U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,201,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
I can bet you that if you took a survey of rich, suburban, soccer moms who took their families to church a few times a year and then just completely ignored religion until the next time they went to church, and asked them if they felt that they lived a Christian life, almost all of them would say no. Christianity is not just about calling yourself one, it is about enriching your life through it, and using religion to get through rough times, and becoming more enlightened.

So true. I find that many non-Christians like to bash us real Christians as being hateful and quick to point out things. They are not even Christians so what do they know!

And as to what someone said about "Christianity is stupid in believing in a 'fairytale' world", what do you believe in? It is not about believing in a fairytale world, but believing that there is something higher (and lower...) than yourself, and to try to do what is better to make you a better person. Do you honestly think that we have no souls and that when we die it's just like 'poof' and were gone from eternity? I believe that our souls DO get judged and we will either go to the higher place (Heaven) or the lower place (Hell). It is all about believing in something greater than yourself.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If you believe you have not sinned, then you are crazy since every human on the planet sins. You have no right to judge others based on your version of Christianity. Do you eat pork or shellfish? Those are popular foods in Mississippi. If you do, then you have adopted the popular belief that Jesus cleansed those meats and made them okay to eat for everyone... even though it doesn't specifically state that in the new testament. Therefore, you've successfully joined a group which has twisted a part of the Bible to fit your own agenda. Don't worry though, everybody does it. It's happened ever since the Council of Nicea decided which books would go into the Bible and which ones wouldn't. Who gave man that kind of authority?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,674,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
A lot of conservative Christians feel the need to push their views and way of life onto others. When people push back, they feel like they're being threatened.
I agree, not unlike the liberals who believe that we should do things their way no matter what, even when their way has been proven to be wrong.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm not a non-believer MM. I'm a Messianic Jew. I just think Conservative/Fundamentalist Christianity is destroying the message of Christ and making no one want anything to do with it.
This.

If anything is driving away people from Christianity, it isn't "liberal anti-Christian Hollywood"... it's the conservative Christians and Christian extremists themselves. No one wants to be associated with the constant hatred of others who are different that is espoused by these groups and disguised as proper religious duty to Jesus and God.

Sadly, they don't... and never will understand that.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If you believe you have not sinned, then you are crazy since every human on the planet sins. You have no right to judge others based on your version of Christianity. Do you eat pork or shellfish? Those are popular foods in Mississippi. If you do, then you have adopted the popular belief that Jesus cleansed those meats and made them okay to eat for everyone... even though it doesn't specifically state that in the new testament. Therefore, you've successfully joined a group which has twisted a part of the Bible to fit your own agenda. Don't worry though, everybody does it. It's happened ever since the Council of Nicea decided which books would go into the Bible and which ones wouldn't. Who gave man that kind of authority?
Well, since we are discussing what Jesus did or did not do in the New Testament...the Sabbath is not Sunday, but is Saturday and Jesus went by that rule and the 4th Commandment. The Sunday sabbath came about because of the Catholic papacy changing it and, of course, the majority follow it like it is the rule. It is not and every time they worship on the Sabbath, or work on the true Sabbath or anything else the Bible tells us not to do on the Sabbath, they are continuing to break the 4th Commandment. Jesus did say that if you break, or go against, one Commandment then you have broken all of them.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I agree, not unlike the liberals who believe that we should do things their way no matter what, even when their way has been proven to be wrong.
I'd like to see that proof considering many more liberal countries than us have much higher quality of life ratings.

Anyways, the difference is that most liberals including myself don't honestly care that you are Christian. You can go on and believe whatever you want to and live your life however you choose it. That's how we govern.... create a flat surface so that all can do whatever they want whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, or whatever

Many conservative Christians, on the other hand, feel threatened by this sort of lifestyle and are determined to force liberals to conform to their beliefs in various ways. They don't want gays, for example, to be able to live their lives how they want to... instead, they want them pushed out, hidden, or forced to convert to heterosexuality. Usually the guise of "temptation" is used as an excuse... which is sad considering even if conservative Christians did gain the power necessary to make the changes they wanted, it would just push everything else underground and include some of the in-power conservative Christians doing things they aren't supposed to be doing.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,345,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've had some strange conversations with a handful of people claiming and protesting that conservative Christians are "the minority"?

Is there anywhere in the USA that you can escape Christianity or conservatism and be mostly with atheists and socially liberal or independents the majority of the time?

I think of practicing Jews as a real minority because they make up 1% of the population. But the fact that Christians make up over 80% of the USA and their doctrine is relatively authoritarian and strict tells me I'm being lied to by a bunch of con-artists.
not yet but the boomers will be dropping like flies here real soon. the question is will they just be replaced by hispanics as they are being right now.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'd like to see that proof considering many more liberal countries than us have much higher quality of life ratings.

Anyways, the difference is that most liberals including myself don't honestly care that you are Christian. You can go on and believe whatever you want to and live your life however you choose it. That's how we govern.... create a flat surface so that all can do whatever they want whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, or whatever

Many conservative Christians, on the other hand, feel threatened by this sort of lifestyle and are determined to force liberals to conform to their beliefs in various ways. They don't want gays, for example, to be able to live their lives how they want to... instead, they want them pushed out, hidden, or forced to convert to heterosexuality. Usually the guise of "temptation" is used as an excuse... which is sad considering even if conservative Christians did gain the power necessary to make the changes they wanted, it would just push everything else underground and include some of the in-power conservative Christians doing things they aren't supposed to be doing.
All of those liberal European countries are almost in bankruptcy so don't go telling me how well they have done. They have not and even they are rejecting that system because of the consequences they have seen.

YES, you most certainly do care who is Christian or who isn't or this thread would not have been started.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Well, since we are discussing what Jesus did or did not do in the New Testament...the Sabbath is not Sunday, but is Saturday and Jesus went by that rule and the 4th Commandment. The Sunday sabbath came about because of the Catholic papacy changing it and, of course, the majority follow it like it is the rule. It is not and every time they worship on the Sabbath, or work on the true Sabbath or anything else the Bible tells us not to do on the Sabbath, they are continuing to break the 4th Commandment. Jesus did say that if you break, or go against, one Commandment then you have broken all of them.
Yup. But that isn't the only commandment. Everyone lies at least once in their life... and therefore everyone has broken a commandment.

Christianity today is not the same as Jesus' teachings. It's been twisted, beaten, and mingled so badly over the course of 2000 years that it is, in fact, hardly recognizable.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yup. But that isn't the only commandment. Everyone lies at least once in their life... and therefore everyone has broken a commandment.

Christianity today is not the same as Jesus' teachings. It's been twisted, beaten, and mingled so badly over the course of 2000 years that it is, in fact, hardly recognizable.
You are absolutely correct and that is why we are Sabbath Keepers and we work on being as Christian as we can. It is not an easy task, but takes continual work. It is not expected for a Christian to be perfect but to always work on bettering theirselves and to try to live by the Commandments as best as they can. What really counts is what is one's heart and nobody knows that except God.

There are far too many supposed Christians who honestly think they will get past the gate by their works and that is after Jesus, himself, said that one would not get into heaven by just the works one does.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
All of those liberal European countries are almost in bankruptcy so don't go telling me how well they have done. They have not and even they are rejecting that system because of the consequences they have seen.

YES, you most certainly do care who is Christian or who isn't or this thread would not have been started.
Really? Germany, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France seem to be doing quite fine... among others. In fact, the ones doing the worst are the ones with higher rates of religious attitudes... Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland... all of these have higher religious participation than the other European countries.

But yet, then again, that's another problem with this country's conservative Christians... tying religious attitudes to financial success. Did not Jesus say that the odds of a rich person getting into heaven was equal to that of a camel fitting through the eye of a needle? Conservative Christians in this country have forgotten what it means to live humbly and it has bleeded into all sectors of society. It's one reason why we are in so much debt in this country.

With respect to that last sentence, I honestly don't care who is Christian or not.. and I'm not the one who started this thread, so why bring that up? The point is that when conservative Christians cross a line and start to antagonize others, it has to be addressed. People like me are not going to pretend you are Buddhist or something silly like that, because it is obvious what you are trying to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies