Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times

Advertisements

Can we get this moved to the crazy paranoia forum?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
wow...the subtle kind is the most annoying kind of racism...cause it's layered with justification and rational...[/b]
This x 100.

"Oh it's not because you're black it's because..."

Quote:
Oh, and I won't even go near those 'self check out' registers anymore...forget it...
My wife gets accused of stealing every time she tries to use those. Every. Single. Time. She wears baggy clothes but so do I and I've never been bothered once. It's totally a race thing.

Quote:
(I also want to make it clear that again...I'm not pinning all this in store bigotry on 'whites'...there are many 'blacks' who do it, instead of ending the nonesense, they perpetuate it, makes them feel 'powerful' I guess...Asians do it, middle eastern foriegners do it, blacks just seem to be the dumping bag of everyones hostilities and suspicions)
So true.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:57 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Seriously?

Do you think that if you wear expensive clothing, that you won't be tagged?

It's not the clothing.

It's the stereotyping.

In Europe there are Gypsies.

Those same Gypsies could wear Chanel and be Oprah rich... They'd still be followed. because they're "gypsies"

It's the media attention, the news, the social history, that people cling to. That causes group "A" to be followed for whatever reason but not RACE (per se) and because of that reason people choose black to select (easy target, stereotype, etc).
Add Muslims to that too. Once when I was in Austria, the store clerk even made an off-hand comment to my mother and me saying that everyone time one of those Muslims puts on her merchandise she has to bring it home and throw it in the wash.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
More than likely the store has had a higher incident of theft from Blacks. Black people are responsible for the stereotypes about them because more often than not they are true. We see violent crime after violent crime and Blacks killing each other over absolutely nothing and it's the fault of the White man for having certain preconceived notions about Black people which they themselves create?
So, according to your 'theory', I'm guessing that this post proves that ALL White people are bigots

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I don't doubt that blacks and other minorities get extra attention from some security personel (along with large groups of white teenagers or other whites that "don't look right" to them for whatever reason). My question is about the original post, the PA announcement. I've shopped at stores from Walmart to higher-end department stores in lily-white neighborhoods, diverse neighborhoods and majority black neighborhoods and never heard such an announcement. What kind of stores, neighborhoods, or parts of the country are people hearing these announcements in?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I've never been in a store where that happened either, but may I say that is a great idea! Everyone knows that all blacks are criminals.

As Moritimer Duke said to his brother in the movie "Trading Places" about Eddie Murphy's character: "He has probably been stealing since he learned to crawl.".

Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I was in the LV store on Rodeo Drive in April. Both my friend and I are white women in our forties.My friend purchased a bag for over $1700 and the security guard never took his eyes off us. So it happens to everybody!Maybe it that area white women in their forties fit the profile!!

Is she hot? There are more than one reason for a MAN to stare at a WOMAN. My wife works for Dior. They watch everyone. It is called paying attention to the customers and doing your job.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Is she hot? There are more than one reason for a MAN to stare at a WOMAN. My wife works for Dior. They watch everyone. It is called paying attention to the customers and doing your job.
I've covered and explained all this in previous posts...

Point is...had their been a woman of color in the mix...more than likely, do to testimonies and real life experiences, the woman of color would have tooken precident over all others, as far as being watched...

Like an order of who to be suspicious of most...

If there's no black folks in the small store, and only white folks, then the reasons for being watched will be other than color...

But had a black woman walked in the store, more than likely she would of become the focus of the security guard. A pecking order type of thing...

Let's stop pretending that suddenly, black folks in America, are percieved like Asians...innocent, docile, and nice...

That would be nice...but unfortunatly not the case with most...

Instead when a person of color walks into a store, particularly dark skinned Afro-American male, heart rates increase, people suddenly get hyper tension, their blood begins to boil, and they find themselves becoming very hostile...

Their personalities transform, like the incredible hulk...

Store owners, and security, and cops, turn into the Incredible Hulk, on the inside, when a black person steps inside their store...

They get nervious and very defensive...cause deep down inside their scared...

Their bodies can't transform like the hulk, but their personalities can and do...

note* This reaction can be seen in other 'black' folks as well, whether black security guards, cashiers, or the general public...

So this isn't just an iditement of 'white' behavior, but rather human behavior, and how easy it is to condition people based A,B,C...

Last edited by Time and Space; 06-01-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Oh......I have heard load speakers alot. They usually say some code that the average person does not know what it means. I have heard it many times in my youth....but not much in my adult life.

In truth.....I have had bad experiences with racial profilling in my life. I generally do not talk about those experiences on forums because I try not to base my opinion of this nation on my personal experiences because I have no clue if other blacks have experienced what I have. There was a lot of racism in Michigan when I was growing up and both blacks and whites were scared to go into the others neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Default Other

I'm Black and when I'm out shopping, I don't feel like I'm being watched. But it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to other Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies