe in Global Warming or Global Cooling only a fool does not believe that there is Climate Change underway. So, going forward, does the most technologically advanced nation ever watch helplessly as more and more of these weather phenomenon wreack havoc on population centers? That's what would be sad. If the DOD condidered tornadoes or F5 hurricanes the way they considered the Ruskies we would have developed the ability to reduce or eliminate the threat from weather fronts by 1975. The Army Corps of engineers might actually be able to build levees that hold... imagine. For most of our lives the big disasters have always been somewhere else. That time is coming to an end.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times
I reckon he spied a couple of good ole boys spoonin' while they was coon huntin' and unleashed a shiitestorm.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why is God punishing "The American Heartland"
Any ideas?
The gays

Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
God didn't do anything, its the natural ebb and flow of the weather cycle. Tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanos, etc have always been there.

But we used to not live in an area that is 3/4's a mile wide by 7 miles long, all packed into tight little cubicles.

I feel terrible for the people in the area, but its as random as "why did that tree fall on his car when he got in" category. **** happens, no meaning behind it. Death isn't something to be afraid of. Those that have died have it a whole lot easier then those left behind to rebuild.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Death isn't something to be afraid of. Those that have died have it a whole lot easier then those left behind to rebuild.
What do you know about it? The afterlife might be the tailgate party that never ends or it might be the root canal that never ends or it might be nothing at all. If only because this corporeal existence is all we know, life is cherished, even if it sometimes isn't much of a life by middle class standards. I do not look forward to having a wall fall on me during a wild tornado and bleeding slowly to death from grave injuries under tons of rubble. Easy? Easier? Some choice.

H

Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What do you know about it? The afterlife might be the tailgate party that never ends or it might be the root canal that never ends or it might be nothing at all. If only because this corporeal existence is all we know, life is cherished, even if it sometimes isn't much of a life by middle class standards. I do not look forward to having a wall fall on me during a wild tornado and bleeding slowly to death from grave injuries under tons of rubble. Easy? Easier? Some choice.

H
We are all going to die. I said it, scary. Honestly, its nothing to be afraid of because its like trying to stop the inevitable. We are all going to die, no ones getting out of here alive this time. (thanks ff)

If its good, bad, nothing, something we couldn't possibly imagine that defys the concepts of good and bad to the human mind. Still going to get there one way or the other. Its like trying to be scared of the morning. Its going to get there one way or the other. Whether you see it is another question entirely.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
The Joplin tragedy was a random event that occurred independently of any other event. The tornado left a 6 mile by half mile swath of damage. Three square miles of ground were effected by this storm. If you toss a dart at a map of any 3 square mile patch of ground in the midwest, odds are great that you will hit a rural, sparsely populated patch and not a densely populated urban patch. Most tornadoes that touchdown, and many do not, do little damage because they touchdown in a field somewhere in the sticks. This tornado hit a densely populated urban area... not because God is unmerciful, not because of global warming, not because Joplin was due for one.

It just happened.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Well that has always been and not just from fundalmentalist either.Look at those who rave on global wrmings ;creat comspiracies by e-mail and say they know. The earth as always had cycles in weather and disasters. In fact the PNW is 150 uyears over due scientist say for a earthqauke as bad as japans but closer to shore that will surpass it in deaths and damage because of that.Then they say many other spots are long over due. Frankly give me the hurricanes any day.But then you actually have people who take LSD to expand their minds;crack for some reaosn and get on other drugs to the point of suicide often. Real thionkers in this world as seen everyday.Personally reading the bible I don't see this as anything god like from even what it tells of god's rath.A simple reading will tell you of that.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM

760 posts, read 685,505 times
God must have been pissed at my car. It just got hit with golf ball size hail and we have rotation to the north and south.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
God must have been pissed at my car. It just got hit with golf ball size hail and we have rotation to the north and south.
stay safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies