Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times

Advertisements

John David Dyche | Democratic programs add to black unemployment | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

President Obama would increase the minimum wage to $9.50 per hour and index it to inflation. This would hurt minority hiring just as his health care law is doing.
Congressional Budget Office director Doug Elmendorf admits that “Obamacare” will reduce labor force participation by 800,000 over the next decade. The conservative Heritage Foundation attributes this to Obamacare's higher costs on businesses and its expanded benefits and subsidies. Obamacare discourages both hiring and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
You know I've been asking myself lately, if Democrats are simply too stupid to understand the ramifications of their plans, or if they fully understand them, but pass them anyways because they want more people dependant on government.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You know I've been asking myself lately, if Democrats are simply too stupid to understand the ramifications of their plans, or if they fully understand them, but pass them anyways because they want more people dependant on government.
Well the plan with Obamacare was to take the private sector medical component and turn it into a Democrat voting Union block, but people don't like $5000 fines, a 3.75% sales tax on your home or that small businesses will fire the 5th employee that would require them to buy everyone insurance.

The money isn't there to bribe people with and we are going to have to fire lots of government elite union folks, and remove lots of people from social programs to make it all get better.
No one loves to bring that message to the voters. Eventually they are going to have to deal with it anyway.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Both, actually. The recipients of the democratic programs are too stupid to realize they're being used and the democrats that create the programs do so knowingly in order to secure their voting base.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Let's dispense with a few myths/lies first.

The Affordable Health Care Act will result in higher unemployment

The CBO, not the Obama administration commented on the 800,000 figure but more importantly what CBO Douglas Elmendorf testified to was that the Affordable Healthcare Act would reduce "the legislation, on net, will reduce the amount of labor used in the economy by a small amount—roughly half a percent—primarily by reducing the amount of labor that workers choose to supply." In short some percentage of the workforce will drop out of the economy due to the need to seek employment just for the purpose of obtaining health care insurance.

As for the affect on minimum wage on employment:

Employment and the Minimum Wage—Evidence from Recent State Labor Market Trends

Economist's View: Does a Higher Minimum Wage Reduce Jobs?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let's dispense with a few myths/lies first.

The Affordable Health Care Act will result in higher unemployment

The CBO, not the Obama administration commented on the 800,000 figure but more importantly what CBO Douglas Elmendorf testified to was that the Affordable Healthcare Act would reduce "the legislation, on net, will reduce the amount of labor used in the economy by a small amount—roughly half a percent—primarily by reducing the amount of labor that workers choose to supply." In short some percentage of the workforce will drop out of the economy due to the need to seek employment just for the purpose of obtaining health care insurance.
Some people dropping out of the work force would actually decrease unemployment, not increase it.

Rep. [John] Campbell: Thank you, Mr. Chairman, we’ll — and Dr. Elmendorf — and we’ll continue this conversation right now. First on health care, before I get to — before I get to broader issues, you just mentioned that you believe — or that in your estimate, that the health care law would reduce the labor used in the economy by about 1/2 of 1 percent, given that, I believe you say, there’s 160 million full-time people working in ’20-’21. That means that, in your estimation, the health care law would reduce employment by 800,000 in ’20-’21. Is that correct?
Director Elmendorf: Yes. The way I would put it is that we do estimate, as you said, that…employment will be about 160 million by the end of the decade. Half a percent of that is 800,000.

People simply dropping out of the work force, does not reduce employment.. You are wrong, bought the liberal bs about what was said once again.

The further error in your reply is that the CBO said the result would be LESS JOBS, not just less people seeking employment.

Chairman [Paul] Ryan: “t’s been argued…that the new health care law will create jobs and increase labor force participation. But if I recall from your analysis, it was quite the opposite. Is that not the case?”
[i]Director [Douglas] Elmendorf : “Yes.”…
Wrong. Not only does higher minimum wages reduce jobs, but they also add people into the work force. People in school for example drop out so they can earn wages.

Since you dont seem to understand elementary math, I know someone who owns a chain of grocery stores, (excess of 300 stores).. They outsourced a large percentage of their cashiers with self checkout lines after minimum wage increased because it was cheaper. Their break even point was less than 1 year per machine, and since they have hundreds of stores, and each store had about 50 employees, it was somewhere around 15,000 more people out of work..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies