Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,863,519 times

Advertisements

I've had some strange conversations with a handful of people claiming and protesting that conservative Christians are "the minority"?

Is there anywhere in the USA that you can escape Christianity or conservatism and be mostly with atheists and socially liberal or independents the majority of the time?

I think of practicing Jews as a real minority because they make up 1% of the population. But the fact that Christians make up over 80% of the USA and their doctrine is relatively authoritarian and strict tells me I'm being lied to by a bunch of con-artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:09 PM

119 posts, read 361,739 times
Conservative Christians are not the majority everywhere. Where I am from (Mississippi and the South) we the majority for sure. But in areas like the DC area, LA, NYC, and other big cities, there are definitely areas with different religions, or people who just don't care. While many call themselves Christians, often times in the bigger city areas, they do not go to church or practice religion, they just call themselves Christians.

So to answer your question... yes there are places in the USA where we feel like the minority!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,587,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've had some strange conversations with a handful of people claiming and protesting that conservative Christians are "the minority"?

Is there anywhere in the USA that you can escape Christianity or conservatism and be mostly with atheists and socially liberal or independents the majority of the time?

I think of practicing Jews as a real minority because they make up 1% of the population. But the fact that Christians make up over 80% of the USA and their doctrine is relatively authoritarian and strict tells me I'm being lied to by a bunch of con-artists.
If you are talking about what my church calls part time Christians, then no Christians are not a minority. If you are talking about true Christians, the ones who practice Christian believes 24/7 not just for a couple of hours on Sunday, then yes.

BTW, my reply isn't so much against society as it is against what I jokingly call Sunday holy rollers. You know the ones, they are all like "amen! preach it!" at church then "$%^! and @##^*(%" as soon as they get back into their cars, like Jesus only pays attention to what happens under the church roof or something. It makes me mad and it makes me sad.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
BTW, my reply isn't so much against society as it is against what I jokingly call Sunday holy rollers.(
LOL so true that is funny. Not so much as to where I am from, but when I travel and meet others who call themselves "Christians" do not even know some of the most basic bible stories, or what there denomination (mine is Southern Baptist) if all about...

Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,495,596 times
I find it strinkingly funny that christians will quickly call other christians, "not real christians" because they don't worship just like them. The fact is, there is no real christianity, it's all made up so nobody knows or owns whatever is it that's "real"..With that said, people that consider themselves conservative christians aren't the minority in many places in America even in big cities. It's beginning to erode rapidly with the growth of the internet as people have easier access to better understanding how the natural world and the universe works. But today, across America, they remain the majority.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I find it strinkingly funny that christians will quickly call other christians, "not real christians" because they don't worship just like them. The fact is, there is no real christianity, it's all made up so nobody knows or owns whatever is it that's "real"..With that said, people that consider themselves conservative christians aren't the minority in many places in America even in big cities. It's beginning to erode rapidly with the growth of the internet as people have easier access to better understanding how the natural world and the universe works. But today, across America, they remain the majority.
Well you are not a real Christian if you just show up to Church a few Sunday's and do not even know the basic principles of Christianity... and yes we are the majority in many places, but not everywhere!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
Well you are not a real Christian if you just show up to Church a few Sunday's and do not even know the basic principles of Christianity... and yes we are the majority in many places, but not everywhere!
Who are you to say that? Did jesus select you to be the christianity police? The vast majority of christians have no idea what's in the bible and practically all would disagree on what the "principles of christianity". I think a "real christian" is a christian that calls other christians "not real christians" which is basically all of them. I'm sure Fred Phelps and the rapture guy would call you a "not real christian". They aren't the majority where exactly? Only in very small immigrant populated areas. That's it.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Who are you to say that? Did jesus select you to be the christianity police? The vast majority of christians have no idea what's in the bible and practically all would disagree on what the "principles of christianity". I think a "real christian" is a christian that calls other christians "not real christians" which is basically all of them. I'm sure Fred Phelps and the rapture guy would call you a "not real christian". They aren't the majority where exactly? Only in very small immigrant populated areas. That's it.
You cannot be a real Christian if you do not follow the bible and have religion as a part of your life. You are not a Christian if you go to church a few times a year and then do not follow religon any other times. Who are you to tell other Christians what you know about Christianity if you are not a Christian?

And we are not the majority in many areas. Liberal-atheist areas, many suburbs of big cities, Jewish areas, immigrant populated areas, and areas where there are these "Sunday holy rollers" lol.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,863,519 times
Thank you for that great input.

Quote:

Old 05-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
You cannot be a real Christian if you do not follow the bible and have religion as a part of your life. You are not a Christian if you go to church a few times a year and then do not follow religon any other times. Who are you to tell other Christians what you know about Christianity if you are not a Christian?

And we are not the majority in many areas. Liberal-atheist areas, many suburbs of big cities, Jewish areas, immigrant populated areas, and areas where there are these "Sunday holy rollers" lol.
So, Westboro Baptist are the only real christians then. I know what christians tell me about christianity and versions differ literally person to person. I don't have to be christian to have ears. Like I said, only in very small, immigrant populated areas are they not the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies