Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 PM

662 posts, read 1,276,175 times

Advertisements

Aside from the history of japanese cars being more reliable (at least until recently), or the previous obsession with SUVs, it has to do with branding and style. Detroit has made some of the ugliest cars known to man and no one knows why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,904,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowEyes View Post
Simple answer...US labor unions!
Simple is correct! Workers aren't responsible for bad marketing decisions or bad design. They do as they're told and assemble what's handed to them.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 05-30-2011 at 03:24 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,295,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
US Health insurance costs.
That's probably the single largest issue. None of the German, Japanese, or Korean automakers have to pay for health care for workers or, especially, retirees. Those costs are picked up by the state and they're much more affordable on a per person basis since the insurance pool is spread out over the entire population of the country. The wider the insurance pool, the lower the per person costs.

That said, the US has two of the top four automakers in the world (and a large third which is in the top 10) so we're still competing.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 AM

24,481 posts, read 33,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
American automobiles also tend to have mile-long lists of options and too many colors; if you've ever seen the base model of the Cruze next to a fully-loaded and substantially larger Hyundai Elantra, there's little doubt that, as recent reviews have pointed out, not only is having five different trim models for the Cruze indefensibly asinine and horrible for overhead, but it's horrendously overpriced, brisk sales notwithstanding.
How can an Elantra be "substantially larger" than a Chevy Cruze when it is, in fact, shorter in overall length?

Overall length (inches)

Chevy Cruze--------- 181.0
Hyundai Elantra------ 178.3

And "too many colors?" More like "not enough colors." About 40 years ago, there was a much wider choice of colors for American cars.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:17 AM

24,481 posts, read 33,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Aside from the history of japanese cars being more reliable (at least until recently), or the previous obsession with SUVs, it has to do with branding and style. Detroit has made some of the ugliest cars known to man and no one knows why.
Come on... tops in ugly are non-American cars. Ever take a good look at a Nissan Cube, a Honda Fit or a SmartForTwo?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:21 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,821,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I've always wanted to know this. Is it the profit motive?
I'm curious...What are the differences in salary between US and foreign employees? Benefits...etc?

I hear the dittoheads always blaming unions, but are foreign autoworkers not unionized, or not getting similar compensation to the US workers?

We seem to be in what could be a US auto renaissance with the "green" cars being built.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:26 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,817,291 times
A horribly uncompetitive health care system, and poor management culture, leading to bad decisions on models and quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I'm curious...What are the differences in salary between US and foreign employees? Benefits...etc?
Comparison between salaries and benefits

Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,544,163 times
The Taurus was the best-selling car for five straight years (1992-96), but the fact that over 60% of those sales were to rental car companies such as Hertz wound up destroying the car's resale value, something that no midsize Japanese sedan such as the Accord or Camry has ever endured, since the Japanese have never flooded rental car lots with their product lest they cheapen the brand, and still refuse to do so to this day, and especially Honda.

US automakers continue to be hamstrung by outsized UAW contracts compared to the competition, which is why none of the overwhelming majority of new car plants opened by foreign automakers in this country (save a Honda Civic plant in southeastern Indiana) over the past several years are in heavily unionized states, or within several hundred miles of Detroit.

I expect the contract negotiations later this year between the Detroit 3 and the UAW to be extremely nasty, and I wouldn't be suprised if the UAW strikes GM, given their multi-decade long practice of being insatiable when ravaging US automakers for unsustainable benefits.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,035,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

In most quality surveys American cars are consistently on par with foreign car manufacturers.

So in what way are American car manufacturers not competitive?
I think they lost a lot of their market share back in the 1980's when many foreign cars were introduced into the American market. American automobile manufacturers were getting lax with their quality.

I owned a 1983 Chevette and it was the worst car I ever had. Prior to that I owned one of the original Honda Civics and *never* had any trouble with it. Needless to say I traded the Chevy in on another Honda.

Subsequently, I gave American auto manufacturers another chance and was happy with my choice, but many other people who had the same type of experience 20 years ago never did. SO they are still driving Toyotas, and Hondas and other foreign makes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,430,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
That is correct, but some will blame unions for that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies