Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

From a business perspective, it's really about the Law of Averages, not covert racism. If the majority of my shoplifters are black, then naturally i'll be more suspect when a black person walks in. No need to candy-coat it. It is what it is.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Anyone remember Raleigh's? Snobby store that went bankrupt.

My friend and I walked in wearing gym shorts and carrying a frisbee. Met at the door by the manager who said, "Hi fellas. Can I help you with something, like the way out?" Tossed us out on the spot.

A couple of years later, I returned solo and wearing a suit. I was followed by three store detectives.

Btw- I am white.

No wonder Raleigh's went under.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
They can't do nothing to you unless you actually take something.

I wouldn't worry about it. Let them look. If it makes them feel better , give them a show.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'm not black but I've observed the "shopping while black" treatment on outings with black friends.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
From a business perspective, it's really about the Law of Averages, not covert racism. If the majority of my shoplifters are black, then naturally i'll be more suspect when a black person walks in. No need to candy-coat it. It is what it is.
Well, I will use the law of money in that case. Why should I shop at an establishment if at this establishment I will be suspected more, despite being a regular person like everyone else? Why should I?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I will use the law of money in that case. Why should I shop at an establishment if at this establishment I will be suspected more, despite being a regular person like everyone else? Why should I?
Then don't! Why are you complaining about a choice?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Then don't! Why are you complaining about a choice?
My perspective comes from the fact that this kind of battle was fought in the 1960s. Boycotts were used back in those days to let the store owners know "hey, I'm not taking any more of your treating us like suspects or like trash" and the store owners had to listen because if they didn't, they lost money. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work today. Just because I don't shop there doesn't mean someone else won't. My perspective is that if you going to treat me like a criminal without knowing me, then you don't deserve my money, and I've stopped shopping at certain places because of this. Unfortunately, the message doesn't get across because my money is just a drop in the bucket. Even further, sometimes in the world of retail, there are not any alternatives. Where I live, there is a Barnes and Noble. I get treated nicely there. I'm not treated like a criminal. If they changed and started following me in the store, I could leave. However, thanks to the departure of Borders, there are no other bookstores where I live, and I don't have a car, so that's a problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
You walk into the store...and within 1-5 minutes here it comes...

'Your being watched and monitored...all suspicious activity on your part is being recorded...if you try anything 'scum bag'...you'll be arrested so fast that you won't have time to blink'...by the way...this is a recording'...

Lately, or even in the past...it seems shopping while black, is a threat to ones own mental sanity...

This post only applies to those who never steal, never intend on stealing, and who only want to enjoy their shopping experience and be appreciated as a custimor rather than a suspect...

And if your a black male, it's even worse...notice how always, within minutes of entering the store, here come the automated security speals??

And the sad thing is, is it don't matter if your pants are hanging down your butt, or if your dressed in a 3 piece suit...those in charge of such things, security, just seem to loose all control of rational thought, when a male of color walks into the store...they just think they know your intentions from the get go...and those intentions are to 'steal' something...

How do you deal with it? and How does it make you feel?

Do you ever call back to the store manager and express your outrage?
Or do you just absorb it?
Troll alert

Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
So now we're down to what shade of white someone is

Is this constant race card issue getting ludicrous or what?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Troll alert
I don't think it's a troll post. I understand these feelings because I have experienced some of this myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies