U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM

34,157 posts, read 58,949,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
About half (51%) of the 1,203 adults surveyed report a personal connection with the federal-state insurance program for low-income Americans, defined as receiving benefits themselves or having a friend or family member who has done so.

Digging into who actually receives Medicaid explains how so many Americans have had a brush with the program. According to previous Kaiser research, a full 70% of nursing-home residents have Medicaid coverage. (As the NYT noted in a recent story on the impact of proposed Medicaid changes on the elderly, seniors who start out with savings often spend all their money on long-term care.)

And according to Kaiser, 60% of low-income kids, 44% of HIV/AIDS patients, 41% of pregnant women, 20% of people with severe disabilities and 21% of Medicare beneficiaries receive Medicaid coverage. (You can find those stats in this issue brief.)

Kaiser Poll: Half of Americans Report Personal Tie to Medicaid - Health Blog - WSJ

The GOP should probably take a look at this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM

36,453 posts, read 19,700,625 times
How far America has fallen.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM

86,068 posts, read 77,001,116 times
60% of Americans are receiving government aid in one form or another.

The scales have tipped. Surely people can see that we cannot continue down this path ?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM

36,453 posts, read 19,700,625 times
we will just tax the rich until there are no more,then we will go after the middle class and so on...

America is consuming itself.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM

30,733 posts, read 18,169,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Ah, the power of multiplication. Did you know that 200 million Americans are only three people removed from Kevin Bacon? Or thereabouts.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,475,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I have a white trash cousin many states away who lives on it as well as her daughter, granddaughter....they are generational. Disgusts me completely and I loath their entitlement additude. My cousin started the generational underage single mothers in her linage. The Medicaid system enabled their behavior and the youngest cranks out babies just to get a bigger check and more on her food stamp allowance.

My aunt says her daughter, grand daughter and great grand daughter deserve the money because she worked and paid taxes most of her life (though now lives off Medicare and a 2nd husband's military pension). They are, perhaps more than any other, the reason I believe this country needs Medicaid reform to be cut back to the truly medically dependent and not the able bodied but irresponsible freeloaders of society with an entitlement additude. Obviously, YMMV.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,339,766 times
^^^God didn't make any trash!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 PM

12,373 posts, read 8,355,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
60% of Americans are receiving government aid in one form or another.

The scales have tipped. Surely people can see that we cannot continue down this path ?
Do you have a link to back up that statement? I'm curious what kind of 'aid' that entails. Does it include, for example, seniors who get a break on property tax or parents getting tax breaks that single people can't get? Student loans? Are they counted in that 60%? I know a lot of people and I only know a few people on Medicaid and they are all severely disabled, can't even dress themselves or roll over in bed without help. I know no one on food stamps or Wic or Welfare. If 60% of people are getting government aid you'd think we'd all know quite a few people in our circle of friends and acquaintances.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM

86,068 posts, read 77,001,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Do you have a link to back up that statement? I'm curious what kind of 'aid' that entails. Does it include, for example, seniors who get a break on property tax or parents getting tax breaks that single people can't get? Student loans? Are they counted in that 60%? I know a lot of people and I only know a few people on Medicaid and they are all severely disabled, can't even dress themselves or roll over in bed without help. I know no one on food stamps or Wic or Welfare. If 60% of people are getting government aid you'd think we'd all know quite a few people in our circle of friends and acquaintances.
I'd have to go dig it up. It was referenced in a thread here on C-D and it was from the census.

It's not exactly 60% though so hard to just google.
I did find 2009 numbers which are about 46% and do have the breakdown:

Big government on the brink: Expectations that can't be met | Deseret News
"Few Americans realize the extent of their dependency. The Census Bureau reports that in 2009 almost half (46.2 percent) of the 300 million Americans received at least one federal benefit: 46.5 million, Social Security; 42.6 million, Medicare; 42.4 million, Medicaid; 36.1 million, food stamps; 3.2 million, veterans' benefits; 12.4 million, housing subsidies. The Census list doesn't include tax breaks. Counting those, perhaps three-quarters or more of Americans receive some sizable government benefit. For example, about 22 percent of taxpayers benefit from the home mortgage interest deduction and 43 percent from the preferential treatment of employer-provided health insurance, says the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. "

Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,339,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd have to go dig it up. It was referenced in a thread here on C-D and it was from the census.

It's not exactly 60% though so hard to just google.
I did find 2009 numbers which are about 46% and do have the breakdown:

Big government on the brink: Expectations that can't be met | Deseret News
"Few Americans realize the extent of their dependency. The Census Bureau reports that in 2009 almost half (46.2 percent) of the 300 million Americans received at least one federal benefit: 46.5 million, Social Security; 42.6 million, Medicare; 42.4 million, Medicaid; 36.1 million, food stamps; 3.2 million, veterans' benefits; 12.4 million, housing subsidies. The Census list doesn't include tax breaks. Counting those, perhaps three-quarters or more of Americans receive some sizable government benefit. For example, about 22 percent of taxpayers benefit from the home mortgage interest deduction and 43 percent from the preferential treatment of employer-provided health insurance, says the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. "
At least one benefit, eh? This includes virtually everyone over 65 (SS and Medicare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies