Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times

Advertisements

I voted for Senator Obama because he seemed intelligent, well-organized, able to put a good team together, and disciplined. This was exemplified by the type of campaign his team ran. It was a much better campaign than Senator McCain's team put together. I rank it even better than Senator McCain's 2000 "Straight Talk Express" campaign, which I thought was the best I had ever seen when it started but couldn't keep the momentum.

Also, since Senator Obama was running for President having little experience, he showed a lot of ambition and chutzpah. This was a young candidate with a serious game.

So, to answer the OP's question.

I was thinking: "I like the guy".

I was also thinking: "Do I want to see a Republican in that office for 12 straight years? No."

I like to talk about voting to the issues that effect me and not let candidate affiliation or likability influence my decision, but who am I kidding? I vote rationally for referendums and voter initiatives; not so much for candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
The plain and simple truth is I and many others voted for Obama simply because he was the best of the choices we had. Lets face it. The only way McCain would have won the election is if he was the only one running.

Add in the fact that this county was so tired of the crap that Bush had put us through you couldn't have gotten a republican elected if Mickey Mouse was was running against him.
Come on now, we all know race had a huge part to play in why Obama got elected.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:58 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
It's funny, most somewhat regretful Obama supporters are trying to have us believe now that they picked a guy who was 'not as bad as the other alternative'. When in reality, when they dreamily voted Obama, they were voting for the greatest (to be) President in history who will fix everything and make America greater than she ever was.

Oh, I guess you were in everyone's head in 2008? Or are you just spouting the crap you saw on TV. A lot of us voted Obama as the only choice we had against that joke of a ticket McCain/Palin.

There were certainly no "dreams" on my part or anyone I know that voted Democrat last time. I knew that WHOEVER got into office, be it Obama or McCain, it was going to be a bad road. I just couldn't stomach Palin.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
The plain and simple truth is I and many others voted for Obama simply because he was the best of the choices we had. Lets face it. The only way McCain would have won the election is if he was the only one running.

Add in the fact that this county was so tired of the crap that Bush had put us through you couldn't have gotten a republican elected if Mickey Mouse was was running against him.
So the answer is to pay the hell attention to your candidates in the primaries, so we never again get an unqualified train wreck of a candidate like 0bama, or some life-time senator like McCain who thinks he is owed the presidency, because it's his turn.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh, I guess you were in everyone's head in 2008? Or are you just spouting the crap you saw on TV. A lot of us voted Obama as the only choice we had against that joke of a ticket McCain/Palin.

There were certainly no "dreams" on my part or anyone I know that voted Democrat last time. I knew that WHOEVER got into office, be it Obama or McCain, it was going to be a bad road. I just couldn't stomach Palin.
I call BS on the 'protest vote' argument. You mean to tell me you were THE Obama voter who was not in tears election night and inauguration day, witnessing 'history' being made?

The fact of the matter is most people who voted Obama did it because they were in love with the guy and they wanted to be part of history, having a hand in changing the world as the Messiah turns out to be the best (by far) President of all time.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
I call BS on the 'protest vote' argument. You mean to tell me you were THE Obama voter who was not in tears election night and inauguration day, witnessing 'history' being made?

The fact of the matter is most people who voted Obama did it because they were in love with the guy and they wanted to be part of history, having a hand in changing the world as the Messiah turns out to be the best (by far) President of all time.
Tears? Hardly...

Happy that GWB would not get his "3rd term" through McCain..

Even more pleased to see Palin kept out of Washington..

Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Ho pensato, cio e' perche' non ho vatato per lui!

Italian for

I did think, that is why i did not vote for him.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Tears? Hardly...

Happy that GWB would not get his "3rd term" through McCain..

Even more pleased to see Palin kept out of Washington..
OK with you, we're up to 2.

Could be that I believed all the media hype that equated Obama's anointment to VE-day and VJ-day, and JFK getting electing and inaugaurated, and the signing of the Declaration of Independence, all added together and multiplied by 10.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,154 times
I have no regrets voting for Obama.
The Bush administration really turned me off to the Republican party and even though McCain at one time may have been ok, he took a right turn to try and appease the right wing. Plus, adding Palin to the mix made it impossible to vote for his ticket.

I think Obama has done pretty well, especially considering what Bush left him with. I don't see anyone on the horizon that can beat him. Lot's of time left though till November, 2012.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Boy they sure is a lot of "Obama regret" in right wing bizzarro World.

As this graph of his approval rating since in office clearly shows................NOT!

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies