Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to Pay Higher Tolls or Higher Taxes to make are infrastructure safe
Yes, Toll Me and Tax Me 2 6.25%
No, Taxes we pay now are enough 11 34.38%
Stop sending billions to foreign countries and spend it here 19 59.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times

Advertisements

Stop wasting hundreds of billions on a useless war in the desert.

More butter, less guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Government public education monopoly? Do you live somewhere that outlaws private schools? Or is it just somewhere with so little resources that a private school wouldn't even bother coming in?

Um.... no there wouldn't. There'd be even LESS people who can't read. Don't believe me? What was the literacy rate in America back in the 1700s and 1800s again? Hmmmm......
As far as I know private schools aren’t paid for by the taxpayer, the student’s parents pay for it.

When the taxpayers finally demand the breakup of the “government education monopoly” and goes to a vouchers system to use for choosing where their children are educated the public schools will have to compete with private schools for the students. Once the public education system is forced to compete for the tax money instead of wasting it they may start to educate instead of stamping indoctrinated “zippys”.

Comparing the 1700 and 1800’s literacy rate to today further ratifies my “zippy” claim. However if you compare an 8th grade education in the 1700s to 1800s to today’s high school and some college graduates you may find today’s students are the illiterate ones. Hmmmmmmmmm...............................

Old 08-05-2007, 11:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
As far as I know private schools aren’t paid for by the taxpayer, the student’s parents pay for it.
Right. So there exists an alternative in the market to the government option. Ergo, no "education monopoly." Just like if you don't want to take government roads because they're full of traffic, you can take a private jet somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
When the taxpayers finally demand the breakup of the “government education monopoly”
See above.

Quote:
and goes to a vouchers system to use for choosing where their children are educated the public schools will have to compete with private schools for the students. Once the public education system is forced to compete for the tax money instead of wasting it they may start to educate instead of stamping indoctrinated “zippys”.

Wrong. The performance of a school often has very little to do with the quality of the "school" itself, or its teachers. Often even less to do with how much money a school gets. Education starts at HOME. Those schools in districts that have families that value education do better.

People who send their kids to private schools value education. Their kids would do well no matter if they went to public or private school. However, the culture of a private school means that all these kids, which the schools can selectively choose in and out, (unlike a public school, which is forced to take everyone) come from strong education-valuing backgrounds which then in turn leads to better scores and curriculum.

Quote:
Comparing the 1700 and 1800’s literacy rate to today further ratifies my “zippy” claim. However if you compare an 8th grade education in the 1700s to 1800s to today’s high school and some college graduates you may find today’s students are the illiterate ones. Hmmmmmmmmm...............................
Um, no it doesn't. Literacy rates were atrocious back in the 1700s and 1800s. Those who could afford to send their kids to school DID get good educations, and came from wealthy families that valued education. Their educations would of course be superior to the basic education guaranteed by the government today.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
The fruits of "small" government: broken steam pipes, collapsed bridges, and fatalities; a government that cannot take care of the people.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Obviously, you don't understand what was originally stated. There was nothing mentioned about Toll roads, or toll bridges. What was stated is that the person said "Tax me so I can make sure the bridges are safe". The person didn't realize that their tax dollars were already supposed to be spent in that manner. I suggest you go back and re-read the original post.
Well. I did as suggested. I re-read the thread. It says,

"Would you be willing to Pay Higher Tolls or Higher Taxes to make are infrastructure safe"

So sir, I suggest you go back and re-read it before you chastise somebody else.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Well. I did as suggested. I re-read the thread. It says,

"Would you be willing to Pay Higher Tolls or Higher Taxes to make are infrastructure safe"

So sir, I suggest you go back and re-read it before you chastise somebody else.
Must be difficult to be one of the few who actually has reading comprehension and an attention span...

Old 08-05-2007, 01:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Must be difficult to be one of the few who actually has reading comprehension and an attention span...
Yeah, it's a tough job.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:29 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,807 times
I oppose tolls and favor taxes. A gas tax is fair and efficient. It already exists and it costs very little to collect that money. Tolls are inherently unfair (some roads you pay, some you don't, how is that fair?), and they require additional infrastructure, maintenance, money, oversight and bureaucracy.

Tax gas. A lot. It would solve many problems all at once.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, I absolutely would, but...I have seen this before, money allocated for road and bridge repair, and it never went to that...so I want to make darn sure, that those taxes are allocated for that and stay that way, even after new people are voted in....

In PA, during the last supposidly gas shortage, they imposed a tax on gas, which was supposed to be for road and bridge repair...so where did it go
PA has the worst roads and bridges in the country.

Amen! The local media here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area has been shamelessly capitalizing upon the tragedy in Minneapolis to force an inquest into our commonwealth's own plethora of bridges that have been deemed "structurally deficient." Tractor-trailer drivers consistently rank Pennsylvania's roadways as being the worst in the nation, and our elected officials have the nerve to use "weather" as an excuse? Pennsylvanians are much more intelligent creatures than what our representatives in Congress give us credit for---we realize that roadways are better kept in Upstate NY, where winters are decidedly much more severe. While I routinely have to visit my mechanic for front-end alignments I wonder if I should start sending my bill to Harrisburg?

The local media recently reported that 1 out of every 4 bridges in PA is "structurally deficient," which is the same category as the I-35 W bridge. That tragedy has shaken up some people around here so much that they are now trying to avoid crossing our state's bridges whenever possible. Considering PennDOT's response to our concerns thus far has been more or less "Oh well! We don't have the funding to make necessary repairs," I'm also now holding my breath while passing over our local bridges. I-81 in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro has a vast number of bridges that have patchworked surfaces and rusting supports. Considering this artery carries over 80,000 vehicles per day through our region, I'm worried we'll be seeing a repeat of the Minneapolis tragedy here as well in the next few years.

I find it appalling that our state's residents are overtaxed, yet whenever an issue arises that needs immediate emergency funding, we're told "there's no money available." PA is NOT an impoverished state---just look at all of the Lexuses and McMansions that adorn our suburbs. As such, why is it so difficult to be fiscally-responsible in Harrisburg?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post

When the taxpayers finally demand the breakup of the “government education monopoly” and goes to a vouchers system to use for choosing where their children are educated the public schools will have to compete with private schools for the students. Once the public education system is forced to compete for the tax money instead of wasting it they may start to educate instead of stamping indoctrinated “zippys”.

Wow your so smart!! Talking about privatizing education in a thread discussing Americas transportation infrastructure.....nice..genius........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies