Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,132,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You can attempt to minimize the difference all you want. Asians in the USA make on average 20% than their white counterparts and Ashkenazi jews even more. A business model or system in the real World that is a mere 1% or 2% more effective than it's competitor over time will wipe the floor with them..
What are you talking about and what does that have to do with conservatives supposedly being dumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,536,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I just have one question for liberals. If you are all so smart who is that big Democrat voter bloc on long-time welfare, food stamps, housing subsidies and other handouts that you keep courting at election time? Are they your best and your brightest?
Wait till the federal government can't take care of their every need. These people are going to literally be like new babies just born. They won't have a clue how to survive.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,200,523 times
I just read the last two pages. Poorly worded and thought out arguments by social conservatives trying to dodge what was put forward in the study. I didn't see one smart retort. Coincidence?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,793,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I just read the last two pages. Poorly worded and thought out arguments by social conservatives trying to dodge what was put forward in the study. I didn't see one smart retort. Coincidence?

You're wrong!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,976,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
These "findings" are not surprising when one considers that the field has become dominated by 80% Liberals with Conservatives now a new minority, With the "tribal mentality" explained in this article by a reknown expert in BIAS, we can see that getting any other "findings" published would be next to impossible at this point in time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/science/08tier.html
Yeah, that must be it. I mean what would be the alternative?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,547,653 times
Quote:
I was googling around trying to find a studies that link fringe political views (from either side) to cognitive ability and found this study instead.

Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? — The American Magazine

I'm a little behind the times since it is from a few years ago. A researcher looked at political views and tried to link them to intelligence. It wasn't the case that conservatives in general or Republicans had lower intelligence levels, but social conservatives were shown to have lower levels of intelligence. That would include people who vote based on values and not conservative financial principles.

It's an interesting study. In thinking about the outcome, it does make sense to me. I've challenged social conservatives to debates on several fronts (as I do with people of all political mindsets) and in the end when all of their rationalizations are shot down, it all comes back to emotion as their justification. Perhaps these people have a left side of the brain that is weak and thus dominated by the right.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has found any other studies in similar peer reviewed journals.
I had one tell me the big flood killed the dinosaurs. That was to back his argument that the world is only 6000 years old.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,552,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Liberals are an historically parochial, small-minded, and opinionated bunch. Wasn't it Pauline Kael of The New York Times (that bastion of even-handed, unbiased reporting that every self-described liberal absolutely must read [or at least claim to read]) who upon hearing that Richard Nixon won the election was paraquoted as saying "I don't know how Richard Nixon could have won. I don't know anybody who voted for him!?
I've heard liberals say the exact same thing about conservatives. This whole "who's smarter" debate is a red herring leading the wingnuts on both sides of the aisle away from the truth, which is simply that there are highly intelligent people on either side along with a lot of simpletons. Neither side has a monopoly on intellect or stupidity.

However, it is interesting that partisans of either stripe perceive their opposition to be less intelligent than they are. How can both sides be right? I think that this phenomena illustrates the human brain's extraordinary capacity for self deception. I don't care who you are, your brain lies to you on a daily basis. The famed skeptic Michael Shermer has recently released a new book called "The Believing Brain" that deals with this very idea. The basic cognitive shortcoming addressed in the book is the tendency for people to first decide what to believe for emotional reasons and then to scurry around looking for evidence to support said belief while avoiding all evidence to the contrary.

I also think that the cognitive chasm between liberals and conservatives can be partly blamed on the left brain/right brain dichotomy. The human brain is divided into two hemispheres. The left hemisphere is the seat of logic and anylitical thought processes while the right hemisphere is more intuitive and creative. Although everybody uses both sides of the brain it is thought that most people favor one side over the other. Taking this into account it's easy to see how these two radically different cognitive styles would lead to radically different perceptions of reality. It follows that each style would have it's advantages as well as blind spots.

Last edited by Zekester; 07-14-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,552,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just think how happy those social conservatives will be the day Jesus returns to take them to hebbin and sends all those nasty, liberal elitists (and their commie universities) to hell!
I can always count on you for a laugh.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
More circumstantial evidence.

Ashkenazi Jews IQ 113 voted Democrat 79% in last Presidential election.

Asians...IQ 106 voted Democrat 62 % in last Presidential election.

Both of these groups have higher IQ's than your average white, non-hispanic. IQ 103 who voted Democrat 43% in last Presidential election.

College graduates vote slightly in favor of Dems.....non college graduates in favor of the GOP ( despite this subset being heavily black/hispanic and poor )

Exit Polls - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Just saying.
boy are you reaching on this one. How about the black IQ who voted for Obama or how about the average military oficer who voted GOP?

You are using really rediculous and even border line biggoted reasoning. Culture often influences our political views, not IQ. And IQ isn't the only way to measure intelligence. I remember, in the 60s when our local elementary school (which was middle to upper middle class) did not offer special classes or activities for the so call gifted. 2 of our children were identified as gifted, one with an IQ of from 160 to 180 (3 Stanford B tests) our principal reasoned, which he was right, gifted means very little. There are many wasy to measure someones intellegence. Thus your liberal reasoning can be shot down anytime.

nita

Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,154,996 times
Quote:
If you think these are poorly worded and thought-out you should try reading the actual study.
1200 community college students and 1600 foreign students from 73 countries- That's who he used in his "study". Oh brother! They really do depend on your not reading what they wrote...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies