Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times

Advertisements

Gay issues are "bologna"? Nice tone this thread has already taken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 06:07 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizi Girl View Post
No. Gays need to STOP comparing themselves to black people. There are no similarities. Some gays like to be called that, and that is how they act.

Seriously, if I were black I would consider these comparisons to be both degrading and insulting.
Why would you think black people would consider being compared to gay people degrading and insulting? Do you also think gays would be insulted by the comparison?

I see a lot of similarities between blacks and gays:

- Both groups members of a minority class, by circumstances they can't control (anyone who doubts this has never been close to a gay person)

- Both groups social outcasts in western culture for huge period of their history

- Both victims of segregation, discrimination and violence for being "different"

- Both groups fighting a long, hard, and sometimes bloody battle for full human and civil rights- the blacks making great progress in the past 60 years, gays in the last 20.

So I don't get where you are coming from with that remark. Can you help me understand?

Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Why would you think black people would consider being compared to gay people degrading and insulting? Do you also think gays would be insulted by the comparison?

I see a lot of similarities between blacks and gays:

- Both groups members of a minority class, by circumstances they can't control (anyone who doubts this has never been close to a gay person)

- Both groups social outcasts in western culture for huge period of their history

- Both victims of segregation, discrimination and violence for being "different"

- Both groups fighting a long, hard, and sometimes bloody battle for full human and civil rights- the blacks making great progress in the past 60 years, gays in the last 20.

So I don't get where you are coming from with that remark. Can you help me understand?
Great..include the Muslims in your group then.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
No. Gays need to STOP comparing themselves to black people. There are no similarities. Some gays like to be called that, and that is how they act.

Seriously, if I were black I would consider these comparisons to be both degrading and insulting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
This.
..is crap.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I find it so childish when something like NPR uses a term like "the Fa-word." Just say "******" or "******" (well, C-D doesn't let me post those words, but you can guess).

e: i'm sorry but some black people need to drop the whole "nobody's had it as bad as us" attitude. yeah in the US gays have not been systematically mistreated like blacks, but that doesn't make their injustices any less real. and if you think it's an acceptable attitude to have, then surely you wouldn't be offended if a Jewish person claimed that blacks shouldn't complain because they didn't lose 6 million of their people over the course of 6 years.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
About 'getting away with it'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity)

About not being hanged on a tree, chained up on a boat etc

Matthew Shepard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of violence against LGBT people in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
words are words

Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
gays and blacks in one thread! how efficient
Yes now all the bigots can concentrate their venom in one place.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I don't think gays were brought in to be slaves, or forced to sit in different parts of the bus, nor were blacks (for the most part) able to be in the closet about their racial identity.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Quote:
Blacks do not force everyone to accept their lifestyle like the gays do. And it is the gay people doing the comparisons, not blacks. Have you ever heard a black or black politician even remotely compare themselves to gays? Do gays wish to be their own ethnic group?

Sure you do...
Guess Martin Luther King Jr. or his wife don't count? Charles Barkley speaks out on gay rights all the time. That's two and I can go on more.....

Quote:
A gay person could get away just fine if they did not mention their lifestyles to avoid this "mistreatment". Blacks however, due to their skin color, were openly discriminated against. It is not like gay people are carrying a big sign stating their sexual orientations.
Yep we should be good little gays and stay at home in the closet. We should just shut our little mouths so we don't upset the likes of you.

That's funny.....some of the gay folks I know you can tell that they are gay by just looking at them. Many have been beaten up by bigots because they look or "act" gay.....

Quote:
Segregation? I bet in every town and city there are gay people, even if it is just a smudge of the population. We all live and work together with gay people. How is this segregation?
Gays were never slaves, profiled by the police, hanged on a tree, had state laws that did not allow them to even LIVE in certain states, were chained up on a boat, attacked by dogs, etc.

Gays have rights, the blacks back then had very limited rights.

Gays were treated better than black people then. They have very few similarities, and comparing the two is beyond ridiculous.
Yeah the gays don't get fired from jobs for being gay or kicked out of their apartments for being gay I suppose you forget about all the gay people who have been mutilated and killed by anti gay bigots. Do you honestly think that gays haven't gone through any hardships throughout time? Do you really think that they wouldn't have been treated any different from black folks if they came out in before 1980?

You are really reaching for things. If you can't see any similarities I feel really sorry for you. Especially for what happened to your race and then to turn around and treat another segment of society like total ****? What a disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies