Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Telling hilgi to leave America? What an overreaction deluxe!
I live in Utah, how far out does she want me to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 PM

315 posts, read 366,721 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. The new fad is to pop up in a group and begin dancing in public...there are YouTube videos, and it seems to be done in fun, nobody is harmed. (There's a word for it, but I'm too old to remember what it is..lol.) At any rate, these few young people decided to protest the law (or regulation) and, as you saw, were treated as though they were commiting some horrible crime. It's ludicrous, and even more so that we have become so bloody uptight that people actually defend such nonsense. Telling hilgi to leave America? What an overreaction deluxe!

Found it..."flashmob" is the word.

YouTube - ‪The T-Mobile Dance‬‏
I frankly skipped over 90% of this tread because it looked like crazyness on all sides. Then again, it's pretty crazy that we're arresting people for dancing where they aren't causing harm to anyone.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
To me it seems like a silly law and quite an overreaction to breaking it. I was wondering if there was more background about this 'no dancing' business that warranted such a response.

I mean, I can break the law by driving 20 mph over the speed limit on the freeway. If I'm caught I get pulled over and get a ticket. That's an action that puts me and other drivers in danger. But people dancing around the Jefferson Memorial somehow warrants the use of force and handcuffs?

They broke the law, and when you do that you need to be prepared to face that law. But...geez.
You are now considered a suspected terrorist if you make numerous references to the constitution, so people who are supporting that document are obviously evil.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Did they break the law? We can't let people decide which laws they will chose to abide by.
America has the highest incarceration rate of any developed nation, by far, and countless laws regulating and criminalizing thousands of behaviors that are victimless and not worthy of government intervention. Our government has gone mad with overregulation and micro-regulation. It's not just a waste of money, it's counter-productive to be throwing drug addicts in jail and consequently sending murderers and sexual predators out on early parole because we have so many prisoners we can't house them all.

This article is worth reading: "Too many laws, too many prisoners: Never in the civilised world have so many been locked up for so little." Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
"As a proportion of its total population, America incarcerates five times more people than Britain, nine times more than Germany and 12 times more than Japan." In Massachusetts, possession of 1/2 an ounce of some painkillers incurs a minimum 3-year sentence, and 200 grams will result in the same sentence as for armed forcible rape (15 years). This is absolutely ludicrous.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I live in Utah, how far out does she want me to go?

LOL! Apparently it couldn't be far enough! Me, I love it that you're here and free...you can criticize anything you want. It's a stupid regulation, and why anyone would choose to defend it beats me. It makes me think of Easy Rider, when Nicholson's character tells Fonda and Hopper re rednecks: "You're free, and that scares people. And when you scare people, they're dangerous." (That's close to accurate.) Let's agree to stay free, and not repeat cliches like robots, or be afraid to do a little dance to celebrate the good times in life!

Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
America has the highest incarceration rate of any developed nation, by far, and countless laws regulating and criminalizing thousands of behaviors that are victimless and not worthy of government intervention. Our government has gone mad with overregulation and micro-regulation. It's not just a waste of money, it's counter-productive to be throwing drug addicts in jail and consequently sending murderers and sexual predators out on early parole because we have so many prisoners we can't house them all.

This article is worth reading: "Too many laws, too many prisoners: Never in the civilised world have so many been locked up for so little." Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
"As a proportion of its total population, America incarcerates five times more people than Britain, nine times more than Germany and 12 times more than Japan." In Massachusetts, possession of 1/2 an ounce of some painkillers incurs a minimum 3-year sentence, and 200 grams will result in the same sentence as for armed forcible rape (15 years). This is absolutely ludicrous.

What an excellent post! The statistics are obscene in terms of drug convictions, particularly for minorities. They are far out of proportion when it comes to the use by whites vs the incarceration for minorities. But it's a money-maker, just like the military-industrial complex. Judges have been complaining about the "Three Strikes" law for years; violent criminals are let out to make room for poor kids with few job opportunities who turn to the easy money of selling drugs. Insanity.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
LOL! Apparently it couldn't be far enough! Me, I love it that you're here and free...you can criticize anything you want. It's a stupid regulation, and why anyone would choose to defend it beats me. It makes me think of Easy Rider, when Nicholson's character tells Fonda and Hopper re rednecks: "You're free, and that scares people. And when you scare people, they're dangerous." (That's close to accurate.) Let's agree to stay free, and not repeat cliches like robots, or be afraid to do a little dance to celebrate the good times in life!
Thanks! It is sad when a normal family guy from Utah is called acriminal anarchist for supporting the constitution.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Thanks! It is sad when a normal family guy from Utah is called acriminal anarchist for supporting the constitution.
I could not agree more. I keep getting e-mails from a friend about how the Christians are going to "take back America and Canada." From whom?? President Obama won by a healthy margin, so I have to wonder what makes them think that America belongs to them in particular. Free speech drives people batty, because they can't shut you up...especially on the 'net...they can't out-yell you, which is the usual strategy in real life. Never knew that you were such a wild-eyed anarchist for defending the First Amendment, did you? Ye gods...it's the first one...they can't remember just one??

Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Here's another video, it shows it from the beginning.

I wish they had been quietly reciting the First Amendment while dancing.

YouTube - ‪Adam Kokesh body slammed, choked, police brutality at Jefferson Memorial‬‏

News footage.

http://youtu.be/6UyiaR1PDhQ

Last edited by hilgi; 05-29-2011 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-29-2011, 03:50 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
People arrested for dancing...at the Jefferson Memorial. Should I laugh or cry? People arrested for harming no one, dancing, at the memorial to a person who went so far as to advocate periodic revolutions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies