U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 AM

3,045 posts, read 2,869,916 times

Advertisements

I was googling around trying to find a studies that link fringe political views (from either side) to cognitive ability and found this study instead.

Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? — The American Magazine

I'm a little behind the times since it is from a few years ago. A researcher looked at political views and tried to link them to intelligence. It wasn't the case that conservatives in general or Republicans had lower intelligence levels, but social conservatives were shown to have lower levels of intelligence. That would include people who vote based on values and not conservative financial principles.

It's an interesting study. In thinking about the outcome, it does make sense to me. I've challenged social conservatives to debates on several fronts (as I do with people of all political mindsets) and in the end when all of their rationalizations are shot down, it all comes back to emotion as their justification. Perhaps these people have a left side of the brain that is weak and thus dominated by the right.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has found any other studies in similar peer reviewed journals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM

9,396 posts, read 14,281,392 times
Quote:
o reiterate, people who subscribe to non-traditional ideas probably have above-average intellects, but that does not mean other smart people will like those ideas. This is a point often lost on liberals who work in universities or in the news media. They observe, usually correctly, that friends and acquaintances in their social circle are smarter than the average (and likely more conservative) people they encounter on the street. But too many elites see this correlation between smartness and liberalism as somehow a validation of their political views. They seem unaware that the wider world features plenty of intelligent people who are not professors or movie critics or government bureaucrats. Even among the nation’s smartest people, liberal elites could easily be in the minority politically, but different social circles keep them insulated from finding that out. The result is a convenient but damaging political meme that circulates among some people on the Left—the belief that their opponents simply can’t understand what makes for good policy.

The bottom line is that a political debate will never be resolved by measuring the IQs of groups on each side of the issue. Even if certain positions tend to be held by less intelligent people, there will usually be plenty of sharp thinkers who take the same side. Rather than focus on the intellectual deficiencies, real or imagined, of certain politicians and their supporters, people should strive to find the best and brightest spokesmen for the opposing side.

There is a certain devilish fun to contemplating the intelligence of liberals and conservatives, but it should have no effect on how we think about issues. Political debates would be better without it.
not quite "conservatives r dum lol"

Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM

9,600 posts, read 15,172,944 times
Liberals are more open-minded. This doesn't equate to higher or lower intelligence, though.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,767,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I was googling around trying to find a studies that link fringe political views (from either side) to cognitive ability and found this study instead.

I'm a little behind the times since it is from a few years ago. A researcher looked at political views and tried to link them to intelligence. It wasn't the case that conservatives in general or Republicans had lower intelligence levels, but social conservatives were shown to have lower levels of intelligence. That would include people who vote based on values and not conservative financial principles.

It's an interesting study. In thinking about the outcome, it does make sense to me. I've challenged social conservatives to debates on several fronts (as I do with people of all political mindsets) and in the end when all of their rationalizations are shot down, it all comes back to emotion as their justification. Perhaps these people have a left side of the brain that is weak and thus dominated by the right.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has found any other studies in similar peer reviewed journals.
These "findings" are not surprising when one considers that the field has become dominated by 80% Liberals with Conservatives now a new minority, With the "tribal mentality" explained in this article by a reknown expert in BIAS, we can see that getting any other "findings" published would be next to impossible at this point in time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/science/08tier.html

Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,614,479 times
This subject has been hashed and re-hashed countless times here on CD, and all referencing this almost two year old article.

Move along. Nothing new here.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 AM

10,876 posts, read 12,459,713 times
Just from looking at political forums and news outlets alone it's clear to see intelligence isn't one of the strong points on the right.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 AM

20,444 posts, read 23,870,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

No surprise there.

Ken

Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,767,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Just from looking at political forums and news outlets alone it's clear to see intelligence isn't one of the strong points on the right.
A well thought out, intelligent response, indeed.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 AM

14,131 posts, read 28,183,722 times
I think it's the other way round. Social conservatism makes people stupid. Seriously though, I'm not sure it's about native intelligence so much as education or lack thereof. People who are socially conservative are likely that way because they didn't have access to a world class education. Had they grown up in better circumstances they could have turned out quite differently.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 AM

3,045 posts, read 2,869,916 times
I guess more study is needed. Oddly, nobody who is socially conservative have identified themselves on this thread. These studies are great to put out there when you hear someone championing loudly a socially conservative idea that you can shoot down in 2 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or