Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes I get it...it's not a pure standardized IQ test....but IQ test scores have a strong correlation with SAT scores, remembering sequences of numbers, vocabulary, Military aptitude tests, etc. So we don't need to totally dismiss it but take it for what it is. Yet another piece of evidence.
and so what does that mean? again, our 3 kids (as I said 2 gifted) all took the SATs. The 2 with the lower IQ (supposited) had much higher scores than the "smartes" one. Tests are just a guideline and what does this have to do with the subject at hand anyway? Boy are you hung up on test scores.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,793,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I've heard liberals say the exact same thing about conservatives. This whole "who's smarter" debate is a red herring leading the wingnuts on both sides of the aisle away from the truth, which is simply that there are highly intelligent people on either side along with a lot of simpletons. Neither side has a monopoly on intellect or stupidity.

However, it is interesting that partisans of either stripe perceive their opposition to be less intelligent than they are. How can both sides be right? I think that this phenomena illustrates the human brain's extraordinary capacity for self deception. I don't care who you are, your brain lies to you on a daily basis. The famed skeptic Michael Shermer has recently released a new book called "The Believing Brain" that deals with this very idea. The basic cognitive shortcoming addressed in the book is the tendency for people to first decide what to believe for emotional reasons and then to scurry around looking for evidence to support said belief while avoiding all evidence to the contrary.

I also think that the cognitive chasm between liberals and conservatives can be partly blamed on the left brain/right brain dichotomy. The human brain is divided into two hemispheres. The left hemisphere is the seat of logic and anylitical thought processes while the right hemisphere is more intuitive and creative. Although everybody uses both sides of the brain it is thought that most people favor one side over the other. Taking this into account it's easy to see how these two radically different cognitive styles would lead to radically different perceptions of reality. It follows that each style would have it's advantages as well as blind spots.

I agree. I posted upthread that I think Myers Briggs personality classifications may help explain different thinking styles. Social conservative behavior matches more with "sensing" thinking styles, which are practical and experienced, and a temporal focus of past to present. Liberal behavior lines up better with "intuitive" type, which looks for broader inferences from fact, and often has a future focus (i.e., the way the world could be). The latter tend to do better on IQ tests and academics, but the former are better and task competence and work flow. IQ tests simply test one means of understanding, and I think they are pretty poor correlates of intelligence, and more importantly, personal motiviation and success.

However, I think you are right that general intelligence must be split across the political spectrum, and I agree it is delusional to think one is inherently smarter than another. But the different styles can make it hard to understand and communicate with one another.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,009,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I agree. I posted upthread that I think Myers Briggs personality classifications may help explain different thinking styles. Social conservative behavior matches more with "sensing" thinking styles, which are practical and experienced, and a temporal focus of past to present. Liberal behavior lines up better with "intuitive" type, which looks for broader inferences from fact, and often has a future focus (i.e., the way the world could be). The latter tend to do better on IQ tests and academics, but the former are better and task competence and work flow. IQ tests simply test one means of understanding, and I think they are pretty poor correlates of intelligence, and more importantly, personal motiviation and success.

However, I think you are right that general intelligence must be split across the political spectrum, and I agree it is delusional to think one is inherently smarter than another. But the different styles can make it hard to understand and communicate with one another.

Studies show liberals score higher on IQ tests, and IQ has the strongest correlation with what is described in Western societies as being "successful". Furthermore, the highest IQ nations have the most social programs, and the highest standards of living.

It's a bitter pill for right wingers to swallow I realize.

I'm a strong INTP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTP so know that I don't care if much if the truth hurts but know that it came from using reason. ..lol

Last edited by padcrasher; 07-14-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,976,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Studies show liberals score higher on IQ tests, and IQ has the strongest correlation with what is described in Western societies as being "successful". Furthermore, the highest IQ nations have the most social programs, and the highest standards of living.

It's a bitter pill for right wingers to swallow I realize.

I'm a strong INTP INTP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so know that I don't care if much if the truth hurts but know that it came from using reason. ..lol

I question the intelligence of anyone who uses the words all or never when making an argument. That is rarely the answer on tests and seldom the answer in life.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,200,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and so what does that mean? again, our 3 kids (as I said 2 gifted) all took the SATs. The 2 with the lower IQ (supposited) had much higher scores than the "smartes" one. Tests are just a guideline and what does this have to do with the subject at hand anyway? Boy are you hung up on test scores.

NIta
When you went to college, what did you learn in stats class about a sample size of 3. Perhaps you can ask your kids and explain it to them. By the way, I think you mean "smartest" not "smartes". The irony.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,315,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Study shows social conservatism linked to lower intelligence
Didn't need a study, all you have to do is read this forum.

"I can see Russia"

Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 PM

14,098 posts, read 15,126,391 times
IMO anyone on the extremes (right or Left) are generally impressionable, or mindless zombies, allthough the person who motivates the group is a socially an intellectual giant.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,537,304 times
Do any studies show that this dumbing down result exists in the Dem. party? We need to get this audio to the folks that did the study you are talking about, concerning conservatives. THIS is so shocking that we may, yet have to make it legal to administer a test to all voters to find if they know ANYthing about their favorite candidates!! sheesh...

Harlem voters - YouTube

Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,345,284 times
I think liberals tend to be smarter than conservatives in some respects, and to be fair and balanced, I think that sometimes conservatives tend to be more intelligent than liberals in others. I don't have anything other than my own anecdotal experience to go on, but that's been my impression over the course of my short life.

I think liberals are, by nature, more analytical. This is probably why they are more socially permissive, because they try to take simply black-white judgments out of the discussion, and they tend to be more open to nuanced ideas and conclusions. I think this is why liberals tend to be more 'academic'. They understand that things are not always as they seem.

On the other hand, ask liberals to do practical things like running a business, and they tend to be less apt in this respect. This is where conservative characteristics such as self-discipline, decisiveness, boldness, and consistency come into play. Liberals typically fail in this arena because they're too busy analyzing things when circumstances require judgment and action.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,537,304 times
Chickenfriedbananas, excellent post! *You* are much more fair and balanced than any liberal that I've had to suffer the company of, and that's a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies