Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Yet you have no problem that the laws were changed to protect the predators that in many cases were introduced into the regions by government.
Yet, what? Where did I write anything about this? It's true that man has overkilled many animal populations. That is a crime. It only makes sense to replace what was lost provided that another natural imbalance isn't created. The reintroduction of species is not a crime, it's the right thing to do. One can cry all day about how bad wolves are for ranchers. Why is that my concern? Nature cannot be bargained with and its balance should not be upset just to conduct business. If I'm forced to choose between nature and a dollar bill, guess which one always wins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 01:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Yet, what? Where did I write anything about this? It's true that man has overkilled many animal populations. That is a crime. It only makes sense to replace what was lost provided that another natural imbalance isn't created. The reintroduction of species is not a crime, it's the right thing to do. One can cry all day about how bad wolves are for ranchers. Why is that my concern? Nature cannot be bargained with and its balance should not be upset just to conduct business. If I'm forced to choose between nature and a dollar bill, guess which one always wins?
The balance was upset when government opted to introduce a species into areas where they were often as not never even native to begin with.

In many cases these predation problems were brought on by government meddling. If the problems the ranchers are facing as a result of that meddling are not your concern why should the solutions the ranchers employ to deal with the problems concern you?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Do your research, jonaos. Let us know when you find out how many ranchers have reported wolf kills and actually received any money from that fund.

I think all of you naive wolf lovers should plan a camping trip and spend some time out there with them. No guns necessary.
Wolves are generally very timid around humans... Attack on humans are very, very rare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yeah with the bears, coyotes, cougars. It could be a fun night. Like those who have been taken from their tents still in their sleeping bags by bears. Or attacked on their bikes (peddle) on a trail by a cougar. When animals hunt man or near man there is a problem the food is to easy to get and they have no desire to hunt the wild game any longer.
Which is why you have to have a healthy respect for wildlife when hiking or camping in areas with wildlife. I've camped and hiked in areas with bears and cougars my whole life---in the back-country you just learn to store food properly, be wary of any encounters, and so on. As far as coyotes-those are near every urban area in America at this point. I've seen them in my urban neighborhood just outside downtown Portland. Likewise, my cousin has a farm just outside the metro area--and yeah, if she doesn't keep her animals locked up at night there's a chance that she'll lose a pet or chicken to foxes or coyotes. It's part of the realization of living close to nature that this is the reality. I'm sure they realize this way out in the mountains of Southwestern Montana as well...

Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
That has already happened. The best man can do is use good conservation practices at this point. Responsible re-introduction of species includes keeping those populations in check, especially when predators at the top of the food chain are involved. The protection of the lives of humans and valuable livestock should come first when these predators become so bold as to hunt/kill livestock or pets within yards of a house. Large predators view children no differently than they do the aforementioned animals.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Why should the public care about someone's horses? Nature is running its course. Are we now supposed to change the laws to protect people who own livestock? If so then there should be protection for those who buy houses that drop in value. Owning livestock is as much a risk as buying a house. Same concept. The person should stop complaining and buy insurance or something. If a tornado gets your house, you get paid by the insurance company. If a wolf gets your horse, is not the same thing possible? Realize though, that nature always wins in the end and no law can change that.
News flash....predators kiling stock are fair game. That IS the law. Matter of fact, I tend to tip yotes over before they get notional bout my stock. Same with feral dogs. Yep, nature takes it's course, and we are at the top of the chain. If we had wolves here I'd do the same as with coyotes. A well placed .243 and a body or two hung on the wire is about all the 'insurance' one can buy for livestock. Works fer me anyway, and I don't have to deal with scumbag lawyers and ignorant city dwelling bean counters that way.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
you never had grilled wolf before?? revenge can be tasty, but make sure you cook it thorough..

Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Yeah with the bears, coyotes, cougars. It could be a fun night. Like those who have been taken from their tents still in their sleeping bags by bears. Or attacked on their bikes (peddle) on a trail by a cougar. When animals hunt man or near man there is a problem the food is to easy to get and they have no desire to hunt the wild game any longer.
I've been backpacking into such areas my whole life. Never had problem with the wildlife.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Why not release these wolves in the Washington DC area?

Obama is trying to open the borders and invite millions more people in with his promises of quick easy amnesty, the democrats want millions of new voters and keep them them breeding with welfare programs, so there will be no room for wildlife. That is just a sad fact. The liberals are trying their best to destroy the environment, cheap labor is all that matters. All the people they bring in have to have somewhere to live.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That has already happened. The best man can do is use good conservation practices at this point. Responsible re-introduction of species includes keeping those populations in check, especially when predators at the top of the food chain are involved. The protection of the lives of humans and valuable livestock should come first when these predators become so bold as to hunt/kill livestock or pets within yards of a house. Large predators view children no differently than they do the aforementioned animals.
Yes - and the population of Americans was stable, what's creating the extremely high population increases is the uncontrolled immigration rates. Liberals are the ones promoting that.

We need another Teddy Roosevelt kind of president.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
mmmm. "Resposible reintroduction of species". . Numerous attempts to do thus have proven to be quite the opposite. WV recently decided that their population of deer and turkeys was such that hunting alone was not keeping them in check. soooooo, some 'educated' twidget dedided an effective predator was needed. Well, I'll give em' credit for picking an effective predator....coyotes. Needless to say , now they have another problem. Now, whoda thunk. Does it take a fancy education to be this stupid? As you say MOgal, predators view anything vulnerable as fair game, the attempt at a ban on lion hunting in CA was as proof as one needs to see the folly of mans 'intelligence'. Any old weather beaten puncher who's been on the range a year or two has my vote against some 'educated' biologist as to how to best deal with a 'wildlife co-existence' issue. Solutions from the former source may not be the warm and fuzzy method expounded by city dwelling bunny huggers, but, they have the virtue of being practical and effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies